Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Loving this forum today. Very fiery!

I can't remember if it's always like this in the run up to Xmas but one plausible theory is that everyone's been overindulging at their Xmas parties, then head straight for Villatalk and open both barrels!

Can't name individual posters who have made me laugh a lot over the past couple of pages because that's a VT crime, but they know who they are.

I'm stone-cold sober, so let me lob in one point. Getting your team to 11th in the Premier League does not exempt a manager from criticism if the football is often dire, particularly at VP where most of the paying fans go to watch them.

Look at the flak McL was taking when we were ninth at a similar point in his season.

So will people please stop just trotting out the "We're 11th" slogan as if it is any form of argument.

Yet you have the nerve to use "Look at the flak McL was taking when we were ninth at a similar point in his season." as your slogan. Ridiculous.

Edited by villan_007

I can't remember if it's always like this in the run up to Xmas but one plausible theory is that everyone's been overindulging at their Xmas parties, then head straight for Villatalk and open both barrels!

Can't name individual posters who have made me laugh a lot over the past couple of pages because that's a VT crime, but they know who they are.

I'm stone-cold sober, so let me lob in one point. Getting your team to 11th in the Premier League does not exempt a manager from criticism if the football is often dire, particularly at VP where most of the paying fans go to watch them.

Look at the flak McL was taking when we were ninth at a similar point in his season.

So will people please stop just trotting out the "We're 11th" slogan as if it is any form of argument.

I just want peace and love on this forum.

The problem with this forum is the moment somebody differs from what is seen as normal, people throw crap at them, gifs, they gang up and cause hell. ITK or not, it is not right.

Edited by dodgyknees

Isa......I find u a very unhappy man. So tell me, has the manager had more than enough money? He has spent, in my opinion, peanuts for the rebuilding job required. You are boring me a little now. Actually, quite a lot.

As does your neverending whitewashing bore me. Despite Lambert claiming most of the reported fees last season were false, the accounts show this wasn't the case.

So with this in mind, can you stop going on about how little he has to spend if that is at all possible? £43m in two seasons isn't to be scoffed at.

In all fairness are you being serious? We are talking 16 players who arrived since PL came here.  Do you really think that sort of outlay is significant?!

PL has overseen a seismic transition in the direction of this club.

We have gone from having one of the highest pay bills in the Premier League (higher than Spurs) to being on course to having one of the lowest at the end of the season.

He has had to shed so many underperforming highly paid senior players, Bent, Given, Hutton, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Cuellar, Ireland, Makoun etc. and replaced them under the financial constraints imposed on him by the club both in terms of wages and transfer fees.

He has basically had to work under similar conditions to the mangers of clubs relegated to the Championship but do so while remaining in the Premier League.

The result will of course be a squad devoid of star players. We cannot attract them any longer and the best we can hope for is filling a squad with honest pro’s and youngsters who have potential.

If it works we will end up back where we started. A mid table club, capable of a cup run with a few outstanding players that we eventually sell on.

Except we will be in much healthier place financially. At this point PL and RL will sit down again and plot a course for the continued development of the club.

If you do not agree with this approach then throw your toys out of the pram but at least recognise that these are the constraints PL is working under.  

• Like 3

Yet you have the nerve to use "Look at the flak McL was taking when we were ninth at a similar point in his season." as your slogan. Ridiculous.

Um, that's not a slogan. It's an argument by analogy.

Edited by briny_ear

- The current team cost and earns a quarter of McLs team

yet

- They finished higher and with more points last season than McLs team

- This season we're currently 11th

- We have 5 more points than at this time last season

- We are 9 points ahead of 12/13 in like for like fixtures

- We are now months away from being able to ditch the majority of the bomb-squad and so hopefully a few months away from seeing some decent quality come in

On the down side

- We want more 'entertainment'

I wonder if Randy would spring for cheerleaders?

Edited by VillaCas
  • Like 2

Isa......I find u a very unhappy man. So tell me, has the manager had more than enough money? He has spent, in my opinion, peanuts for the rebuilding job required. You are boring me a little now. Actually, quite a lot.

As does your neverending whitewashing bore me. Despite Lambert claiming most of the reported fees last season were false, the accounts show this wasn't the case.

So with this in mind, can you stop going on about how little he has to spend if that is at all possible? £43m in two seasons isn't to be scoffed at.

In all fairness are you being serious? We are talking 16 players who arrived since PL came here.  Do you really think that sort of outlay is significant?!

PL has overseen a seismic transition in the direction of this club.

We have gone from having one of the highest pay bills in the Premier League (higher than Spurs) to being on course to having one of the lowest at the end of the season.

He has had to shed so many underperforming highly paid senior players, Bent, Given, Hutton, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Cuellar, Ireland, Makoun etc. and replaced them under the financial constraints imposed on him by the club both in terms of wages and transfer fees.

He has basically had to work under similar conditions to the mangers of clubs relegated to the Championship but do so while remaining in the Premier League.

The result will of course be a squad devoid of star players. We cannot attract them any longer and the best we can hope for is filling a squad with honest pro’s and youngsters who have potential.

If it works we will end up back where we started. A mid table club, capable of a cup run with a few outstanding players that we eventually sell on.

Except we will be in much healthier place financially. At this point PL and RL will sit down again and plot a course for the continued development of the club.

If you do not agree with this approach then throw your toys out of the pram but at least recognise that these are the constraints PL is working under.  

Great post....but sadly you are wasting your time

You don't need to buy into anything. If u think it isn't good enough then fine. Boo the team or the manager or player if they don't win. You are entitled to do so. Maybe the away fans aren't as frustrated with the players and they feel more relaxed on the road?

So do you think it is good enough? This isn't about booing nor is it the fans fault that our defenders can't do the basics right, nor is the the fans fault that we can't take a corner properly nor muster up any type of chance at VP.

On a side-note I also go to away games.

I'm sure no fan, player or official is happy with our home form.

Lamberts team on Saturday against the champions cost £18m to assemble

With those kind of resources at our disposal it is always going to be a stuttering progression if at all

With the kind of money at our disposal we've got no right to be anything other than bottom three - the fact that we are currently 11th is staggering really

I'm disappointed Sikh as your previous comments have been very well considered - I don't think Lambert should be given a free ride, but from my perspective I see a guy desperately trying to push my team up the league. Thank heavens that he is willing to give it a go to be honest becuase I really don't see many out there who would take the hit to their reputations that PL has

If its 'entertainment' people are looking for that is 12-18 months away (hopefully) - at the moment it is about survival and rebuilding

I am posing questions, Do I want Lambert to go? No, think he is the right man to rebuild this club. However he should be questioned on numerous things, its all well and good saying look at his budget, and I respect all that. However football at VP is dross and there is no hiding from that and PL must recognise that. He made loads of statements at the beginning about vibrant football, pressing, effort, try to win games. Not seen any of that at VP this season, have you?

So goes another ITK because of the idiots on here

Shame, he was such a nice chap.

Two things:

Firstly, people like him love the sound of their own voice and the sycophantic fawning that their snippets bring, so he'll be back.

Secondly, the club love to release information via "unofficial" channels, so even if he isn't, somebody else will be made to feel special by the club and used as unwitting rumour mules.  There've been loads of people on here and other forums over the years, the club have been doing it since Lerner first rocked up.

• Like 3

Morpheus can't be here today but he has left me instruction for how to respond to jsut such a post

In all fairness are you being serious? We are talking 16 players who arrived since PL came here.  Do you really think that sort of outlay is significant?!  He could have bought fewer but better players

PL has overseen a seismic transition in the direction of this club. Yes, but which direction - he seems to be taking us in the wrong direction

We have gone from having one of the highest pay bills in the Premier League (higher than Spurs) to being on course to having one of the lowest at the end of the season. or one of the highest paid team in the Championship if this carries on

He has had to shed so many underperforming highly paid senior players, Bent, Given, Hutton, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Cuellar, Ireland, Makoun etc. and replaced them under the financial constraints imposed on him by the club both in terms of wages and transfer fees. He should have kept those players and found a way to get the best out of them

He has basically had to work under similar conditions to the mangers of clubs relegated to the Championship but do so while remaining in the Premier League. If we lose the next <insert a number of games here> we will be in the relegation zone

The result will of course be a squad devoid of star players. We cannot attract them any longer and the best we can hope for is filling a squad with honest pro’s and youngsters who have potential.  He should have found better young players....like Roy Keane, just one example. Look at Sissoko - he only cost £2.5m you know

If it works we will end up back where we started. A mid table club, capable of a cup run with a few outstanding players that we eventually sell on. You'll never sell any of those players they're all crap. Do you think anyone would buy <insert current worst performing signing here>

Except we will be in much healthier place financially. At this point PL and RL will sit down again and plot a course for the continued development of the club. at this point i acknowledge that this is a problem of RLs making but continue to hold PL fully responsible

If you do not agree with this approach then throw your toys out of the pram but at least recognise that these are the constraints PL is working under.  at this point acknowledge the constaints but point out that PL is limited and is certainly no <insert name of manager whose team has won that week>

Edited by VillaCas

I am posing questions, Do I want Lambert to go? No, think he is the right man to rebuild this club. However he should be questioned on numerous things, its all well and good saying look at his budget, and I respect all that. However football at VP is dross and there is no hiding from that and PL must recognise that. He made loads of statements at the beginning about vibrant football, pressing, effort, try to win games. Not seen any of that at VP this season, have you?

....no but I don't see where his options are? Injuries and off-colour players have a major effect on us

yet

- We are now months away from being able to ditch the majority of the bomb-squad and so hopefully a few months away from seeing some decent quality come in

On the down side

No Randy would probably not spring for cheerleaders, too expensive.

My grief with the current way we are playing is not soo much the entertainment value, i very much think that for a club run like us every point will be vital at the end of the season.

My worry is that playing like this, not controlling the game and not having a (to me at least) clear gameplan to fall back on, especially with the type of players we have will not work in the long run. I don't think we will continue to pick up points like we have at the start of the season if we continue to play this way. We are relying too much on luck and moments of brilliance for my liking. 

Lambert badly needs more backing from Lerner that i doubt he'll get, and Lambert need's to spend whatever he get's on the right positions, not on more players "for the future"

Lerner's next card after the 'oh dear four high earners' will be to say "I gave you the manager you asked for and now you want him out, guess we need to rebuild"

New manager, more cheap players, the circle continues.

I can see it coming.

yet

On the down side

No Randy would probably not spring for cheerleaders, too expensive.

My grief with the current way we are playing is not soo much the entertainment value, i very much think that for a club run like us every point will be vital at the end of the season.

My worry is that playing like this, not controlling the game and not having a (to me at least) clear gameplan to fall back on, especially with the type of players we have will not work in the long run. I don't think we will continue to pick up points like we have at the start of the season if we continue to play this way. We are relying too much on luck and moments of brilliance for my liking. 

Lambert badly needs more backing from Lerner that i doubt he'll get, and Lambert need's to spend whatever he get's on the right positions, not on more players "for the future"

This is exactly how I feel

We're not playing well and I'm concerned that we will not stay out of the relegation zone - every team gets injuries but when you are being run as close to the bone as we are they have a massive impact.

Delph will be back the weekend but now Gabby is missing, Baker looked crocked on Saturday as did Luna - I'm sure PL would not play them if he had options. I doubt Vlaar will be back

Weimann and Benteke who were great last seaon have been pants so far this season

Albrighton had a decent game on Sunday (his first for about 12 months) but are we confident that he will continue to produce?

Lerner has got the view (I think) that "I'm saving my money and hope we don't get relegated"

The next 4 games will define our season - two scenarios - we do ok and get say 6 or 7 points, dont invest and limp on this season to a 45 or 46 point finish or we get 0-3 points, buy another couple of makeweights in the window and hopefully limp on a 40 point finish

If Lambert had been bakced with Sissoko, Kiyotake, Lukaku it would all be a different story

• Like 2

So goes another ITK because of the idiots on here

Shame, he was such a nice chap.

Two things:

Firstly, people like him love the sound of their own voice and the sycophantic fawning that their snippets bring, so he'll be back.

Secondly, the club love to release information via "unofficial" channels, so even if he isn't, somebody else will be made to feel special by the club and used as unwitting rumour mules.  There've been loads of people on here and other forums over the years, the club have been doing it since Lerner first rocked up.

Well said Mart - funny how this so called ITK was happy to call a player Rubbish the other day.

Anyway even if he was this so called link to the inner thinking of Lambert etc, the guidelines for the forum are

"The VillaTalk.com message board is for Villa fans to discuss and debate on issues primarily to do with Aston Villa Football Club." If HH was a club staff member then he should have said so and I am sure he would have gained more respect.