The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

I was under the impression that the 5 year contract thing was due to his wages at Man City.

So we wouldnt match the weekly/monthly wage he was on at MC and gave him a lower wage BUT gave him a longer contract to cover the shortfall so he wouldnt lose out on money if he had stayed at Man City.

I am not a fan of Given, good no excellent shot stopper but the defense in front of him is always in chaos, but the contract thing is not something to slag him off about.

At the time Friedal had gone to Spuds and Guzan was not ready so we needed a good GoalKeeper.  As said his performances went a big way to keeping us up that season as did Bent's goals early in the season.

• Like 1

The contract isn't Given's fault, there is no reason to blame him for it.

However, the decision to give him that contract was utter stupidity pure and simple. Some of us said it at the time so it isn't hindsight, it was just another idiotic decision by the three clowns who were running our club at that time.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that the 5 year contract thing was due to his wages at Man City.

So we wouldnt match the weekly/monthly wage he was on at MC and gave him a lower wage BUT gave him a longer contract to cover the shortfall so he wouldnt lose out on money if he had stayed at Man City.

I remember that being the theory at the time but it didn't make any sense. His wages were massive at city so we should have said you either stay there and take the money or come to Villa, play and take a pay cut. Or do like Spurs did with Adebayor and get City to pay part of his wages. It was madness to dish out that contract to an ageing, injury prone keeper who has been a liability on crosses/corners during his whole career.

Edited by villa89

I remember that being the theory at the time but it didn't make any sense. His wages were massive at city so we should have said you either stay there and take the money or come to Villa, play and take a pay cut. Or do like Spurs did with Adebayor and get City to pay part of his wages. It was madness to dish out that contract to an ageing, injury prone keeper who has been a liability on crosses/corners during his whole career.

He did take a paycut to come and join us though.

• Like 1

Off to Newcastle if they get this emergency loan I reckon....

Exactly what I thought, personally I dont think it should be allowed, they should be made to sign Gabor Kirally like we did and suffer the consequences of his shit goalkeeping.

• Like 3

Why do we think it would be Given? I mean, are you even allowed to take a keeper from the same division? We got Kiraly from the Championship I thought. And anyway, if they did take a PL goalie, wouldn't Friedel be a better bet? He's Spuds' third choice, Given is our second. 

• Like 1

With the 5 year thing....I thought one of the reasons was that when Friedel joined we only gave him a 3 year deal on the assumption that when it finished and he was 40 he would be ready to retire. Of course when it finished he was still in good shape and it wasn't really an option to offer him a new deal with higher wages at his age.

So we just gave Given one massive contract instead of potentially having to offer him a new deal down the line. Of course he hasn't had anywhere near the impact here and we could've just realised him if he'd signed a 3 year deal.

Anyway if he goes to Newcastle, who's number two. Can Steer be recalled or is it a fixed loan?

• 1 month later...
Â