Formula One - 2013

BOF

I'd imagine there was some reasoning behind what Vettel did, as there is behind most actions that we may take.

There was probably a back-log of unpublicised incidents between the two, making it far less black and white than the media would have you believe. Webber hasn't always played ball when it has come to team orders between the 2, and neither has Vettel. IIRC Webber was anything but helpful when it came to the title decider in Brazil (was it?) last year.

I shan't be adopting a poor opinion of Vettel off the back of this one incident without really knowing what was going through his head at the time.

Well there ya go :)

Red Bull gives up on team orders as Vettel admits he would defy them again

Christian Horner has confirmed Red Bull will stop using team orders at the end of the race following the row which broke out at the end of the Malaysian Grand Prix.

It came as Sebastian Vettel told reporters he would defy similar instructions again and felt his team mate did not deserve to win the race.

Horner told the BBC the decision was taken by Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz: “I had discussions with Dietrich and we agreed that Red Bull is not a fan of team orders.”

“Therefore we will not impose team orders at the end of a race. However, we expect the drivers to act on the information they have from the team.”

Vettel told reporters he did not immediately understand the order he was given during the race: “Had I understood the message and had I thought about it, reflected on it, thought what the team wanted to do, to leave Mark in first place and me finishing second… I think I would have thought about it and I would probably have done the same thing.”

“He didn’t deserve it,” Vettel continued. “There is quite a conflict, because on the one hand I am the kind of guy who respects team decisions and the other hand, probably Mark is not the one who deserved it at the time.”

“I don’t like to talk ill of other people. It’s not my style. I think I said enough. The bottom line is that I was racing, I was faster, I passed him, I won,” he added.

Vettel said he did not expect it would change how far his team mate went in supporting him because “I never had support from his side.”

“In terms of my relationship with Mark, I respect him a lot as a racing driver but I think there was more than one occasion in the past when he could have helped the team but didn’t.”

Both Red Bull drivers have openly disobeyed team orders in the past: Webber did so at Silverstone in 2011 and there was further friction in Brazil last year when Vettel was campaigning to win the championship title.

Webber said Red Bull choosing not to use team orders would make things “probably easier” in the future.

This shows how powerful Vettel has become within Red Bull, to the point that they are changing their M.O. on race day. It's basically them saying that they acknowledge they can't control their drivers so they're going to stop trying. Putting a 'we don't like team orders' spin on it. Yeah right. Despite teams being legally allowed to employ team orders and it being a team sport, Seb is going to try and win. Key point here though is that now the gloves are off, Webber will try to win too. I'm sure as shit there will be races this season where Webber has managed his tyres better over the course of a race and he'll waltz past Seb, probably for the lead (given that they're in Red Bulls). I can't deny that Seb has gone down in my estimation over all of this. It would be beligerent (or a fanboi) to think otherwise.

I'm still a fan and I still think he believes that he is merely showing the ruthless streak that is always attributed to all great winners but I think he could have handled it better. Again, I'll cite youth. But, yeah, badly played Seb and actually badly played Red Bull too. They've come out of this as a little spineless and afraid of Vettel. They know they can't risk pissing him off with Ferrari potentially looking for an Alonso replacement soon and having already talked of how fond they are of the German.

Well they don't call it the piranha club for nothing.

I am not exactly sure what Horner is trying to say here because:

“Therefore we will not impose team orders at the end of a race. However, we expect the drivers to act on the information they have from the team.”

That just basically says we'll try to encourage them to follow team orders but we don't want to look like a bunch of powerless chumps if they ignore us. I don't think its down the Vettel's power. It the fact Vettel has said he'll probably ignore orders to the media. Webber has proably said the same too to the team in private.

I really think this is going to end really badly. Vettel really coming across as a prick. Has nobody told him that Webber was going slow BECAUSE he was told to wind the engine back as he wouldn't get challenged from Vettel? I really want to see him f**k up now and get dragged down a peg or 2.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

absorbing tactical race that, enjoyed it. Vettels pace at the end on the short stint was impressive. Webber has no luck. Or maybe its no "luck". Ferrari look good and good finish for Button but questions over Perez still I guess.

I felt at the start of the season Perez wasn't up to the job. Good race, felt tyres played a bit too much of a part but still entertaining. Hope Alonso racks up some points now.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

Perez should have had another year at sauber, not ready for a title challenging team yet.

Webber is clearly being screwed over by Red Bull, no-one suffers such bad 'luck' over the course of 1 weekend.

Even though I am not a big Button fan, I was impressed by him today. 

And the 3 best drivers were on the podium today.

Perez should have had another year at sauber, not ready for a title challenging team yet.

Lucky he's at McLaren then...!

I love how Webber tried to lay his tyre like a Mario Kart banana skin. Better luck next time Mark.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22083547

Sir Stirling Moss says women lack mental aptitude for Formula 1

Former British racing driver Sir Stirling Moss believes women do not have the mental skills to race competitively in Formula 1.

Only five women have raced in grands prix and only one has scored a point.

Moss, 83, told BBC Radio 5 live: "I think they have the strength, but I don't know if they've got the mental aptitude to race hard, wheel-to-wheel."

But F1 hopeful Susie Wolff, 30, responded: "I completely disagree with him. It makes me cringe hearing that."

Italian Lella Lombardi was the most prolific female F1 driver, starting 12 races in the 1970s and scoring half a point.

The last woman to enter an F1 grand prixwas Italian Giovanna Amati, but she failed to qualify for three races at the start of the 1992 season.

Arguably the most successful woman currently competing in motorsport is American Danica Patrick.

The 31-year-old, who now races in Nascar and took pole at the 2013 Daytona 500, is a former IndyCar Series rookie of the year, holds the record for the most consecutive races finished in the series and in 2008 became the first woman to win an IndyCar race.

Wolff is the latest woman to try and break into Formula 1. The Scot is currently in her second season as development driver for Williams.

Sixteen-time F1 race winner Moss, who was speaking in a BBC Radio 5 live special on women in F1, which airs on Monday at 2130 BST, added that he was "not surprised" there have been so few women in F1.

"The trouble is, when you're racing, it's pretty tiring," said Moss, who is widely regarded as the greatest driver never to have won the F1 world championship.

"We had three-hour races in those days. You needed tremendous concentration. Now races are only one hour and 10 minutes."

Moss feels women have the necessary physical strength to race but thought they would be lacking mentally.

"We've got some very strong and robust ladies, but, when your life is at risk, I think the strain of that in a competitive situation will tell when you're trying to win," he said.

"The mental stress I think would be pretty difficult for a lady to deal with in a practical fashion. I just don't think they have aptitude to win a Formula 1 race."

Responding to Moss, Wolff told BBC Sport: "I don't know where to start after hearing that interview. I've got a lot of respect for Sir Stirling and what he achieved, but I think we're in a different generation.

"For Moss, it's unbelievable that a female would drive a Formula 1 car, which is fair enough. In the days they were racing, every time they stepped into a car, they were putting their life on the line. But F1 is much more technologically advanced, it's much safer than it was."

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone, who appears on the BBC Radio 5 live special with Williams F1 deputy team principal Claire Williams, says there is "not really" a chance of a woman joining the sport in the near future.

"There's no reason why a woman shouldn't be able to compete with a man," Ecclestone said.

"Unfortunately, the way things are, I don't imagine a lady will ever get the chance to drive a Red Bull or a Ferrari.

"The only chance is with a lesser team - and they only take someone if they come with a good sponsor. Regretfully, the problem is that many ladies who could compete probably as well as the guys won't get chance."

Wolff responded: "I agree with him. Ferrari and Red Bull take best drivers on the market at the time to go out and win world championships.

"I'm in a position where I'm just trying to get into F1, but I do believe that it's possible for a women to get in, otherwise I wouldn't be doing this."

Heh.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

On the Vettel thing - he is German driver for a German team with a German owner. Whatever bullshit PR they try and spin, Vettel is kingpin and they will back him over Webber regardless.

They guy has delivered championships and will again this year. Why should Red Bull give a toss about Webber.

I think there would be opportunities for a smaller team to promote a woman driver.

It would guarantee them much greater exposure than they would be getting with an average male driver.

On the Vettel thing - he is German driver for a German team with a German owner. Whatever bullshit PR they try and spin, Vettel is kingpin and they will back him over Webber regardless.

They guy has delivered championships and will again this year. Why should Red Bull give a toss about Webber.

Almost. He is a German Driver, for an Austrian team which is based in the UK with an Austrian owner :D

And fwiw I'm not aware of Senna ever doing anything as low as this.

There's a difference between doing what it takes to win, and deliberately using team orders against your own teammate.

It wasn't a case of just disobeying team orders, or taking out his teammate in the course of a fair fight.

It was deliberately using the fact that webber had eased off on the assumption that he wouldn't be challenged against him.

Whichever way you look at it, that's low.

Admir ehim for doing what it takes if you like, that's fine. But as I said, it doesn't change my opinion that the guy is a cock.

Admir Ehim? Sounds like a footballer from one of the Arabic countries. :D  ;)

Also with regards to disliking the dominant person/team in a sport, what is your feeling towards Usain Bolt, and a few years ago Roger Federer.

I personally am not a huge fan of Formula 1, but since the Webber/Vettel dispute I have taken a big interest and I even watched some of the Chinese grand prix hoping for more of the same. Formula 1 is a popular sport anyway, but this has actually helped the sport as I know many people who are now taking more of an interest because of the storm this caused.

Â