Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Have to question why he started Bacuna in midfield, it was a decision which effectively reduced us to 10 men. We were much better with Bacuna out of midfield.

Bacuna clearly can't replicate what KEA does for us so why change a system that was working well for us? I can only assume KEA can't handle 3 full games in a week and Sylla is still deemed to be unfit....

Pretty much what I was thinking. Why play Bacuna? I said before the game that Lambert would go with an attacking midfielder to try to go for the win but I thought he would have picked Tonev. I think Lambert thought we should/could dominate the game as the home team but it backfired on us, especially in the first half.

I also couldn't understand why he went for KEA instead of Tonev. I know he got on eventually but that was not the way to do it. Surely straight swap for Bacuna was the answer?

I thought our passing was very bad in this game and the Arsenal one.I like the look of Tonev, I am sure he will improve over time,I also like how Westwood had a crack at goal,we need that kind of thinking,have a go, we could get a goal or a corner mainly because the GK is not expecting a shot from that far out. 

We MUST win against Newcastle next week.

If anyone thinks that the loss yesterday was just down to a different formation (which it wasn't) or starting Bacuna instead of KEA then they don't understand much about Football. It's far more complicated than that and to criticise Lambert for your own misconceptions is a bit much.

• Like 1

We'll get a truer picture of where we are in the games against Newcastle and Norwich.  They're the sort of games we have to be winning if we're going to do anything at all this season.

• Like 2

We've struggled to break teams down at villa park for years, the 442 I guess was to match Liverpool and stop them having so much possession which failed because delph and Westwood needed another body next to them.

If anyone thinks that the loss yesterday was just down to a different formation (which it wasn't) or starting Bacuna instead of KEA then they don't understand much about Football. It's far more complicated than that and to criticise Lambert for your own misconceptions is a bit much.

Haha love it. Please enlighten us with your football knowledge.

If the formation wasn't wrong why did he change it after 30 mins?

He got it wrong at the start. It's not a big problem, we've looked much better than last season. Defence has been improved and we'd have happily took 3 points from these 3 games.

• Like 1

I was expecting us to have 3 points at least from the opening 3 games but i thought the 3 points would have been from Liverpool and not Arsenal

The proof in the pudding will be when we start to play the shitter sides in the prem and if we can put them away

I expect alot of teams to come to VP this season and park the bus and make us try and break them down because lets face it were rubbish at it

No problem with the formation for me. My gripe with PL is that if you're going to drop KEA, then bring in Sylla who does a similar job (and is pretty good at it too) and not Bacuna, who in all fairness probably cost us a point. 

• Like 1

No problem with the formation for me. My gripe with PL is that if you're going to drop KEA, then bring in Sylla who does a similar job (and is pretty good at it too) and not Bacuna, who in all fairness probably cost us a point.

But Sylla isn't a wide player and Bacuna is.

That's why the formation was the issue because it meant having to play Bacuna there.

One thing I like about Lambert is that he is building a team for the future, and seems to care about the club not just his own reputation. In general the media & fans put an enormous amount of emphasis on the most recent match, and the now. It's good to have a manager who thinks about the bigger picture and doesn't use a 'buy now, pay later' transfer policy like certain managers have done in the past. Of course I want Villa to buy players if the money is there, I just think PL is prepared to try new things and give less well known players a chance and not be overly obsessed with his own reputation like say MON was to an extent. It probably helps that Lerner has assured him that he has a job here for the long run.

• Like 2

I think he was hampered by the fact Liverpool had a whole week to prepare and were always going to be more prepared and fresher for this game. For me we were always doomed as soon as we went 0-1 down as Rogers knew they would be fresher and set his team up accordingly. He knew we would lack the energy to break them down and the longer the game went on the clearer that became... For me a void result as the terms of engagement were not equal which is very relevant especially at this point of the season when the players are still getting their full match sharpness back.

• Like 1

4-4-2 was wrong.
Starting Bacouna on the wing was wrong.
Dumping KEA after how well he'd be playing the other matches was wrong.
Got really suprised by the move, did it loose us the match? I don't know, but it sure as hell didn't help our chances. However he did change the formation and players from what he gave out for the tv grafic thingy, so I think there was a plan behind it all. That did not work out quite well.

Thomaspg do you think a roar from the crowd to attack whenever we got the ball had anything to do with it? I saw anxiety and a desire to make any sort of possession an attack that led to a chance. That must be due to the inexperience.

Second half they started moving it around instead of trying to force it straight away.

could do, the only one that knows are the players them selves. To me it did look like it, even okore who was motm for me did a pass or two down the sides of the pitch to absolutley no one, wheter its inexperience, nerves, getting a fly in their eyes who knows. When it comes to Bacuna who in my eye was the biggest liability in the first half its worth to bear in mind that he hasnt played with the team for that long, look at how sheit we were at playing together early last season, hes in that same possition now, he isnt gelled in to the team and im sure he wants to prove him self a bit in his first start and playing against a good team like liverpool any player would have a little bit of a shaky hand or well foot in this case, hes not old he hasnt been playing on a high level against top teams before.  hes just needs a bit setteling in and in the second half he calmed down a bit and things went better. Im sure thousands of mental villa supporters expecting him to play like a god instantly doesnt help either.  Same with Tonev when he came on, sure have a punt at goal but that freekick.... really?

anyways, were looking better each week, a huge improvement of last year, im for one is very excited and im hoping for big things this season but i think we have to accept that there will be some shit football played at times its just a part of the development. lambert is doing a great job here, up the villa and all that :)

As someone said in the match thread they let us try and play because they know we can't.

Apart from Benteke it's a team full cloggers and duracell bunnies...which will get us results through endeavour as per Arsenal but won't take us to the next level. Gabby and Wieman just aren't skillful or creative enough.....and by creative i don't mean running to the byline for a cross/cut back.

We need a Marco Reus.

Apart from Benteke it's a team full cloggers and duracell bunnies

No, it really isn't. Sure, we don't have a top creative player but to say that it's just a team of workhorses who don't have any technical ability is flat out wrong.

These counter-arguments are being well backed up  :rolleyes:

Mourhinhio said it, and we seen it for ourselves on Saturday. We can't play. Simples.

And what do you have to back up your assertion that we don't have any technically talented players besides Benteke?

It's like there's no room for middle ground with some people. Because we're not a team that can carve teams open at will with brilliant passing that must mean we're just a hopeless bunch of cloggers who can't play.