Formula One - 2013

BOF

Mclarens gamble of building a car from scratch instead of improving last years car as the other teams have done has backfired massively, mclaren always do well at Melbourne, to be 2.4 seconds off the pace is terrible.

The weather is going to be fine race day

Interesting first race. Thankfully Red Bull well Vettel was not as quick through the race as he first appeared from the opening few laps. Ferrari look like they may be competitive this season as both drivers did well. Lotus and Mr Personality did well and hopefully they can continue this through the season.

What the flip has happened at McLaren? way off the pace and seemingly behind Force India who if they hadnt cocked up Sutils last tyre change could have done really well for his first race back after 12 months off.

If anyone's interested I'm selling a James Hunt book from 1977 on eBay, signed by the man himself.

PM me for details or just look for it on eBay

I would love to see an F1 race live someday. If i was going to go abroad id love to see the Belgian spa.

I had the same thought but then realised there is a very good chance of it pissing down all weekend. Then I thought about Monza, oh yes, probably not this year though :-(

ps need to ring sky to see of they feel like doing a deal on the HD pack. Mate of mine rang a few weeks ago and they offered h it for £5 a month.

I did Monza last year and it was epic. Probably not much more expensive than going to Silverstone either.

I used to go to Hockenheim most years, mainly back in the Damon Hill days. That would be a decent one to go to as you can visit Heidelberg too, which is a really nice place. Shame that the German Grand Prix is in Nurnburg this year though...

How many times has Webber disregarded his desire to win to take one for the team and protect Vettel's position?

It's refreshing, in a way, to see teammates willing to fight each other for places. Certainly makes it more interesting. Doesn't stop vettel being a word removed for doing it though. And the fact that he tried to pretend that he didn't know about the team orders afterwards just adds to it.

Team orders clearly need a bit of refinement don't they. The top 4 places all effected by team orders is not really what the sport should be about.

Vettel is a word removed for sure. Taking his team mates position after he had wound his engine back and told there wouldn't be a challenge was the cheapest of shots. I think outside of Germany he hasn't won many fans with that stunt.

Maybe team orders should only be allowed in the final part of the season?

• Like 1

If they had both been told to race for the line, but be careful, I would say well done to Vettel. But the fact is, they had been told to hold steady (and because of fuel and tires, they might need to as tires especially cam drop off)

And consider the amount of times Webber has been told to pull over, or sit behind and not attack.

This was cheap and dirty from Vettel.

• Like 1

If they had both been told to race for the line, but be careful, I would say well done to Vettel. But the fact is, they had been told to hold steady (and because of fuel and tires, they might need to as tires especially cam drop off)

And consider the amount of times Webber has been told to pull over, or sit behind and not attack.

This was cheap and dirty from Vettel.

Exactly this.

If it was the first time either of them had had team orders, I could accept it.

And if it was just an assumed rule, but Vettel decided to go against it and Webber had a chance to defend himself, I'd accept it.

But Webber has yielded for Vettel plenty fo times. And they were explicitly told to hold back meaning Webber had no chance to pull out a gap when he had a chance or be prepared for the attack from vettel.

You can pass it off as Ruthless or "doing what he had to do" all you like. The guy's a cock, and that was a shitty move.

Team orders clearly need a bit of refinement don't they. The top 4 places all effected by team orders is not really what the sport should be about.

Vettel is a word removed for sure. Taking his team mates position after he had wound his engine back and told there wouldn't be a challenge was the cheapest of shots. I think outside of Germany he hasn't won many fans with that stunt.

Maybe team orders should only be allowed in the final part of the season?

I agree, but

It's how do you ban team orders though?

It's easy enough to hide if they're not allowed to have them. You just lay out the scenarios beforehand, eg "If you're behind with 10 laps to go don't make a move and just bring it home", the drivers follow them and you've still got team orders but no-one can prove it.

Getting rid of them all together is close to impossible. But something needs to be done. 3 miserable b*stards on the podium shows the current setup is broken.

I know there will always be 'codes' and 'secret plans' but at least it hides it to a degree. The sport loses a hell of a lot of credibility when the teams are so obviously avoiding racing.

Â