Formula One - 2013

BOF

The vettell webber thing is similar to hakkinen and coulthard at mclaren in the late 90s, coulthard said in his biography that he never felt he was given the same support, and believed hakkinen always had a slightly better car.

The vettell webber thing is similar to hakkinen and coulthard at mclaren in the late 90s, coulthard said in his biography that he never felt he was given the same support, and believed hakkinen always had a slightly better car.

F1 drivers are egotistical and it's human nature to put your own failings down to someone else i.e. not getting fair treatment. Coulthard was not as quick as Hakkinen and Webber is not as quick as Vettel. That's no shame. Hakkinen is one of the only drivers ever to go toe to toe with Schuey in comparable machinery and come out on top, twice.

Must admit - Webber is not the driver he was.

A couple of years ago he was more than a foil for Vettel. Now? Not even close.

Years of preferential treatment along with advancing age may have something to do with it...

... but I reckon his mind is now on other things after the earlier run in with Vettel this year. I'd be surprised if he stayed in F1 beyond this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Conor Daly (son of ex-F1 racer Derek) is to test a Force India. I don't care if he was born in Indiana. America you CAN'T HAVE HIM :D:P It's too long since we've had a decent paddy in the upper echelons of racing.

Conor Daly (son of ex-F1 racer Derek) is to test a Force India. I don't care if he was born in Indiana. America you CAN'T HAVE HIM :D:P It's too long since we've had a decent paddy in the upper echelons of racing.

Ralf firman was hardly in the upper echelons of racing :)

• 2 weeks later...

There are certainly valid questions over the physical and mental ability of women with regards to the very highest levels of sport. Generally they can't compete with men, this is a fact.

That's not to say it isn't occasionally possible when it comes to F1, the opposite has already been proven. It's not just a case of stigma though either, more learned people than me have asked similar questions in the past and have often provided controversial answers with regards to the differences between the way our brains work. Particularly under stress. The average man is far more ruthless and driven than the average woman too, that is both a positive and negative depending on the circumstances

The physical differences are clear for all to see.

I don't think Moss has said anything particularly wrong or controversial, his comments are though rather ham fisted at best.

1st Lt Clancy Morrical, is following in the footsteps of Col. Jeannie Leavitt. As are 723 other female USAF fighter pilots. Leavitt clocked up over 300 combat hours over Afghanistan in F 15's.

I'd guess the 'average' don't fly F 15's or F 16's and don't drive F1 cars. I'd also guess that if you can come top of class scoring 99.7% in F 16 combat training then you can probably put your ditsy little mind to driving a car around and around a track quickly. No matter how tiring Sterling moss might think that is for a lady.

I'd defo agree that on average men are physically bigger and in day to day average life a man will appear more competitive. But that doesn't mean a female can't be F1 world champion. I don't think Sterling Moss is necessarily completely aware of the modern world, he's 83. But I shouldn't make sweeping generalisations about old people.

You completely missed my point. I never said there weren't women capable, but there are perfectly valid reasons why there aren't more than a handful.

Well the Spanish GP was a little bizarre to say the least. Mercedez seemed to suffer more than most other teams. McLaren look in real trouble as they appear be going down the road of Force India last year by trying to go one stop less than the rest because their car is just not fast enough to compete.

looks like they're changing the tyres back again. It's a tough one, I found the tactical strategy element of it very fascinating in the last couple of races especially, but I suppose when drivers like Hamilton are going " I can't drive any slower" on the radio it's become a problem. 

Not a massive F1 fan, prefer MotoGP but I do have a theory about F1 drivers and I wondered if anyone else has noticed the same thing. Many F1 drivers have a very similar shape head in that it is almost a long oblong shape except Hamilton.

Hill, Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Coulthard, Alonso, Vettel, Webber, Grosjean, Di Resta, Button, Sutil, Maldonado these are just the ones I can picture but they all definitely have a similar facial structure. I have no idea what it means, so I guess I have no theory other than an observation.

I'll get my coat...

• Like 2

Not a massive F1 fan, prefer MotoGP but I do have a theory about F1 drivers and I wondered if anyone else has noticed the same thing. Many F1 drivers have a very similar shape head in that it is almost a long oblong shape except Hamilton.

Hill, Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Coulthard, Alonso, Vettel, Webber, Grosjean, Di Resta, Button, Sutil, Maldonado these are just the ones I can picture but they all definitely have a similar facial structure. I have no idea what it means, so I guess I have no theory other than an observation.

I'll get my coat...

My head is fairly regular in shape and I'm not mixed race. Now I know why I'm not an F1 driver.

Wasn't alluding to him being mixed race and that the reason, I just noticed his head is more round. Although just had a quick Google & its more oblong than I thought.

I have no idea what I'm on about.

I'm glad they are changing the tyres back.. I want to see the best drivers pushing the car to the limits to get the absolute quickest out of them.

I dont really think pirelli are to blame, not so long along ago f1 was incredibly dull unless you got a wet race so they was told to create a tyre that gives tactical racing by forcing teams to pit, the problem comes from pirelli being unable to test the rubber in true race conditions and teams evolving cars to give better grip. It feels like f1 is being forced toward becoming another a1gp series to me

Hakkinen is one of the only drivers ever to go toe to toe with Schuey in comparable machinery and come out on top, twice.

....and Nico Rosberg last season of course.
I suppose that's a fair vt cop because I didn't make the blatantly obvious clarification that i meant Schuey at his peak.

Wasn't alluding to him being mixed race and that the reason, I just noticed his head is more round. Although just had a quick Google & its more oblong than I thought.

I have no idea what I'm on about.

You're saying karl Pilkington has no chance at making it as an F1 driver

I'm glad they are changing the tyres back.. I want to see the best drivers pushing the car to the limits to get the absolute quickest out of them.

I dont really think pirelli are to blame, not so long along ago f1 was incredibly dull unless you got a wet race so they was told to create a tyre that gives tactical racing by forcing teams to pit, the problem comes from pirelli being unable to test the rubber in true race conditions and teams evolving cars to give better grip. It feels like f1 is being forced toward becoming another a1gp series to me

I agree with what you're saying that Pirelli are in no way to blame. They could create a tyre that lasted the entire race if they were allowed to. The tyres have been created to a specification handed to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hakkinen is one of the only drivers ever to go toe to toe with Schuey in comparable machinery and come out on top, twice.

....and Nico Rosberg last season of course.
I suppose that's a fair vt cop because I didn't make the blatantly obvious clarification that i meant Schuey at his peak.

Or maybe on today's showing, schuey was still good, just that Nico really has something.

Â