Rating and Reactions: Villa 0-3 Wigan

limpid

I see what people are saying when they say 'in 3 games it might be different' but honestly, we've just lost 3-0 at home to Wigan having lost the previous 2 games by a total of 12 goals...

Yes, it may be better, but that's only because I can't get much worse...

If it wasn't in this thread can you point us in the direction of the "better fan than you " comments . ? I read the match thread and can't recall seeing any ?

Certainly, although I'll start with a couple from this thread:

I trust him to bring in further reinforcements in January. Others may not, and it's entirely your prerogative to disagree, but I will say one thing: it's very, very easy to sit behind a keyboard and criticise. This team needs a lot of things right now (experience, confidence, physicality, belief, etc.) but what it certainly doesn't need is people making it even more difficult for those young players who are trying to get us out of this situation. How about you make the effort to get down to Villa Park and cheer them on, to give them a boost? Most of you won't, because that's difficult and criticising over the internet is so easy that it can be done by a ten-year-old. In fact, with some of the comments we often see here on VillaTalk, many of which are fickle at best, it's hard to tell that they aren't.

"We're not fickle, we just... oh, wait. Yeah."

Well said, mate. What manager would want to come to Villa with the sort of fans we have? We play right into the "whining Brummies" stereotype.

whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post, this is the modern day football fan you are talking about

Christ, **** kneejerk reaction or what.

Are you all really calling for lamberts head?

And you wonder why were labelled fickle? After Liverpool he was the messiah.

Could probably find more if I was prepared to waste more of my time. Better if we just agree that 'fickle' and 'better fans will keep faith' are bullshit implications to make.

Edited by Laivasse

Herd shouldn't be playing CB. He could have easily used the injuries as an excuse to revert to 4 at the back if he wanted one, but instead persisted with a system that isn't working.

Confidence is so low that players won't even run forward into open space in front of them with the ball. Everyone was static on the ball, like a game of bloody netball.

Actually thought Bennett looked decent, may have given the ball away once or twice and ballooned one cross, but at least he had drive to get forward and beat a man. Same as Albrighton when he came on.

Ireland is disgraceful player. We can't afford (and I don't mean financially) to have a player who only turns up when he can be arsed. And today he couldn't. I don't care if he's our most talented footballer or not, it's pointless if he's not going to put a shift in.

Holman is a very very poor footballer. How many times he can't make a 2 yard pass is unbelievable. He's scored a few great goals but can't even do the basics.

We need a new midfield quite simply. As has been said (sorry for not quoting), it's not just the defence at fault for shipping goals or the attack for not scoring. We have no midfield and so we have no protection and no service.

Pressure off away from home at Swansea, hope we can nick something, and use FA cup to boost confidence. Hopefully.

Certainly, although I'll start with a couple from this thread:

Could probably find more if I was prepared to waste more of my time. Better if we just agree that 'fickle' and 'better fans will keep faith' are bullshit implications to make.

Find more ? You haven't found ANY posts where someone has called themselves a better fan have you ?

I've always understood the "don't come the better fan argument" line to be about individual posters criticising each other, not calls for supporters as a whole to be encouraging to the team and not undermine than at the matches. Obviously some people are better fans than others, just like some people are better parents, workers, runners or whatever.

What's the problem in encouraging fans to be supportive? It seems perfectly sensible. It's about the only positive thing that fans can actually do in a situation like this. And if there's any doubt about whether it's appreciated, listen to Lambert's comments about the impression the fans made chanting at the end of the Spurs game. Yes, it would be nice if that translated immediately into a few goals and some wins, but it's not quite that easy.

• Like 1

Find more ? You haven't found ANY posts where someone has called themselves a better fan have you ?

Sorry, what? Saying 'you probably weren't at the game so you should keep quiet' or 'you're just a typical modern day football fan' or 'you're just a stereotypical typical whining fickle brummie', amounts to saying 'I'm a better fan, so I know what's right'. What planet are you on?

Managers and pundits alike comment on a team after a poor lose by saying it's how they bounce back... we bounced back from losing 8-0 by losing 4-0 and bounced back to that by losing 3-0.

We habe shown no character at all.

Seeing Lamberts. Interview he. Comes accross at a loss on what to do. I mean to be fair what can he do.injuries are appalling and we must buy 3 quality players in January

Edited by VillaIoW

Sorry, what? Saying 'you probably weren't at the game so you should keep quiet' or 'you're just a typical modern day football fan' or 'you're just a stereotypical typical whining fickle brummie', amounts to saying 'I'm a better fan, so I know what's right'. What planet are you on?

Do you really not recognise the difference between

We play right into the "whining Brummies" stereotype

and

you're just a stereotypical typical whining fickle brummie

Really?

• Like 1

Just got back from the matched. That was **** wretched. Lambert appears clueless with regards to team set up, formation,'motivation tactics and substitutions. His signings look short of PL quality and I can safely say this is the worst villa team I can recall.

I'm not sure sacking him is the answer though, we'd have to pay a shed load in compo and who would come here with this set of players?

May aswell go down and let lambert work on thinks in the championship.

Ireland get booed off, doubt we'll see him again, good riddance

None of the comments you highlighted used the term "you're" in them .I can't see anybody being singled out or labelled less of a fan. On the most part they were sweeping generalisations and they do not automatically mean that anyone is "better" than anyone else. You seem to have took it personally for some reason and tried to make a huge deal out of something that isn't really there.

Do you really not recognise the difference between

We play right into the "whining Brummies" stereotype

and

you're just a stereotypical typical whining fickle brummie

Really?

The poster was not including himself as part of the 'whining brummie' stereotype. He was using it to characterise other fans. How do you not realise it's saying the same thing?

None of the comments you highlighted used the term "you're" in them .I can't see anybody being singled out or labelled less of a fan. On the most part they were sweeping generalisations and they do not automatically mean that anyone is "better" than anyone else. You seem to have took it personally for some reason and tried to make a huge deal out of something that isn't really there.

Whether 'you're' was used is neither here nor there, the posts were intended to characterise the type of fan that the posters did not agree with. A generalisation isn't so 'sweeping' when it's being applied only to people who don't share your perspective.

Â