Formula One - 2013

BOF

Oh I appreciate that, its all about the rich & powerful for that event which is why it will never get cancelled.

As a racing spectacle though its dire.

Not necessarily. Save up a couple of grand and you can go yourself, soak it up.

I couldn't give a **** about F1 anymore, but back in the day I always saw it more as a spectacle rather than part of the actual "sport".

Only just found out that Jose Froilan Gonzalez died at 90 years of age on Saturday. The first man to win an F1 race in a Ferrari. Jack Brabham is now the oldest living race winner.

Start of the FIA hearing into the Mercedes tyre test today, think they will be probably get a points deduction.

Constructers points deduction and a fine and Ross brawn will walk away/sacked by the end of the season

It aint looking good, frankly, for anyone.

Pirelli threatening to sue the FIA. Mercedes threatening to walk away from F1...

From what I can tell. Mercedes look to have behaved very underhand and will probably, rightly, get punished for it. The repercussions of it are when it will get interesting.

Well the first reprecussions are that teams have already agreed to some limited in-season testing from next season.

I think as this was a sporting transgression it should primarily be a sporting punishment rather than a financial one. I don't think exclusion from the WCC would be overly harsh. Although leave the drivers in the WDC. It's the team that agreed to the test. That would have the knock-on effect of a secondary punishment being a financial one re- winnings.

It doesn't look good for Ross Brawn. His position was already under scrutiny before the season started when Toto Wolff came on board. This is certainly a convenient way of removing him by using an untenable position rather than by AMG losing face.

Webber confirms he's gone at end of season

Mark Webber has confirmed he will leave F1 at the end of the year to join Porsche’s team for the World Endurance Championship.

Porsche have already tested the LMP1 car (pictured) which will compete in next year’s WEC including the Le Mans 24 Hours.

“It’s an honour for me to join Porsche at its return to the top category in Le Mans and in the sports car World Endurance Championship and be part of the team,” said Webber.

“Porsche has written racing history as a manufacturer and stands for outstanding technology and performance at the highest level. I’m very much looking forward to this new challenge after my time in Formula 1.

“Porsche will undoubtedly set itself very high goals. I can hardly wait to pilot one of the fastest sports cars in the world.”

Webber will join former Red Bull development driver Neel Jani at Porsche’s LMP1 team along with Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas. He previously raced for Mercedes’ Le Mans team but they withdrew from the 1999 race after experiencing a series of high-speed flips, two of which were suffered by Webber.

“Mark is without doubt one of the world’s best race drivers,” said Porsche board member Wolfgang Hatz. “He has experience at the Le Mans 24 hour race and on top of that he’s been a Porsche enthusiast for many years.”

Webber’s F1 departure will come at the end of his seventh season with Red Bull during which he has won nine Grands Prix. But he has increasingly come into conflict with team mate Sebastian Vettel, who joined the outfit in 2009 and has since won 28 races and three world championships.

Matters came to a head in this year’s Malaysian Grand Prix where Vettel was ordered not to pass Webber in the closing stages of the race. Vettel defied the instruction and went on to win. Shortly afterwards rumours began to surface that Webber was considering leaving the team.

Webber made his Formula One debut with Minardi in 2002, achieving a remarkable fifth place on his debut in an attrition-hit race. Subsequent moves to Jaguar and Williams brought him closer to Grand Prix success. But it wasn’t until he joined Red Bull that he claimed his first victory, at the Nurburgring in 2009.

His decision to leave Red Bull will leave a vacant seat at the team which has won the last three constructors’ championships.

zero surprise to me really. He's not quite as good a driver as Vettel, and has become disillusioned with it all, especially with Vettel winning everything whilst being such a prick.

Sorry to see him go but can't say I'm surprised. He really had the air of someone thinking "Why am I bothering with this shit?" after the Vettel overtaking move. It seems he hated Vettel and Marko (entirely understandably, they strike me as a pair of words removed, too) and wasn't likely to get an offer from anyone other than a REMF team.

I quite like to see Kimi replace him and spend a few years putting manners on Vettel.

Absolutely right with what you say about his demeanour privateer. I'd go further and say he's had that air about him for the past 2 seasons. Kimi's not a bad shout but I wouldn't let my (as in your) dislike of Vettel cloud your judgement of how good he actually is. It'd be great to see them as team-mates though.

Absolutely right with what you say about his demeanour privateer. I'd go further and say he's had that air about him for the past 2 seasons. Kimi's not a bad shout but I wouldn't let my (as in your) dislike of Vettel cloud your judgement of how good he actually is. It'd be great to see them as team-mates though.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do realise he is seriously good but I think he is a horrible, smug word removed. I thought the same about Schumacher. I didn't think I would ever dislike a driver as much as MS but Vettel may take his crown. The only thing I like about MS is he has always looked like a middle aged lesbian and I can laugh at him for that.

Vettel and Kimi would promise some fireworks but I fear Marko's Pet would always get preferential treatment so it wouldn't be an equal scrap. Which is exactly how the Cheating Teutonics like it.

Kimi is one of the few who doesn't demand preferential treatment. He'd have no problem going to RBR as long as he got equal treatment. That's easily catered for in a contract and RBR do allow their drivers to race (as we've seen at their cost down the years). I believe Vettel wouldn't mind either. You'd never get Alonso moving to join Vettel or allowing someone like Kimi to join Ferrari.

Kimi is one of the few who doesn't demand preferential treatment. He'd have no problem going to RBR as long as he got equal treatment. That's easily catered for in a contract and RBR do allow their drivers to race (as we've seen at their cost down the years). I believe Vettel wouldn't mind either. You'd never get Alonso moving to join Vettel or allowing someone like Kimi to join Ferrari.

I think Vettel would be shitting it if Kimi joined the team. Would be great for us but not for RBR.

McLaren really are tosh this year. Looking like Lewis made the right decision to move to Mercedes.

Â