Formula One - 2013

BOF

Will alonso have to give the place he kept by cutting the corner? Well its a ferrari, and the fia don't punnish ferrari do they

I wonder what Button thinks about it, Perez did it to him twice earlier in the race yet he's on the radio in seconds when Alonso does it to him. I know two wrongs don't make a right, but I hope they don't give it to him.

Will alonso have to give the place he kept by cutting the corner? Well its a ferrari, and the fia don't punnish ferrari do they

Well they did and IMHO they shouldn't have. Perez had not made the pass and Alonso avoided a collision that would have happened had he stayed on the track. Bad judgement call from the stewards. I don't think that was Perez's position at all. Put it this way. If you can gain a place by putting the guy in front of you (i.e. the guy who currently owns the place) into an impossible position then that ain't racin'. But then we've already seen how committed the FIA are to real racing by introducing DRS. Have I mentioned how much I love fairweather/casual fans?

Chilton is just terrible.

I completely agree. I will say though - there have always been pay drivers and there probably always will be. The small teams rely on daddy's bank account to survive. The problem now is that with the cars being so capable in the wrong hands, a pay driver is more likely to cause a big crash. We're just lucky that the safety of the cars means they might not kill someone. Chilton should not be on the grid.

Pay drivers in the past have tended not to be British. It's funny to see Sky tippy-toeing around the pay driver issue with Chilton being the clearest example in donkeys years. They even had him on talking about pay drivers and he was talking about THEM as if he was outside of the discussion. And no-one from Sky picked him up on it. I watched the interview with a troll-grin on taz.gif

I think the alonso thing was a really tough call.

I've seen it a dozen times and I'm still not sure whether I agree with it or not

Which by definition means you don't punish. They erred on the side of the guy chancing his arm. That's not the right way to go about it. You have to earn an overtake. It's not your right (despite what DRS has done to F1) to have the guy in front's position. Perez's overtake was, at best, clumsy and dangerous. Alonso did the race a favour by not bringing out the safety car. To reward Perez's clumsiness like that is to send out the completely wrong message and it's exactly why we have shite like Chilton on the grid.

I think the alonso thing was a really tough call.

I've seen it a dozen times and I'm still not sure whether I agree with it or not

Which by definition means you don't punish. They erred on the side of the guy chancing his arm. That's not the right way to go about it. You have to earn an overtake. It's not your right (despite what DRS has done to F1) to have the guy in front's position. Perez's overtake was, at best, clumsy and dangerous. Alonso did the race a favour by not bringing out the safety car. To reward Perez's clumsiness like that is to send out the completely wrong message and it's exactly why we have shite like Chilton on the grid.

I think clumsy is the wrong word, its one of 2 over taking places on the track and as brundle said you commit the move before you go into the tunnel, it was risky, but had it been alonso/vettel/Hamilton/button making that move it would be described as brave and brilliant driving. Alonso didn't need to cut the corner, he could of backed off and still made it but lost the position.

Perez has had a lot of critisism and question marks over him about wether he is good enough, the fact button has been giving him grief since Bahrain because Perez is beating him proves he is IMO

I think clumsy is the wrong word, its one of 2 over taking places on the track and as brundle said you commit the move before you go into the tunnel, it was risky, but had it been alonso/vettel/Hamilton/button making that move it would be described as brave and brilliant driving.

If it was Alonso/Vettel/Hamilton/Button it probably would have been done right.

Alonso didn't need to cut the corner, he could of backed off and still made it but lost the position.

This is where I bang my head violently off a wall. The position WAS ALREADY Alonso's. He has absolutely no obligation to back out of a position that is ALREADY HIS! If Perez wants it, Perez must earn it cleanly. If Perez hamfists an overtake that means the guy IN FRONT has to back out in order to avoid a crash then the guy behind hasn't done it right and must try again next time.

Perez has had a lot of critisism and question marks over him about wether he is good enough, the fact button has been giving him grief since Bahrain because Perez is beating him proves he is IMO

I don't see how previous criticism or question marks have a bearing on this incident. Unless it is to prove that he did it in order to prove some point - which only lends itself to my suggestion that it was rash, ill-judged and badly executed.

Â