Paul Lambert

Pilchard

with all the mitigating circumstances put together with the eloquence of an OJ Simpson trial....whats stopping us from closing players down. we are not asking for the earth.

These lidl/Aldi  type players we have bought that we keep getting reminded of.....can at least stay close and close down

We played 2 better teams in Arsenal and Man City and never had such a torrid time.

I watched sylla in point trotting around with a corporation bus between him and his marker....I have also seen him in games do the exact same opposite and give his opposite number a tough time.

I think the arguments on here are being slightly misconstrued.

I'm not coming on here and advocating a change of manager, but I can tell you this, if doesn't get a grip of this home form....he will be in trouble.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Isa......I find u a very unhappy man. So tell me, has the manager had more than enough money? He has spent, in my opinion, peanuts for the rebuilding job required. You are boring me a little now. Actually, quite a lot.

As does your neverending whitewashing bore me. Despite Lambert claiming most of the reported fees last season were false, the accounts show this wasn't the case.

So with this in mind, can you stop going on about how little he has to spend if that is at all possible? £43m in two seasons isn't to be scoffed at.

43 Million is sod all to rebuild a squad Isa to be fair, if you average that across 16 players it's sodding peanuts along with the wages we offer. Also if PF has mentioned that figure it would not surprise me if the man actually included players signing on fees/ wages in that figure. A similar tactic used by Ellis in the past.

• Like 1

Come on guys, 

we don't have to agree with each others opinions to remain civil.

I write on here and when i have good reason to change my opinion i will.

HH is good poster and maybe it has all got a little bit personal for his liking....BUT HEY WE ARE ALL VILLA FANS

.....and that is our common goal.

Ps just like the villa park staff, sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong.

• Like 1

Come on guys, 

we don't have to agree with each others opinions to remain civil.

I write on here and when i have good reason to change my opinion i will.

HH is good poster and maybe it has all got a little bit personal for his liking....BUT HEY WE ARE ALL VILLA FANS

.....and that is our common goal.

Ps just like the villa park staff, sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong.

Hey look at that. I agree with something you wrote ;)

with all the mitigating circumstances put together with the eloquence of an OJ Simpson trial....whats stopping us from closing players down. we are not asking for the earth.

These lidl/Aldi  type players we have bought that we keep getting reminded of.....can at least stay close and close down

We played 2 better teams in Arsenal and Man City and never had such a torrid time.

I watched sylla in point trotting around with a corporation bus between him and his marker....I have also seen him in games do the exact same opposite and give his opposite number a tough time.

I think the arguments on here are being slightly misconstrued.

I'm not coming on here and advocating a change of manager, but I can tell you this, if doesn't get a gripe of this home form....he will be in trouble.

I've been saying to my old man all season, that when we do press high up the pitch the reaction you hear from the fans is huge and I just don't get why the manager/coaches/players don't realise that this is what gets us off our seats and really gives us a boost. If we get a boost, I'm sure the players would feed off that and perform better.

The higher up the pitch you win the ball, the less distance you have to take it to the opposition goal. Of course there are times to do this, but home against Sunderland was crying out for it, as one example. Get the midfield higher up the pitch and stop the opposition from coming out, as knocking the ball around at the back and trying to draw teams out clearly isn't working.

• Like 1

- The current team cost and earns a quarter of McLs team

yet

- They finished higher and with more points last season than McLs team

- This season we're currently 11th

- We have 5 more points than at this time last season

- We are 9 points ahead of 12/13 in like for like fixtures

- We are now months away from being able to ditch the majority of the bomb-squad and so hopefully a few months away from seeing some decent quality come in

On the down side

- We want more 'entertainment'

I wonder if Randy would spring for cheerleaders?

No Randy would probably not spring for cheerleaders, too expensive.

My grief with the current way we are playing is not soo much the entertainment value, i very much think that for a club run like us every point will be vital at the end of the season.

My worry is that playing like this, not controlling the game and not having a (to me at least) clear gameplan to fall back on, especially with the type of players we have will not work in the long run. I don't think we will continue to pick up points like we have at the start of the season if we continue to play this way. We are relying too much on luck and moments of brilliance for my liking. 

Lambert badly needs more backing from Lerner that i doubt he'll get, and Lambert need's to spend whatever he get's on the right positions, not on more players "for the future"

This is exactly how I feel

We're not playing well and I'm concerned that we will not stay out of the relegation zone - every team gets injuries but when you are being run as close to the bone as we are they have a massive impact.

Delph will be back the weekend but now Gabby is missing, Baker looked crocked on Saturday as did Luna - I'm sure PL would not play them if he had options. I doubt Vlaar will be back

Weimann and Benteke who were great last seaon have been pants so far this season

Albrighton had a decent game on Sunday (his first for about 12 months) but are we confident that he will continue to produce?

Lerner has got the view (I think) that "I'm saving my money and hope we don't get relegated"

The next 4 games will define our season - two scenarios - we do ok and get say 6 or 7 points, dont invest and limp on this season to a 45 or 46 point finish or we get 0-3 points, buy another couple of makeweights in the window and hopefully limp on a 40 point finish

If Lambert had been bakced with Sissoko, Kiyotake, Lukaku it would all be a different story

Maybe, maybe not....its not football manager ( the game)

these players have to be blended, they may have all been flops for us, that's where the managers nous plays a big part....big money only raises the odds of them being ok, doesn't guarantee anything.

You don't need to buy into anything. If u think it isn't good enough then fine. Boo the team or the manager or player if they don't win. You are entitled to do so. Maybe the away fans aren't as frustrated with the players and they feel more relaxed on the road?

So do you think it is good enough? This isn't about booing nor is it the fans fault that our defenders can't do the basics right, nor is the the fans fault that we can't take a corner properly nor muster up any type of chance at VP.

On a side-note I also go to away games.

I'm sure no fan, player or official is happy with our home form.

Lamberts team on Saturday against the champions cost £18m to assemble

With those kind of resources at our disposal it is always going to be a stuttering progression if at all

With the kind of money at our disposal we've got no right to be anything other than bottom three - the fact that we are currently 11th is staggering really

I'm disappointed Sikh as your previous comments have been very well considered - I don't think Lambert should be given a free ride, but from my perspective I see a guy desperately trying to push my team up the league. Thank heavens that he is willing to give it a go to be honest becuase I really don't see many out there who would take the hit to their reputations that PL has

If its 'entertainment' people are looking for that is 12-18 months away (hopefully) - at the moment it is about survival and rebuilding

I am posing questions, Do I want Lambert to go? No, think he is the right man to rebuild this club. However he should be questioned on numerous things, its all well and good saying look at his budget, and I respect all that. However football at VP is dross and there is no hiding from that and PL must recognise that. He made loads of statements at the beginning about vibrant football, pressing, effort, try to win games. Not seen any of that at VP this season, have you?

Your right, the football has been very poor at Villa Park both in terms of style and results.  Other teams have figured us out and PL has still not found a way for us to win or at least carry a threat in home games consistently.

The onus is on him to change this. It’s obvious that we lack creativity when we cannot rely on counter attacking.  

But to be fair PL must has been trying to improve on this. He has changed the line-up and approach at home on several occasion but has yet to find a solution. It’s not like we have talented players sitting in the stands.

His latest attempt is to give Albrighton a go. I’m sure Gardner will be given a chance too.

Grealish has to be in his thoughts now and I’d except him to be recalled unless we have adequate money to spend in January which seem unlikely.

But u have to play what suits the players. Players dictate systems. Let's say a creative player comes in, don't u think the system will be changed to utilise them? There isn't anyone who can create or control a game right now.

But these are PL players now! Why out of 16 players has PL chosen not to buy a creative player? He's bought Helenius, Tonev, Bennett, Bowery and KEA who are at best squad fillers and their absence would not be noted. We are better but still not great defensively but this seems to be at the expense of possession and passing?

because you cant buy fillet steak with value mince money

.....and you've no responded to my earlier post regarding your plan to operate for two seasons with a 15 man squad

Well maybe that's the reason why most of us are so frustrated! We should have the money for fillet steak it's only because Lerner has ruined our club by pissing money up the wall on rubbish players and rubbish managers over the past few years that we are buying value mince.

I looked at your LONG answer yes maybe 4 players would have been a little to light but I think our current Premier League squad is bolstered to the 25 with a few youth players who have never played for the first team and you haven't counted them. Plus having looked at some of the transfers over the past few seasons for my £10m we could have got a Cabeye, Ben Arfa, Yacob and Figeroua OK we would have blown the ridiculous wages budget  but hey-ho! If Lerner wants a Premier League team on Championship wages then he's more of a fool than I thought.

not defending him here, just trying to put things in perspective if I may

....which player did Lerner buy?

But u have to play what suits the players. Players dictate systems. Let's say a creative player comes in, don't u think the system will be changed to utilise them? There isn't anyone who can create or control a game right now.

But these are PL players now! Why out of 16 players has PL chosen not to buy a creative player? He's bought Helenius, Tonev, Bennett, Bowery and KEA who are at best squad fillers and their absence would not be noted. We are better but still not great defensively but this seems to be at the expense of possession and passing?

.....and you've no responded to my earlier post regarding your plan to operate for two seasons with a 15 man squad

Well maybe that's the reason why most of us are so frustrated! We should have the money for fillet steak it's only because Lerner has ruined our club by pissing money up the wall on rubbish players and rubbish managers over the past few years that we are buying value mince.

I looked at your LONG answer yes maybe 4 players would have been a little to light but I think our current Premier League squad is bolstered to the 25 with a few youth players who have never played for the first team and you haven't counted them. Plus having looked at some of the transfers over the past few seasons for my £10m we could have got a Cabeye, Ben Arfa, Yacob and Figeroua OK we would have blown the ridiculous wages budget  but hey-ho! If Lerner wants a Premier League team on Championship wages then he's more of a fool than I thought.

I know you think you're joining in with the debate but you're really not

If your wife gives you £1 to get some shopping, does she complain when you come back with mince not steak

If you've only got money for mince thats what you buy

Edited by VillaCas

Well maybe that's the reason why most of us are so frustrated! We should have the money for fillet steak it's only because Lerner has ruined our club by pissing money up the wall on rubbish players and rubbish managers over the past few years that we are buying value mince.

I looked at your LONG answer yes maybe 4 players would have been a little to light but I think our current Premier League squad is bolstered to the 25 with a few youth players who have never played for the first team and you haven't counted them. Plus having looked at some of the transfers over the past few seasons for my £10m we could have got a Cabeye, Ben Arfa, Yacob and Figeroua OK we would have blown the ridiculous wages budget but hey-ho! If Lerner wants a Premier League team on Championship wages then he's more of a fool than I thought.

Stephen Ireland

• Like 1

Well maybe that's the reason why most of us are so frustrated! We should have the money for fillet steak it's only because Lerner has ruined our club by pissing money up the wall on rubbish players and rubbish managers over the past few years that we are buying value mince.

I looked at your LONG answer yes maybe 4 players would have been a little to light but I think our current Premier League squad is bolstered to the 25 with a few youth players who have never played for the first team and you haven't counted them. Plus having looked at some of the transfers over the past few seasons for my £10m we could have got a Cabeye, Ben Arfa, Yacob and Figeroua OK we would have blown the ridiculous wages budget but hey-ho! If Lerner wants a Premier League team on Championship wages then he's more of a fool than I thought.

If your wife gives you £1 to get some shopping, does she complain when you come back with mince not steak

If you've only got money for mincethats what you buy

No but if she kept giving me £1 and had a Shit load to buy clothes with etc i wouldnt stay around long

If you've only got money for mincethats what you buy

No but if she kept giving me £1 and had a Shit load to buy clothes with etc i wouldnt stay around long

Was trying to put it in terms an OAP would understand

Our away record and performances such as against Fulham you mean.

This is just cherry-picking now. What about Southampton, Norwich and Arsenal? What about the fact that before last weekend we hadn't lost away to a team outside the top 4 for over a year? What about the fact that before the Fulham game we'd lost just once away from home all season, and that was a narrow loss to Chelsea to a goal that shouldn't have been allowed.

Accusing me of cherry picking yet you doing exactly the same with stats.

What about the performances against West Ham and Hull and mentioning a goal that shouldn't have been allowed.

We were two down against WBA and could have been four down with missed chances. All conjecture and what ifs.

I'm not even cherry-picking really, just countering your own cherry-picked example.

We have the 6th best away record in the league. That is a fact. If our manager and players really are so bad then how come our away record is so good?

Not cherry picking Mantis, really?

You've just selected one part of our performance in the season ignoring other performances within that selection and totally ignoring the overall to include our home form. You've also criticised posters for using one form of stats yet you have also done the same.

Please don't accuse me of something which you are guilty of yourself.

You responded with one example (the Fulham game) when the away form was mentioned. I responded to that by pointing out that we've won more away from home than we've lost this season.

We were talking about the away form FFS! Why would the home form be mentioned there?

I'm not guilty of what I'm accusing you of.

No we're in the Lambert thread and everything concerning Lambert is open to discussion and that includes home and away form of the team.

As pointed out to you in my previous post you are guilty of 'cherry picking' and i've quoted you examples of that and will continue to do so whenever you do it which is on a regular basis. I also see you've failed to back your statement concerning people condemning Lambert to failure no matter what he does which isn't surprising. 

No we're in the Lambert thread and everything concerning Lambert is open to discussion and that includes home and away form of the team.

As pointed out to you in my previous post you are guilty of 'cherry picking' and i've quoted you examples of that and will continue to do so whenever you do it which is on a regular basis.

You seem to have forgotten how this discussion originally started. In case you've forgotten, here's a reminder:

- Somebody questioned why our home form is so bad

- You suggested that this was due to "crap purchases and a manager that can't get the best out of them"

- I countered this and asked why if that was the case do we have such a good away record by comparison

- You then gave the Fulham game as an example to counter this and I in turn replied to that by pointing out the Arsenal, Norwich and Southampton games

This particular conversation wasn't about home form. It was about away form - that's why the home form didn't get mentioned.

I haven't cherry-picked.

As pointed out to you in my previous post you are guilty of 'cherry picking' and i've quoted you examples of that and will continue to do so whenever you do it which is on a regular basis.

You seem to have forgotten how this discussion originally started. In case you've forgotten, here's a reminder:

- Somebody questioned why our home form is so bad

- You suggested that this was due to "crap purchases and a manager that can't get the best out of them"

- I countered this and asked why if that was the case do we have such a good away record by comparison

- You then gave the Fulham game as an example to counter this and I in turn replied to that by pointing out the Arsenal, Norwich and Southampton games

This particular conversation wasn't about home form. It was about away form - that's why the home form didn't get mentioned.

I haven't cherry-picked.

You have cherry picked concerning stats and then complained about other people doing it which is consistent in the way that you post and home form was mentioned in the stat quoted which was having the lowest tally at home through all four divisions.

I see you still haven't produced any evidence of posters condemning Lambert to failure no matter what he does and i see you have editied that out of my post. I wonder why that is? 

What have I cherry-picked?

I didn't edit anything out of your post, but I didn't respond to it either because that would be post on poster.

Note how the first bolded part of my post at 2.35pm doesn't appear when you quote it again in your reply at 2.40pm and I then questioned you on that in my post at 4.08pm. You replied by stating 'I didn't edit anything out of your post.'

Care to explain Mantis since this isn't the first time you've edited my posts to favour your own debate?

Jesus Christ, this isn't a **** interrogation.

Yeah fair enough I forgot about that, but I edited it out because I wasn't going to respond to it for reasons I gave earlier.

Just out of curiosity though, on what other occasions have I edited your posts to "favour my own debate"?