Paul Lambert

Pilchard

He is getting a lot of praise for his signing because they are young and foreign.  

That sums it up pretty well. Fans like unknown players, they can dream about how good they are and they like young players, they can dream about how good they could become. 

Unless our scouts do tremendously well these players will have a high failure rate. It's unfortunate but that's how it is.

I'm not having a go at the new signings, we just have to be patient and wait and see how they turn out. 

Fans like young players, because that suggests future improvement.  Not just foreign - there was a pretty positive reaction several years ago when we were signing lots of UK-born players, or when it seemed that lots of the Academy would come through.

They also like signing established players.

What people don't like is signing players who seem to get worse not better, who appear to prevent other signings because they are highly paid, and who don't therefore seem good value for money.  If they then seem hard to move on either because we've chosen to pay them wages no-one else will match or just won't move, or are reported to cause problems with team morale, then they attract criticism.

As several people have said, both young and established players may or may not work out.  I suppose it's understandable that more experienced players should cop more criticism in that event, even if it's not only their fault.

• Like 2

He is getting a lot of praise for his signing because they are young and foreign.  

That sums it up pretty well. Fans like unknown players, they can dream about how good they are and they like young players, they can dream about how good they could become. 

Unless our scouts do tremendously well these players will have a high failure rate. It's unfortunate but that's how it is.

I'm not having a go at the new signings, we just have to be patient and wait and see how they turn out. 

Fans like young players, because that suggests future improvement.  Not just foreign - there was a pretty positive reaction several years ago when we were signing lots of UK-born players, or when it seemed that lots of the Academy would come through.

They also like signing established players.

What people don't like is signing players who seem to get worse not better, who appear to prevent other signings because they are highly paid, and who don't therefore seem good value for money.  If they then seem hard to move on either because we've chosen to pay them wages no-one else will match or just won't move, or are reported to cause problems with team morale, then they attract criticism.

As several people have said, both young and established players may or may not work out.  I suppose it's understandable that more experienced players should cop more criticism in that event, even if it's not only their fault.

Fans like winning. Nothing more, nothing less. Fans aren't fickle, if a team is winning they will get more support, if they aren't winning they will get less. 

All I would say is read Moneyball and absorb the message about why scouts like(d) and wanted to draft younger players over older players. It's very illuminating and can be applied pretty well to any sport. 

There's a saying in american football that "the backup quarterback is the most popular guy in town." It's usually used in reference to losing teams. What it means is fans like unknown quantities, it gives them hope. 

Once a player is a known quantity it takes away a lot of the hope even if they're a solid player, even if they're an above-average player. Just look at the Darren Bent thread on this forum if you don't believe this sentiment. 

There's a saying in american football that "the backup quarterback is the most popular guy in town." It's usually used in reference to losing teams. What it means is fans like unknown quantities, it gives them hope.

Once a player is a known quantity it takes away a lot of the hope even if they're a solid player, even if they're an above-average player. Just look at the Darren Bent thread on this forum if you don't believe this sentiment.

Yeah MON used to say that a player got better the longer he was on the bench i.e. fans would forget the bad stuff and begin to hope for the best.

It's the same with unknown quantities like the players we have signed. The less fans know about them the better they can build them up in their minds. Unfortunately it rarely works out so well in reality.

In a perfect world I'd rather we signed a brilliant proven 25 year old than a potentially good 22 year old. I'm sure Paul Lambert feels the same. However reality dictates that only rich clubs can sign the brilliant proven 25 year olds of this world, and currently only foolish clubs sign the good proven 29 year olds. Lambert has only one viable policy, and he's currently doing a decent job of pursuing that in my opinion.

Lambert is the man, we'll never get any where if we throw away his hard work and sack him for some foreign guff.

We'll get further than we were when it was a new manager every season, but that's a low bar to clear...

I thought he got us playing some really good football towards the end of the season and got the confidence up in the players. My concern is how different we will be without Benteke's presence up front. We have a tough start to the season and a few tankings might knock the confidence so badly that it takes us a while to get going and then we find ourselves in the same position as last season.

I think that we need to get off to a decent start and then we'll be ok. Trouble for us is the fact we didn't do too well against the top teams last season so we might struggle at the start, if we are without Benteke.

In regards to defensive set-ups, I think PL has acknowledged work is needed in that department hence signing a more defensive coach to the first team set-up.

PL is still learning as a manager but is doing well and will only improve.

• Like 2

A mate at work has told me that he went to the Boldmere v Villa game last night, and that Lambert was there. He said that Lambert literally sat down and watched the whole game, only saying 'Hi' to Weimann.

He also mentioned that Bannan was there, and that Lambert didn't say anything to him :D

(My mate is actually a sha fan! He simply went to watch the game because some of his mates play for Boldmere)

Agree. Don`t know what the plan is at rb if lowton goes injured. Herd? Wut

Bacuna Matata.

Is Okore right footed? I think he could do a job at RB, if required.