Rating and Reactions: Villa 0-3 Wigan

limpid

I'M WILLING TO TURN A BLIND EYE TO THIS BICKERING IN HERE AS WE'RE ALL HURTING BADLY AFTER TODAY'S GAME.

IT'S GOT TO STOP NOW THOUGH. AND NO TRANSFERRING IT TO OTHER THREADS.

YOU WILL BE BANNED...

My apologies Nuremberg. Your post only became visible to me after my last post was posted.

We can't score goals.

We can't defend.

We can't keep the ball.

We have been thumped three games in a row, twice at home.

Worst GD in the league.

There is not a single reason to be positive right now. Not one. We are in absolute dire straits.

Other teams have worked out our tactics now! Mark Benteke out of the game and we have nothing. No other team plays 5-3-2 reason, its simple to deal with. Watching MOTD its obvious any team playing us will and has ripped us a new one. Lambert please have a look its not working!!!!!

What a shambles - 16 goals in our net without us scoring even 1 in reply!

Personally I still support Lambert but am not happy with a) the tactics or B) the performances but looking at the players available we do have a lot of crap!

If we can get Vlaar, N'Zog, Bent and Agbonlahor back playing (maybe even Dunne!) and then add in a few signings in the transfer window then I think we should JUST be OK.

Definitely need to stop this 5-3-2 rubbish as we have poor centre backs and no width. At least if we try and attack teams more they might spend less time in our half!

A key month lies ahead and one that Lerner needs to show full backing to the manager otherwise a trip to St Andrew awaits in the league next season :ph34r:

Edited by Brumstopdogs

I've been behind Lambert from the off this season and for weeks have defended him against fans who are all too quick to call for protests etc and spit their dummy out of the pram. I am still of the belief that we have to finally, for the first time in years, build stability at this club instead of chopping and changing as soon as times get tough.

I'll re-assess my viewpoint in perhaps February/March time once the players recruited during the January transfer window have bedded in but, I must admit, I'm running out of things to defend Lambert with I really am.

For me, the past three defeats lay firmly at the door of Lambert. And yet, I've just been told that Lambert made the squad train on Christmas Day whilst he still went off to see his family. Hardly a way to inspire your young team? And hardly a level playing field that, is it?

I believe we started this stupid 5-3-2/3-5-2 formation at Norwich away and, because of a couple of wins, it papered over some very large cracks which have now transpired in epic proportions. When Norwich went 1-0 up we had been extremely open at the back and if it wasn't for Holman's very quick reply, I think it could have been a very different game. I wasn't comfortable with it then, despite the good eventual win, and i'm sure as hell not comfortable with it now.

Equally, the stats just do not lie. We've scored the least and conceded the most in the Premier League - any team which can 'boast' that horrible stat is in serious, serious trouble. But probably the most worrying thing for me with PL is his uncanny resemblance to Martin O'Neill in almost every decision he makes, question he answers or situation he goes about. I actually like his pro-youth policy but it is clear we need some experienced quality to go with that - but is he too stubborn to admit it was too many youngsters too soon? Which is what he would be doing if he goes and buys experience in January. Likewise, is he too stubborn to scrap this stupid formation? I'm not so sure that he is. A lot of you have been very stinging over Stephen Ireland today and, rightly so after a very poor performance. But some of you are also forgetting that this was his first start in SEVEN weeks - why? Why was he dropped after Man City away when he was arguably our best player? Whether you like him or not, he is one of our best midfielders and to be picking players like Delph and El Ahmadi over him for weeks is just ludicrous in every sense, particularly when we desperately need experience. It is perhaps not surprising Ireland had such a poor game when he is suddenly thrust into this crisis-hit team after weeks on the sidelines. Have Lambert and Ireland had a bust-up, possibly over Darren Bent? Seems a possibility to me, especially when Lambert seems stubborn to the core like Martin O'Neill.

The way he speaks in the press also irritates me. For me, he comes across as very defensive, but almost lethargic in front of the camera. Is he a leader and can he inspire our team to fight back? I'm not convinced, particularly when I hear stories about Christmas Day training mentioned earlier.

The thing that has definitely bought him time, in my opinion, is our great cup run and more importantly his signings to date. Benteke, Westwood and Lowton have all been really good and I'd like to think it shows the great potential of a manager when they can pick out gems like this for such low prices. Granted, some of the signings have been poor, but every single manager in the world makes bad purchases.

I can write all this on here but I think it's really important that, when it comes to matchday, we all remain positive. The one thing which is really hurting our team at the moment is confidence - as there isn't any - so if the fans start to turn big time too, then we may as well pack up now and go home. Whether you've liked Lambert or not from the start, let me put on record how truly impressed I've been with Villa fans' patience so far this season, when we have witnessed some utter dross. When you've conceded 15 goals without reply in 3 games it's easier said than done I know, but we HAVE to support the team, more now than ever, with the youngsters playing before us!

UTV! Keep the faith!

One of the worst performances I have ever witnessed. We were terrible today, Wigan were playing through our midfield like there was nobody there and always seemed to have an extra man. We had one nice move in the whole game which was the offside goal.

Weimann and Lowton (maybe Bowery too) are the only ones to come out of today with any credit for me.

I don't know how we are going to turn this around but I do know i regret the 70 odd quid spend to go today, thoroughly depressing.

And Weimann was the only player to put a prooer stint in. ran and harried and pressed their defence. the rest, especially that lazy sack of shit Ireland, were awful. yes we have experienced players out but are they really the right type of experience you want in a dogfight? The spine of the team is jus wrong. Not playimg our best player this season in Westwood out is hurting us badly. We need some no nonsense bruisers in there to protect these kids.

I think we need to be realistic about how poor our squad is. Clark captained us today. Personally, I'd have Clark in the squad as a last a 4th choice defender. Herd and Lichaj wouldn't get anywhere near another PL team's first 11 in their first choice positions. Part me wonders whether it is poor management to let Warnock and Hutton (as hated as they are) rot/go out on loan when we've got clearly inferior players in our own squad.

I think Lambert got it wrong again today with the 5-3-2, again the 'wingbacks' mostly defended and dropped deep leaving the midfielders to do all the running. Of which Ireland and Holman didn't really fancy it.

Benteke is struggling with the pressure of being our only goal threat and Weimann blows hot and cold, not really consistent enough at the moment.

We're in serious need of investment in January, which is troubling because it's never a good time to do business.

This post is seriously depressing because it's bang on the money.

I also feel that Lambert has got it wrong tactically recently. However, I don't think that this means he's tactically inept as a manager, certainly compared to the likes of O'Neill. He's still young himself, and inexperienced in the Premier League. Does this mean we should get rid of him? Not at all, in my opinion. I trust him to bring in further reinforcements in January. Others may not, and it's entirely your prerogative to disagree, but I will say one thing: it's very, very easy to sit behind a keyboard and criticise. This team needs a lot of things right now (experience, confidence, physicality, belief, etc.) but what it certainly doesn't need is people making it even more difficult for those young players who are trying to get us out of this situation. How about you make the effort to get down to Villa Park and cheer them on, to give them a boost? Most of you won't, because that's difficult and criticising over the internet is so easy that it can be done by a ten-year-old. In fact, with some of the comments we often see here on VillaTalk, many of which are fickle at best, it's hard to tell that they aren't. Fair enough if, like me, you haven't really got the funds to get down to Villa and support the lads. Fair enough too, if you feel that the players/manager/owner/everyone needs changing; everyone is entitled to their opinion. But if you can support the lads, go and do it. We shouldn't just turn up when the times are good and feel that we are entitled to be entertained (particularly when we have some of the lowest ticket prices in the league, regardless of how expensive it is to watch football nowadays in general).

Some of you may not believe that our situation will improve. Others, like me, will still have faith that we'll do the right thing, starting in January. However, whichever side of the fence you're on, these young players need our support more than ever now. We aren't dealing with the likes of Warnock, Beye and so many others now, who were clearly happy to pick up their pay but not accept blame for their part in the shocking situation in which our club now finds itself. We're still in the process of getting certain clearings in the woods like these off the wage bill. In the meantime, get behind the team that we're building.

We'll be back. UTV.

How on earth 5 people have liked this post is beyond me.

You have a go at others for 'sitting behind a keyboard and criticising' and ask that 'you make the effort to go down to Villa Park to cheer the lads on' and then admit that you have your reasons for not going down to Villa Park yourself!

You are a hypocrite of the highest order.

• Like 2

Go to bed AvfcTheObsession :D but Troglodyte you haven't got a clue what your talking about, but how about you actually get yourself down to VP and experience the Championship level football first hand

Edited by Avflife

I'll just add my two cents before I go sleep, 'pacbuddies' I seem to recall you having a go at Villa fans (including myself) for buying half season tickets just as we are in a League Cup semi final and most likely (hopefully) a final and rereading the posts from the last three pages makes me think you know nothing about AVFC. The last three games being 'freak' results, your deluding thinking that I don't even concede that many on FM. This club is getting relegated the way we are going, January has become more important than I could ever imagine now.

Hope you enjoy your winnings "again".

'BleedClaretAndBlue' my arse!!!!

Haha hit a nerve? not allowed to bet against my team now. If I can get odds of 4\1 and I know how Godawful we've been its a smart thing to do.

I was fuckd off for the 3rd game running. Id much rather have 3 points than a few quid u doughnut.

• Like 1

We can't score goals.

We can't defend.

We can't keep the ball.

We have been thumped three games in a row, twice at home.

Worst GD in the league.

There is not a single reason to be positive right now. Not one. We are in absolute dire straits.

We are fine, We will be fine!.. lambert says so...

Honest bunch of lads!..

Â