Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Lerner should have controlled Martin O'Neill better than he did ( my opinion is had he have done that he would have been deemed as another HDE, but never the less I accept he should be in control) ....mistake/negative

Lerner is never here, I can't see how a Chairman/Owner can make crucial decisions when he isn't here, plus not good for club moral....mistake/negative

Lerner has appointed 2 managers where arguably better decisions could have been made ..one was unfortunate, but still wrong imo....the other a mitigating disaster...mistake/negative

Lerner has created an austerity programme which is unpopular, but necessary, to address the losses mainly due to poor signings, both in terms of fee/wages v performance. Positive( in terms being cruel to be kind)

The respective Managers have bought all these players that have since left and are currently here.

This current squad good, bad or indifferent is the result of dealings by the respective managers during this Chairmans stewardship.

sorry for being a bit concise, but like the players have to be responsible for THEIR play, don't the managers have to be Responsible for THEIR transfer dealings?

PS You can blame whoever you like for it,but this squad is the direct result of years and years of generally poor transfer dealings

Edited by TRO

He wouldn't have scored any fewer goals than Weimann, but would have been better at keeping the ball up front.

No, you're right, shoot me now.

Didnt he get 1 goal in his final season here? im sure Weimann will beat that

I can't believe I'm even typing this myself, but here goes.....

I wonder if Heskey would have been a useful foil for Benteke this season?

He wouldn't have scored any fewer goals than Weimann, but would have been better at keeping the ball up front.

No, you're right, shoot me now.

I agree. I think Heskey would have done very well with PL's style of football.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Lerner should have controlled Martin O'Neill better than he did ( my opinion is had he have done that he would have been deemed as another HDE, but never the less I accept he should be in control) ....mistake/negative

Lerner is never here, I can't see how a Chairman/Owner can make crucial decisions when he isn't here, plus not good for club moral....mistake/negative

Lerner has appointed 2 managers where arguably better decisions could have been made ..one was unfortunate, but still wrong imo....the other a mitigating disaster...mistake/negative

Lerner has created an austerity programme which is unpopular, but necessary, to address the losses mainly due to poor signings, both in terms of fee/wages v performance. Positive( in terms being cruel to be kind)

The respective Managers have bought all these players that have since left and are currently here.

This current squad good, bad or indifferent is the result of dealings by the respective managers during this Chairmans stewardship.

sorry for being a bit concise, but like the players have to be responsible for THEIR play, don't the managers have to be Responsible for THEIR transfer dealings?

Don't apologise, you're not being concise....lol

I don't really understand what point/points you are making?  Are you blaming the chairman, the players, previous managers, Lambert or everyone?

Edited by VillaCas
  • Like 1

My thoughts on Lambert are he is not tactically savvy. He seems to get the initial set up right from time to time, but when it is wrong it takes him ages to switch it up. He is also caught out often by the opposing manager's substitutions.

That being said, I still want Lambert here for one very simple reason. Any monkey can be taught football tactics. They are not that difficult to understand, and, like anything else, you get better with repetition.

Lambert has a skill that cannot be taught, however. His man management abilities seems to be too drawer. The players like to play for him and always put in a shift. Those skills cannot be ignored, and after three consecutive managers that could not maintain relationships with thier players, I am shocked no one else has mentioned this particular talent of Lambert's.

My thoughts on Lambert are he is not tactically savvy. He seems to get the initial set up right from time to time, but when it is wrong it takes him ages to switch it up. He is also caught out often by the opposing manager's substitutions.

That being said, I still want Lambert here for one very simple reason. Any monkey can be taught football tactics. They are not that difficult to understand, and, like anything else, you get better with repetition.

Lambert has a skill that cannot be taught, however. His man management abilities seems to be too drawer. The players like to play for him and always put in a shift. Those skills cannot be ignored, and after three consecutive managers that could not maintain relationships with thier players, I am shocked no one else has mentioned this particular talent of Lambert's.

Perhaps if you could spare an afternoon to bring Lambert up to speed, everything would be alright

(you really do get all sorts on this forum)

Think the home games against Palace and Swansea are huge for PL. Lets be honest at home we have been dreadful, we have yet to score a goal in the first half at VP, we've only scored 6 goals and thats in 3 games but yet we have to buy into this, in it together. So in 5 games we haven't scored. HH, I really hope PL understands that the home performances are unacceptable, to fans its now becoming a chore rather than going to think we'll actually see our team put on a display.

I think you are always going to get reactive comments after a bad result. We have to look at the bigger picture., We have made progress whilst dramatically reducing out wage bill under Lambert.. FACT! 

We need to give him time to get us where all us fans want to be. 

You don't need to buy into anything. If u think it isn't good enough then fine. Boo the team or the manager or player if they don't win. You are entitled to do so. Maybe the away fans aren't as frustrated with the players and they feel more relaxed on the road?

So do you think it is good enough? This isn't about booing nor is it the fans fault that our defenders can't do the basics right, nor is the the fans fault that we can't take a corner properly nor muster up any type of chance at VP.

On a side-note I also go to away games.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

Perhaps if you could spare an afternoon to bring Lambert up to speed, everything would be alright

(you really do get all sorts on this forum)

Yes clearly Lambert has learned nothing through his career. He didn't understand the game when he win the European cup with Dortmund of captained Celtic to the uefa cup final. He doesn't understand the game. You are right. It's nothing to do with lack of investment of lack of quality. Plus, a Norwich fan told me it was a pure fluke how they won back to back promotion but in those games the other managers never made subs to catch him out. Then when they got into the premier league and finished so high up the league I think the other managers that season also didn't make subs. I might risk a ban here and I'm not really caring but what a complete and utter pile of u know what you have written above!

Sorry. No way is this post written by anyone working in the coaching staff at Aston Villa as HH is assumed to be. 

This seems personal, family, kid, girlfriend...

I think you are always going to get reactive comments after a bad result. We have to look at the bigger picture., We have made progress whilst dramatically reducing out wage bill under Lambert.. FACT! 

We need to give him time to get us where all us fans want to be. 

absolutely, we only have last season to go on with him working with most of this group and there was a dramatic upturn in form after christmas last year. if we do the saem again this season after amassing more points in the first half of the season then we'll be on for a comfortable mid table finish and some more prize money etc. 

even if lerner only backs him with a similar amount in the summer we'll see further improvement again. it's not going to happen quickly, but let's give him thte time to make it happen. i doubt anyone is thinking after the start to the season that we are playing particularly well, or even close to what we want to be seeing (especially at home). some of us though aren't slating the manager every day on here, hopefully those that do are a vocal minority who have no patience.

• Like 1

You don't need to buy into anything. If u think it isn't good enough then fine. Boo the team or the manager or player if they don't win. You are entitled to do so. Maybe the away fans aren't as frustrated with the players and they feel more relaxed on the road?

No, our home form is down to Lambert and his one-dimensional tactics which are better suited away.

I'm not saying it is. I'm saying u don't NEED to buy into anything. Less face it, u either do or u don't. If u do, u will accept small progress this season in the anticipation and hope of it is another stepping stone to better things. If you don't, well u pay your money u are entitled to feel the team should be doing so much better. It's all down to what u expect in the managers second season and with what little resources he has had!

There has been no progress in respect to home displays I'm afraid, in fact the football has gone backwards if anything.

• Like 1

To cool tensions a bit here, don't sweat it too much, HH. I honestly think Raymond was just trying to be positive and this place tends to be a cesspool of over the board negativity after a loss. We all appreciate the information you provide us and its best to step away for a little bit and not get too wound up by some of the people on here.

Hairy Hands

I guess an eloquent case could be built for Billy Mcneill or Alex McLeish or even David O'Leary all had distinguished football careers....find it hard to suspect, they no nothing about football.

I would suspect Alex Ferguson, Arsene Venger or Jose mourinho, couldn't hold a candle to them in their playing days ( don't know if Arsene actually played.0

no the art is getting the right players and then getting them to do it right.

......right now its far from right, lets hope the next few weeks it gets noticeably better.

• Like 1

So do you think it is good enough? This isn't about booing nor is it the fans fault that our defenders can't do the basics right, nor is the the fans fault that we can't take a corner properly nor muster up any type of chance at VP.

On a side-note I also go to away games.

I'm sure no fan, player or official is happy with our home form.

Lamberts team on Saturday against the champions cost £18m to assemble

With those kind of resources at our disposal it is always going to be a stuttering progression if at all

With the kind of money at our disposal we've got no right to be anything other than bottom three - the fact that we are currently 11th is staggering really

I'm disappointed Sikh as your previous comments have been very well considered - I don't think Lambert should be given a free ride, but from my perspective I see a guy desperately trying to push my team up the league. Thank heavens that he is willing to give it a go to be honest becuase I really don't see many out there who would take the hit to their reputations that PL has

If its 'entertainment' people are looking for that is 12-18 months away (hopefully) - at the moment it is about survival and rebuilding

I'm not saying it is. I'm saying u don't NEED to buy into anything. Less face it, u either do or u don't. If u do, u will accept small progress this season in the anticipation and hope of it is another stepping stone to better things. If you don't, well u pay your money u are entitled to feel the team should be doing so much better. It's all down to what u expect in the managers second season and with what little resources he has had!

OK HH we had a good finish to the end of last season and were playing some attractive attacking football then in the summer PL gets a further £20m to reinforce the squad and bring in more players could you please give us your thoughts on why the performances seem to have dropped off this season?