Paul Lambert

Pilchard

What I will say is this - how manager PL managers go to watch every youth game? He was there last night. He is there every home game. Never misses one. The reason - he is as committed as they get and he believes bringing those players through is the future of the club.

Any chance he will bring some of them through anytime soon?

It's not football manager, just because a youth team player looks good it's world away from the premier league. Saying they could do better than this first teamed or that first teamed is also bollocks. If they fail it could set them back years, they have even less experience which we have seen doesn't bode well.

We must be the only academy in the country who never produces players who are good enough to get anywhere near the tean when they are teenagers.

People always cite Southampton as some exceptional case when it comes to their production line but I'm sure it has something to do with them actually giving players a chance from a young age. I've seen so many players here at Villa waste their talent and lots of times it is because they are left in the reserves until they are 20/21.

The physicality argument is used a lot but it doesn't seem to be a problem when the likes of United and Liverpool throw in Januzaj and Sterling.

Saying it is 'bollocks' to suggest that a player like Robinson couldn't do any better then Weimann this season just sums up the absurdity of your argument.

For those calling for Lamberts head, I can see you being happy next summer, but I can see him leaving on his terms. Villa must be an incredibly frustrating job and I can see him walking unless Lerner starts showing an interest. If he can have us finish mid table with a run in the FA Cup - say 5th Rd or QF then he's achieved and his CV will be progressive still. The longer he stays the more he runs the risk of the project ending in disappointing remission . It's a balancing act for Paul Lambert.

Not this again!

He can't get a better job then this. If he hypothetically leaves in the summer, I can guarentee that no better club would be interested in him.

Any manager that doesn't get top 6 place in 2 seasons considering the squads of Man C Man U Arse CSKA Spurs Everton Liverpool should be sacked immediately and Lerner should sell the club to someone else.

Absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 1

Any manager that doesn't get top 6 place in 2 seasons considering the squads of Man C Man U Arse CSKA Spurs Everton Liverpool should be sacked immediately and Lerner should sell the club to someone else.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Exactly, this is what I just can't wrap my head around. 

That's a no then. I was just wondering because Faulkner seems to cop an awful lot of flak from people who don't know what his remit actually is and it's baffling. Lerner is clear and I can accept criticisms of him because at the end of the day, it's his club and all decisions could be made by him. However, none of us really know what Faulkner's job description is. If it was (hypothetically), get the wage bill down, then he's done a great job.

It's this notion of black and white rearing it's ugly head again. Things are either one thing, or they're not. When in fact, things rarely are that clear cut.

It would be a bizarre business organisation in which the Chief Executive Officer's job description consisted of one line - get the wage bill down.

• Like 1

The only people I've seen mention sacking Lambert bar one poster are the people saying it would be ridiculous to sack him.
Maybe I've missed some posts.

So just in case, sacking him would be ridiculous!

• Like 1

That's a no then. I was just wondering because Faulkner seems to cop an awful lot of flak from people who don't know what his remit actually is and it's baffling. Lerner is clear and I can accept criticisms of him because at the end of the day, it's his club and all decisions could be made by him. However, none of us really know what Faulkner's job description is. If it was (hypothetically), get the wage bill down, then he's done a great job.

It's this notion of black and white rearing it's ugly head again. Things are either one thing, or they're not. When in fact, things rarely are that clear cut.

It would be a bizarre business organisation in which the Chief Executive Officer's job description consisted of one line - get the wage bill down.

Faulkner is a very poor, reactionary CEO - Even Graham Taylor described him as one of the "most niave men in football" - Look at the position he held before ? it wasn't even football or sport related - He was a middle manager in a 'credit card company' - The only defence you could make of him is that Randy takes the big decisions. Faulkner is just content to tick over, securing ever smaller sponsorship deals, let the staduim decay, - and thats before we have even touched on the playing side.  His 'Remit' is the well being of the club - on that his record is pretty much indefensible, A club which gets crowds of 36,000, yet can only provide nominal funds for transfers, for the last 3 seasons has languished near the foot of the table - How anyone can seriously defend him is beyond me.

• Like 2

The infatuation with Southampton makes me laugh. Who will be the next flavour of the month?

Crystal Palace on Boxing Day - be ready for that.

i thinks its a fair point though - for a good few years we have been told we have an excellent academy and that is our future. We don't have bad academy by any means - there are some better - some worse. But the notion we are sitting on a gold mine of talent was always a false dawn - and yet another 'jam tommorow' .....

I remember several months ago BJ10 being slated in another thread because he felt that several of our academy players although winning a competition may still not come through to the first team and none of them have yet and are not likely to for the foreseeable future unless our injury list falls into crisis.

Its fine that our academy is being revered by the fans but we must start producing Premiership players from that if Lambert or our next manager is going into the transfer market on a pittance.

Utter rubbish as usual - rarely do next gen players emerge at 18 and 19. Expect to see a few come through next season. No patience (with anything) some people
Maybe for once you might let personal vendettas go and actually read what a poster is saying without insulting him. :)
I read what you posted. BJ got criticised for the negativity of posting that none of the NextGen would make it, directly following their fantastic win

There was never any chance that a few months later any of these youngsters (17 and 18 year olds) would be in the first team. Half a dozen of them are out on loan. If we are safe come feb-mar I expect the odd sub appearance but if any are too emerge as regular first teamers I would imagine that next season would be the earliest they would establish a presence

I never said they wouldn't make it. I said there was a good chance most wouldn't and that the cup win meant nothing as it's all about what they do for the senior team. The academy director then said the same.

VillaCas' point is valid though.

No-one was criticising you for the opinion that most of the players wouldn't make it. In fact, a lot of people were inclined to agree with you.

You were criticised for wheeling out that opinion immediately after their win, and also for saying the win meant nothing.

Morpheus is implying people disagreed with you that a lot of the players wouldn't make it, which just isn't the case at all.

The only people I've seen mention sacking Lambert bar one poster are the people saying it would be ridiculous to sack him.

Maybe I've missed some posts.

So just in case, sacking him would be ridiculous!

Thank you.

All this hype by posters who can't believe that others are 'calling for Lambert's head'. Hardly anyone is. Ironically, these are the 'knee-jerk reactionaries!'

Also, when I rule the world I will ban the words 'Knee-jerk' and 'literally'.

What I will say is this - how manager PL managers go to watch every youth game? He was there last night. He is there every home game. Never misses one. The reason - he is as committed as they get and he believes bringing those players through is the future of the club.

Any chance he will bring some of them through anytime soon?

It's not football manager, just because a youth team player looks good it's world away from the premier league. Saying they could do better than this first teamed or that first teamed is also bollocks. If they fail it could set them back years, they have even less experience which we have seen doesn't bode well.

We must be the only academy in the country who never produces players who are good enough to get anywhere near the tean when they are teenagers.

People always cite Southampton as some exceptional case when it comes to their production line but I'm sure it has something to do with them actually giving players a chance from a young age. I've seen so many players here at Villa waste their talent and lots of times it is because they are left in the reserves until they are 20/21.

The physicality argument is used a lot but it doesn't seem to be a problem when the likes of United and Liverpool throw in Januzaj and Sterling.

Saying it is 'bollocks' to suggest that a player like Robinson couldn't do any better then Weimann this season just sums up the absurdity of your argument.

Southampton doing that this season or last in the premier league, youngsters straight out of the academy? Cause they are, they’ve had the ‘luxury’ of doing it the lower leagues; similar to Swansea, something that a lot of Villa fans seem to forget when they are blue balling over them both for being amazing.

You have no idea that he could do a better job than Weimann, thats my point. He could be the next Messi but history suggests that more times than not it fails, Luke Moore was amazing for the reserves etc up to first team... nothing. Its absurd to think promote them they’ll do better than so and so full stop. When they don’t do better everyone will be kicking off at Lambert for damaging our ‘youf’.

Faulkner is a very poor, reactionary CEO - Even Graham Taylor described him as one of the "most niave men in football" - Look at the position he held before ? it wasn't even football or sport related - He was a middle manager in a 'credit card company' - The only defence you could make of him is that Randy takes the big decisions. Faulkner is just content to tick over, securing ever smaller sponsorship deals, let the staduim decay, - and thats before we have even touched on the playing side.  His 'Remit' is the well being of the club - on that his record is pretty much indefensible, A club which gets crowds of 36,000, yet can only provide nominal funds for transfers, for the last 3 seasons has languished near the foot of the table - How anyone can seriously defend him is beyond me.

Garbage for me mate that - not saying he hasn't made mistakes, who hasn't in life? but the above is fluff based on a comment from taylor.

I also find it hard for people to comment on what makes a good CEO of a football club when they probably don't know the first thing about it. He seems to continually move us forward on the business side of things, and has been voted onto the FA board to represent us as a club. Some seem to mock that but I think they'd mock him if he didn't get voted on to it.

The league position and football style has zero to do with him.

I'd hazard a guess that he's strict wage bill and fund policy has probably stopped us from becoming the next leeds / portsmouth, I think it got that close.

So this is my opinon...but it's all hanging by a thread on what next summer brings, if then the funding is increased for a few quality players I think he would have done a very very good job after the early mistakes made.

If not...I'll smash that humble pie right down and beat the same drum as you.

I remember several months ago BJ10 being slated in another thread because he felt that several of our academy players although winning a competition may still not come through to the first team and none of them have yet and are not likely to for the foreseeable future unless our injury list falls into crisis.

Its fine that our academy is being revered by the fans but we must start producing Premiership players from that if Lambert or our next manager is going into the transfer market on a pittance.

Utter rubbish as usual - rarely do next gen players emerge at 18 and 19. Expect to see a few come through next season. No patience (with anything) some people
Maybe for once you might let personal vendettas go and actually read what a poster is saying without insulting him. :)
I read what you posted. BJ got criticised for the negativity of posting that none of the NextGen would make it, directly following their fantastic win

There was never any chance that a few months later any of these youngsters (17 and 18 year olds) would be in the first team. Half a dozen of them are out on loan. If we are safe come feb-mar I expect the odd sub appearance but if any are too emerge as regular first teamers I would imagine that next season would be the earliest they would establish a presence

I never said they wouldn't make it. I said there was a good chance most wouldn't and that the cup win meant nothing as it's all about what they do for the senior team. The academy director then said the same.

VillaCas' point is valid though.

No-one was criticising you for the opinion that most of the players wouldn't make it. In fact, a lot of people were inclined to agree with you.

You were criticised for wheeling out that opinion immediately after their win, and also for saying the win meant nothing.

Morpheus is implying people disagreed with you that a lot of the players wouldn't make it, which just isn't the case at all.

The academy director said the win meant nothing a couple of days after me.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm not saying you're right either. I'm not even entering into a debate about it and have no interest to, whatsoever. We've been there and done that.

My point is what Morpheus was implying (that everyone disagreed that most of the players wouldn't make it) wasn't true.