Formula One - 2013

BOF

There is no rule that I am aware of that states to be successful you have to be a prick.

No but it helps to be selfish and ruthless in order to get to the top.

Going back to Moss. He is 83. He's from a different era so I wouldn't go getting my knickers in a twist if his views on women were a little out-dated. I'd say there's nothing to suggest women don't have the mental aptitude to succeed in F1. My concerns would be physically. There is an undeniable strength issue between the sexes. Having said that, Danica Patrick has shown that it can be done. And there are doubtless financial benefits for the team that tries to get a female into their car so the opportunity should be there if one was to come along and look to be up to the challenge. There does seem to be the green shoots of a more determined effort to try and find a female driver now though. They are popping up more and more in test roles and that can only benefit the future for the younger ones coming through and seeing that it can be done.

I think they will come through, it just takes a buggering long time to come through a male dominated arena, and I agree re Moss being 83 and of a different era. If maybe one of the current drivers said it, it would warrant fair criticism!

Marussia had that poor lass who lost an eye as a test driver didn't they? There will be someone who breaks through soon enough, I imagine, and as mentioned above, I'm sure a smaller side seeking sponsorship may be encouraged to take the "gamble" on ( you know what I mean ).

I've noticed that vettel has a little smirk on his face when he gets questioned over the webber incident. The comparisons with schumacher are there to be made, although i dont think vettel would happily take out another driver out to win a title like MS did twice in hill and villeneuve.

As brundle said last week, vettel is now running the risk of being known as world champion, all time great f1 driver but also a complete prick (he didn't quite put it like that)

Vettel is not sorry for what he did. There is a very funny picture going around the web saying something like ''...and then I told him I was sorry'' with him laughing with schumacher.

Sums up the situation perfectly for me. Webber and Vettel dislike eachother, the red bull owner even said so.

Vettel is not sorry for what he did. There is a very funny picture going around the web saying something like ''...and then I told him I was sorry'' with him laughing with schumacher.

Sums up the situation perfectly for me. Webber and Vettel dislike eachother, the red bull owner even said so.

Here's a different one 

749308134.jpg

There are certainly valid questions over the physical and mental ability of women with regards to the very highest levels of sport. Generally they can't compete with men, this is a fact.

That's not to say it isn't occasionally possible when it comes to F1, the opposite has already been proven. It's not just a case of stigma though either, more learned people than me have asked similar questions in the past and have often provided controversial answers with regards to the differences between the way our brains work. Particularly under stress. The average man is far more ruthless and driven than the average woman too, that is both a positive and negative depending on the circumstances

The physical differences are clear for all to see.

I don't think Moss has said anything particularly wrong or controversial, his comments are though rather ham fisted at best.

I suppose it'll have to do. The other way to screw with his head is to beat him on the track, but that's not an option here :P

Perez showed his promise today, my driver of the day

Di resta very unlucky not to get on the podium, all in all probably the best Bahrain gp yet on terms of action

I get you and I do love the underdog too. Hell we're on a Villa forum FFS :P But there's another side to that discussion (the one of dominance) that does get missed. That is, at some point you have to stand back and admire history being made and genius doing what genius does. Like Barcelona for example in football and Schumacher in F1 (I wasn't particularly a fan fwiw). If you can't admire the sport (whichever one it may be) being performed at its absolute pinnacle then why follow it in the first place. That's not directed at you btw, it's just a musing I've had over the years.

I realise I'm a bit late to get to this one, but for me BOF the point about having to stand back and admire history being made, greatness happening and so on is absolutely one of the reasons why I don't like Vettel. He's not the best driver on the grid, he's never driven the second quickest car - Alonso is better, Hamilton is better, but instead we have this spoilt,irritating, arrogant man in a much faster car than everyone else, winning Grand Prix and believing it's down to his ability.

Barcelona don't have a car - Vettel is more like Man City. Schumacher was brilliant in a Benetton, then brilliant in a car that wasn't always quickest - he was arrogant, but at least with a reason - Ronaldo to Vettel's Ibrahimovich is you like - Vettel has proved only that he can get a fast car home.

For me, F1 has become all about ABV - anyone but Vettel - and I look forward to the day that he's found out and those that deserve it get the adulation their skill deserves.

• Like 2

There are certainly valid questions over the physical and mental ability of women with regards to the very highest levels of sport. Generally they can't compete with men, this is a fact.

That's not to say it isn't occasionally possible when it comes to F1, the opposite has already been proven. It's not just a case of stigma though either, more learned people than me have asked similar questions in the past and have often provided controversial answers with regards to the differences between the way our brains work. Particularly under stress. The average man is far more ruthless and driven than the average woman too, that is both a positive and negative depending on the circumstances

The physical differences are clear for all to see.

I don't think Moss has said anything particularly wrong or controversial, his comments are though rather ham fisted at best.

1st Lt Clancy Morrical, is following in the footsteps of Col. Jeannie Leavitt. As are 723 other female USAF fighter pilots. Leavitt clocked up over 300 combat hours over Afghanistan in F 15's.

I'd guess the 'average' don't fly F 15's or F 16's and don't drive F1 cars. I'd also guess that if you can come top of class scoring 99.7% in F 16 combat training then you can probably put your ditsy little mind to driving a car around and around a track quickly. No matter how tiring Sterling moss might think that is for a lady.

I'd defo agree that on average men are physically bigger and in day to day average life a man will appear more competitive. But that doesn't mean a female can't be F1 world champion. I don't think Sterling Moss is necessarily completely aware of the modern world, he's 83. But I shouldn't make sweeping generalisations about old people. 

I get you and I do love the underdog too. Hell we're on a Villa forum FFS :P But there's another side to that discussion (the one of dominance) that does get missed. That is, at some point you have to stand back and admire history being made and genius doing what genius does. Like Barcelona for example in football and Schumacher in F1 (I wasn't particularly a fan fwiw). If you can't admire the sport (whichever one it may be) being performed at its absolute pinnacle then why follow it in the first place. That's not directed at you btw, it's just a musing I've had over the years.

I realise I'm a bit late to get to this one, but for me BOF the point about having to stand back and admire history being made, greatness happening and so on is absolutely one of the reasons why I don't like Vettel. He's not the best driver on the grid, he's never driven the second quickest car - Alonso is better, Hamilton is better, but instead we have this spoilt,irritating, arrogant man in a much faster car than everyone else, winning Grand Prix and believing it's down to his ability.

Barcelona don't have a car - Vettel is more like Man City. Schumacher was brilliant in a Benetton, then brilliant in a car that wasn't always quickest - he was arrogant, but at least with a reason - Ronaldo to Vettel's Ibrahimovich is you like - Vettel has proved only that he can get a fast car home.

For me, F1 has become all about ABV - anyone but Vettel - and I look forward to the day that he's found out and those that deserve it get the adulation their skill deserves.

I think Vettel is right up there.

I think Alonso has a genuine claim to being a better driver. But I don't think Hamilton is better than Vettel. It is a fair point that Red Bull are just that much better, but Vettel clearly does still have a lot of talent.

Vettel won Monza in a Toro Rosso. The only thing I can think of that comes close is Maldonado's win in Barcelona in the Williams. If the Red Bull is so much faster than everyone else and Vettel not that great, why does Mark Webber do so badly in it over the course of a season? Do we really think this top team are so bad at picking top drivers. Do we not think top drivers would be flocking to their doors if those drivers thought they were so much better than what's there at the moment? Webber is a very good driver yet he can't hold a candle to Vettel and he seems to struggle to consistently finish right behind Seb in races. If it was like the Williams of the early nineties then you'd have Webber right up there but he isn't. I appreciate that with the Red Bull being quick it is hard to objectively judge a driver, but you've also got to appreciate that he wouldn't be with Red Bull if he wasn't that good. We've seen how quickly a car falls away when the driver is changed. Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton are the 3 best drivers on the grid and Vettel is in a very quick car. Everyone is talking about who their driver of the day was yesterday without mentioning Vettel despite the fact he pissed off into the lead and ran an absolutely flawless race at a blistering pace while his team-mate in the other identical car got mired in battles for 4th and 5th all day. People need to realise that while the Red Bull is a top car, it is not unbeatable and the only reason it seems to be nearly unbeatable in Vettel's hands is because he is that good.

I see the analogy you are trying to make about Vettel being Man City but I think you're way way off with it. Hugely enormously way off. Red Bull with their young driver programme are Barcelona and Vettel is their Messi.

Â