U.S. Politics

maqroll

24 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Plenty will just say it’s fake news. The Times say they can’t actually show the tax records (to protect their sources) so you have to trust they are telling the truth. His supporters don’t believe the Times tells the truth. 

So therefore they have to believe that the US paper of record just "makes up stuff" to make Trump look bad?

Anything (even if it is 169 years old) that contradicts our "dear leader" is fake news? Where are we? Who are we? His supporters are cultist morons.

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

So therefore they have to believe that the US paper of record just "makes up stuff" to make Trump look bad?

Anything (even if it is 169 years old) that contradicts our "dear leader" is fake news? Where are we? Who are we? His supporters are cultist morons.

The left don’t believe news sources like Fox News or Breitbart and the right don’t believe the Times, CNN etc. Which media sources you trust usually depends on which ones confirm your political beliefs. 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

The left don’t believe news sources like Fox News or Breitbart and the right don’t believe the Times, CNN etc.

Fox "news" have themselves argued in court that they are entertainment and that no reasonable person could think it's news.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

The left don’t believe news sources like Fox News or Breitbart and the right don’t believe the Times, CNN etc. Which media sources you trust usually depends on which ones confirm your political beliefs. 

There's an HBO show called newsroom or something, which I found alright. It hits the head in the need of a news outlet that actually reports the news with no pre-existing agenda, right or left. Must be a novel idea for todays journalists

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

There's an HBO show called newsroom or something, which I found alright. It hits the head in the need of a news outlet that actually reports the news with no pre-existing agenda, right or left. Must be a novel idea for todays journalists

I think public broadcasters normally fill that role (and US doesn’t have one). Though in the U.K. the public (on both sides of the political spectrum) seem to be losing trust in the BBC.

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I think public broadcasters normally fill that role (and US doesn’t have one). Though in the U.K. the public (on both sides of the political spectrum) seem to be losing trust in the BBC.

We have that here as well, but at least here (in my life time) they've always had a slight leftist angle. Think it's mostly cause all their senior employees and journalists in general have been part of the 60-70 radical political movements. A lot of them are feminists and marxists, and while there is nothing wrong with being that it's coloured the journalism some what. Which is a shame cause it's given fuel to the right wing morons. 

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

This is a false equivalence. 

The Times are a right leaning news source, and CNN, for their faults, are still new. Fox are entertainment and Breitbart is just propaganda. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Or lack of 😂

Confirms what we already knew, otherwise why try so hard to hide them. 
The Biden campaign doing a much better smear job so far than than Hilary could manage.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

Confirms what we already knew, otherwise why try so hard to hide them. 
The Biden campaign doing a much better smear job so far than than Hilary could manage.

Hope it’s successful but expect Trump to go down swinging 

• Like 1

He's already said it's fake news, his base is nodding along happily. He will probably say something racist or appoint OJ Simpson to be his campaign manager in the next day or so to move the news cycle on. There are supposed to be more bombshell revelations to come, they are going to need to be better than rich man pays no taxes.  I mean it's the American dream to get rich enough to fiddle your taxes and it to be ok. FFS he has already before all this came out said that paying no tax makes him smart and that he pays loads of tax. He's admitted it and contradicted it and nothing has happened. He has today still claimed that he is under audit or he would release the information himself to prove the news fake. He's claimed he is under audit since 2015. Nothing changes.

I pay more tax than Amazon too, didn't see anything done about that either.

Nothing trump says stands up to any sort of scrutiny, which tells you everything you need to know about the people still voting for him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Straggler said:

He's already said it's fake news, his base is nodding along happily. He will probably say something racist or appoint OJ Simpson to be his campaign manager in the next day or so to move the news cycle on. There are supposed to be more bombshell revelations to come, they are going to need to be better than rich man pays no taxes.  I mean it's the American dream to get rich enough to fiddle your taxes and it to be ok. FFS he has already before all this came out said that paying no tax makes him smart and that he pays loads of tax. He's admitted it and contradicted it and nothing has happened. He has today still claimed that he is under audit or he would release the information himself to prove the news fake. He's claimed he is under audit since 2015. Nothing changes.

I pay more tax than Amazon too, didn't see anything done about that either.

Nothing trump says stands up to any sort of scrutiny, which tells you everything you need to know about the people still voting for him.

Watch Grayson Perry's American tour show on Channel 4, the opening of the third episode has him talk to some Trumpers. One starts crying (literally) about how proud of America he makes her.

I can recommend the show generally as a glimpse of how **** America is.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Never really liked The Newsroom, it was a big let down after West Wing from Aaron Sorkin.  The bias in US TV news is horrendous, for the Beeb and Sky's faults they imo are generally fair for the most part. 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is a false equivalence. 

The Times are a right leaning news source, and CNN, for their faults, are still new. Fox are entertainment and Breitbart is just propaganda. 

And obviously if you asked a Republican voter their take would be virtually the opposite. 

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

And obviously if you asked a Republican voter their take would be virtually the opposite. 

Well, sure but Fox themselves said they are entertainment, and Breitbart ARE propaganda.

Also you used the Times, as as example of the left but they literally are a right wing newspaper so. Even CNN isn't particularly left leaning. 

A better comparison would be Breitbart v Mother Jones

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Well, sure but Fox themselves said they are entertainment, and Breitbart ARE propaganda.

Also you used the Times, as as example of the left but they literally are a right wing newspaper so. Even CNN isn't particularly left leaning. 

A better comparison would be Breitbart v Mother Jones

I was referring to the NY Times. The newspaper who have reported this story. They are considered factual but have a left wing bias according to ‘media bias fact check’. 
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/new-york-times/

I was referring to the NY Times. The newspaper who have reported this story. They are considered factual but have a left wing bias according to ‘media bias fact check’. 
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/new-york-times/

Ah right, different papers :) 

Even still, Breitbart v the NYT is a bit of a silly comparison...

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Ah right, different papers :) 

Even still, Breitbart v the NYT is a bit of a silly comparison...

Yes well we all agree in here on what is real news and what is ‘fake news’. Meanwhile the posters on a similar forum made up with Trump sympathisers also all agree what is real news and what is fake  🙂

Yes well we all agree in here on what is real news and what is ‘fake news’. Meanwhile the posters on a similar forum made up with Trump sympathisers also all agree what is real news and what is fake  🙂

I mean, it's a still a total false equivalence, regardless of what 'Trump sympathisers' would say. 

Â