The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

Collymore reporting Given will be going to Liverpool

His source has said " to become 3rd choice keeper at Liverpool"

So from 3rd choice at villa to 3rd choice at Liverpool

Great move shay

He'd definitely be ahead of Brad Jones in the pecking order if they sign him. So that would make him 2nd choice wouldn't it?

Not sure, he's not ahead of jed steer at our club so wouldn't be unreasonable to think he'd be behind jones

We brought Steer in which means Lambert wanted him. It would be odd for Liverpool to bring Given in to make him 3rd choice. I'd expect if they do get him, he'll go on their bench.

Collymore reporting Given will be going to Liverpool

His source has said " to become 3rd choice keeper at Liverpool"

So from 3rd choice at villa to 3rd choice at Liverpool

Great move shay

He'd definitely be ahead of Brad Jones in the pecking order if they sign him. So that would make him 2nd choice wouldn't it?

Not sure, he's not ahead of jed steer at our club so wouldn't be unreasonable to think he'd be behind jones

The difference is that he has been effectively frozen out of our squad due to wages.  Skill wise he would definitely be ahead of the pair of them!

Given is the one person who deserves a move, shame if he doesn't get it.

If he really really wanted his move he would accept a massive cut in wages, looks like he's more happy picking up his £60k a week, which he's fully entitled to do of course...so I don't feel sorry for him.

In fairness we don't know that it was about wages, he might still be hoping for first team football, even in the Championship.

Come on now.

Brad Jones is an awful keeper, even Given in decline is better than him still.

I reckon Given must wish he'd never  left Man. City, would've got a medal or two and probably a few games with Joe Hart in dodgy form.

He needed to keep himself sharp for the Euros...oh wait.

Given (and Hutton) can still be loaned out, right? As long as they drop down a division? Heard somewhere that football league has one extra week for loans or free transfers  

there's a loan window for lower league clubs (Championship downwards) which opens in a week's time & runs til November. I'd expect Hutton to be loaned out somewhere, as he was last season & Given may well be one of first ports of call if any decent sized club hits a GK injury crisis. maybe others like Albrighton, Bowery, Johnson could get loaned too.

you can sign free agents at any time.

Given (and Hutton) can still be loaned out, right? As long as they drop down a division? Heard somewhere that football league has one extra week for loans or free transfers  

there's a loan window for lower league clubs (Championship downwards) which opens in a week's time & runs til November. I'd expect Hutton to be loaned out somewhere, as he was last season & Given may well be one of first ports of call if any decent sized club hits a GK injury crisis. maybe others like Albrighton, Bowery, Johnson could get loaned too.

you can sign free agents at any time.

free agents are a bit more complicated i think. if we signed, say, Beckham in a month, we can't play him the next registration window opens

I think that is only if they've been released since the last transfer window (i.e. if we released Hutton tomorrow, he couldn't register for someone else til Jan) but if someone was released before the end of the window, they'd be free to sign for anyone & play straight away.

He can still be loaned to a Prem club with a keeper injury under the emergency loan for keepers rule, he can go to a championship club on loan or if he did find another club anywhere we could do a deal to release him on a free.

Championship loan until January is the most likely.

It a little strange that no one game in for him but nothing compared to the current Brazil goalkeeper being third choice at a Championship club!!!

He can still be loaned to a Prem club with a keeper injury under the emergency loan for keepers rule, he can go to a championship club on loan or if he did find another club anywhere we could do a deal to release him on a free.

Championship loan until January is the most likely.

It a little strange that no one game in for him but nothing compared to the current Brazil goalkeeper being third choice at a Championship club!!!

Both excellent examples of giving the wrong contracts to the wrong players I think.......hindsight is a wonderful thing though

Â