Rating and Reactions: Villa 0-3 Wigan

limpid

Like it or not, PL has to stay. Since, JG left, we've been a club with a revolving door in the managers office. We need stability. Let's be honest. This team has been shit for several years now and its PL job to build a new foundation because we've been running in place for nearly 4 years. To make a great soldier and unit, you have to break them down and build them up. I agree, he does to add more Premier League experience to the team, but he can't control injuries. Some question his managerial tactics in the Premier League, but if I can remember he did pretty well last season. Grant you, he does need to make better tactical decisions. As for Randy, I truly believe his heart is in the right place. Lets face it, the ONLY way a team is going to get really good is if a rich arab buys the club. While life is miserable right now, I believe in what PL and RL are doing.

• Like 3

Like it or not, PL has to stay. Since, JG left, we've been a club with a revolving door in the managers office. We need stability. Let's be honest. This team has been shit for several years now and its PL job to build a new foundation because we've been running in place for nearly 4 years. To make a great soldier and unit, you have to break them down and build them up. I agree, he does to add more Premier League experience to the team, but he can't control injuries. Some question his managerial tactics in the Premier League, but if I can remember he did pretty well last season. Grant you, he does need to make better tactical decisions. As for Randy, I truly believe his heart is in the right place. Lets face it, the ONLY way a team is going to get really good is if a rich arab buys the club. While life is miserable right now, I believe in what PL and RL are doing.

I'd go along with this . We have been planning for the short term for far too long and it has led to nothing . It is going to be painful and will test the patience of a Saint but it is needed .

We might have been thumped for the third game running, but we're still not in the relegation zone. So to me, that's positive.

Getting hammered is difficult to take in the short term, but in the long term, 3 matches don't make a season. Previous to these 3 matches we'd been in reasonable form, which I'm sure we'll find again with players returning from injury, incoming signings and a good result here or there.

I think we need to be realistic about how poor our squad is. Clark captained us today. Personally, I'd have Clark in the squad as a last a 4th choice defender. Herd and Lichaj wouldn't get anywhere near another PL team's first 11 in their first choice positions. Part me wonders whether it is poor management to let Warnock and Hutton (as hated as they are) rot/go out on loan when we've got clearly inferior players in our own squad.

I think Lambert got it wrong again today with the 5-3-2, again the 'wingbacks' mostly defended and dropped deep leaving the midfielders to do all the running. Of which Ireland and Holman didn't really fancy it.

Benteke is struggling with the pressure of being our only goal threat and Weimann blows hot and cold, not really consistent enough at the moment.

We're in serious need of investment in January, which is troubling because it's never a good time to do business.

Just back from VP myself (a few pints heavier) after having to watch probably the worst Villa team I have seen in a long while, reminds me of the DOL days :unsure: Lambert hasn't got a clue tactically, playing 3-5-2 for 2 games (conceding 12) then playing the same formation again today and conceding another three, in the meanwhile without even scoring; why would you play 3 defenders (only one being a natural CB) against someone of Kone's pace, has he not learnt his lesson from the previous two games. Also leaving probably our best midfielder Westwood on the bench, taken off at Chelsea we conceded 4, then again taken off at Spurs and we conceded 4 again and then PL leaves him out and we concede 3, hint anywhere he should be the first name in the midifeld :angry:

Plus a few players I never want to see in a claret and blue shirt (unless its West Spam) again, Ireland and Herd, Ireland more than anything is a **** waste of space, 65k a week to do absolutely **** all and then moan when things aren't going right; he is somehow on higher wages than Jermaine Defoe :o

Roll on January and let's hope Lerner stops being tight and opens up his wallet, we need to spend 20-30m IMO and Lambert has to stop buying youth and buy some experienced heads. We need a CB, DCM, ACM and winger just for starters.

I wouldn't sack PL yet I want to see what he does in the January transfer window first.

Edited by Avflife

I get the sense Villa are playing like a team that has let all the hype from the Liverpool game go to their heads. In particular Benteke.

Across the park generally there is a lack of all the things we were doing well a few games ago, chasing, pressuring, forcing the opposition into mistakes, shooting.

I know Lambert publicly has to shield the players but privately I hope he sticks a rocket so far up their collective backsides they're shitting sparks for weeks.

Still, in Lambert I trust and will continue to do so, and dare I say relegation may actually be a good thing for the club, provided we can do a Newcastle and come straight back up comfortably

Well, it's bad.

I don't see any point changing the manager at this stage - if you look at the squad of players that are there then I don't think we're going to be able to do much more with them than we're doing - there simply isn't the quality.

I'd prefer four at the back now please - but the manager appears nervous about doing that until he's got Vlaar back. Today we were massively exposed by Ireland's inability to support Lichaj and Wigan picked on it all through the first half. We're just too easy to open up and teams are playing through us.

Bannan is our best defensive midfielder.

That isn't a positive.

Bannan and Westwood together seem to work pretty well - I think we need to be starting those two and playing someone behind them, for me that should either be the hustle and bustle of Herd or Clark in front of Baker and Vlaar.

Ultimately, we need players all over the pitch but mostly for me in between the little midfielders and the centrebacks we need a great big, defensive midfielder who makes it difficult for teams to dance through the middle of our defence - I'm sick of seeing that.

I thought Weimann did okay today, he chased everything and got into some good positions, Bowery showed he's got something even if he's currently half a step behind the game and Benteke showed that if you get tight to him you can render him completely ineffectual.

Bannan was the best of our midfielders, Ireland was poor and Holman isn't good enough on a good day.

Bennett could be a decent left back in a team that are already defensively sound, Lowton is a decent right back, but not so good elsewhere, Clark makes me increasingly unsure and Guzan was a little off today.

Not good enough and we need to do something about it and soon because we look like a team heading for only one place.

Oh and it hardly seems to matter today, but I feel I should point out that Franco Di Santo is a whining little bitch.

I achieved a lifetime dream in the first half today as I managed to punch the ball back into play for Al Habsi :)

That was the best part of the match for me, because everything else was absolutely diabolical. I hate it when our fans boo our players individually but if ever it was deserved it was for Ireland's 'performance' today. It was not even worthy of a pub team. I have no idea how he managed to win fan's POTY last season but my God he was total shite today. I genuinely hope I never see him in a Villa shirt again. There just seems to be nothing positive about this team, we have no wingers and in the centre of midfield we are pitiful. The defence has had it's decent moments this season but the confidence has gone. I have no idea who was marking Gomis for the first goal, but something must be seriously wrong if we lose concentration 2 minutes into a game. Conceding to a free header from a corner 2 minutes into a game is unforgivable.

I am still behind Lambert but my patience is wearing thin.

By the way, my top 3 worst games I've seen at VP are always with Wigan. 0-2 2006, 0-2 2009, and 0-3 2012. Ironically the only time I have been to the DW was a 2-1 win a couple of years ago.

I have no idea who was marking Gomis for the first goal, but something must be seriously wrong if we lose concentration 2 minutes into a game. Conceding to a free header from a corner 2 minutes into a game is unforgivable.

It was supposed to be Benteke marking, but just like much of the time in the last three games he looked like he couldn't be arsed.

Â