U.S. Politics

maqroll

US once again acting on the side of those with ties to those involved in 9/11 and acting with a blatant disregard for international borders.

https://www.juancole.com/2019/12/categorically-rejects-strikes.html

"The US also hit two bases of the organization in Syria, attempting to destroy munitions stockpiles. Kata’ib Hizbullah in Syria has been fighting fundamentalist Sunni militias, some of them with ties to al-Qaeda, and also fought ISIL. It is a little hard to understand the US strikes on them in Syria unless the Trump administration is now backing the Sunni fundamentalists."

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

I’ve clicked on the Twitter threads and the posters have reposted the deleted tweets, the reposts are able to be read (one was just the guy asking for money). 

If it’s an attempt to suppress the posters message it has not worked. 

It was a blatant attempt to cut off his funding... or it could just have been a twitter glitch :crylaugh:

On 30/12/2019 at 15:03, villakram said:

US once again acting on the side of those with ties to those involved in 9/11 and acting with a blatant disregard for international borders.

https://www.juancole.com/2019/12/categorically-rejects-strikes.html

"The US also hit two bases of the organization in Syria, attempting to destroy munitions stockpiles. Kata’ib Hizbullah in Syria has been fighting fundamentalist Sunni militias, some of them with ties to al-Qaeda, and also fought ISIL. It is a little hard to understand the US strikes on them in Syria unless the Trump administration is now backing the Sunni fundamentalists."

Seems we are entering an era in the USA where the people who were always the least patriotic are now the most and vice versa. The GOP has sold out to Russia and the Wahhabists in KSA. Stunning. Beyond disgraceful and embarrassing. it's criminal too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, maqroll said:

Seems we are entering an era in the USA where the people who were always the least patriotic are now the most and vice versa. The GOP has sold out to Russia and the Wahhabists in KSA. Stunning. Beyond disgraceful and embarrassing. it's criminal too.

Well, it's just a continuation of things really. Obama should never be forgiven for his, to paraphrase, "let's look forward" cowardice/arch-pragmatism.

It is funny to see how the various parties positions change depending on how the polling is going, and then claiming some sort of moral or ethical high ground. 

On 31/12/2019 at 08:00, LondonLax said:

I’ve clicked on the Twitter threads and the posters have reposted the deleted tweets, the reposts are able to be read (one was just the guy asking for money). 

If it’s an attempt to suppress the posters message it has not worked. 

It's algorithms.  They commented last year, after some people complained about being "shadow banned", here.

We do not shadow ban. You are always able to see the tweets from accounts you follow (although you may have to do more work to find them, like go directly to their profile). And we certainly don’t shadow ban based on political viewpoints or ideology.

We do rank tweets and search results. We do this because Twitter is most useful when it’s immediately relevant. These ranking models take many signals into consideration to best organize tweets for timely relevance. We must also address bad-faith actors who intend to manipulate or detract from healthy conversation.

As a specific example, if a search result has 30,000 tweets, here’s what we take into consideration when ranking:

• Tweets from people you’re interested in should be ranked highly
  • Tweets that are popular are likely to be interesting and should be higher ranked
  • Tweets from bad-faith actors who intend to manipulate or divide the conversation should be ranked lower

They do also intervene with real people making judgements, in response to requests to ban something.  This seems very prolific, oddly, in its use against gender-critical feminists and in support of trans rights activists.  I'm sure the propaganda operatives of the intelligence services are not shy in requesting some things are removed, given the effort they put into trying to control what we hear about, so I suppose that both algorithms and personal judgement come into play to some extent.  Having someone categorised as a "bad faith actor" would be an obvious point of leverage for propagandists.  (You may also be aware that Facebook censor on political grounds, and have used the very right-wing Atlantic Council to form judgements on what should be censored).

So is this the long play to get re-elected later this year or is it the big play to get his war against Iran going before he is kicked out.

Or both.

This is too high profile for Iran to not respond, and once they do the door is open.

Bomb them back to the stone age and USA! USA! USA! 

Freedom Fries for everyone!!!

On 03/01/2020 at 10:57, sne said:

So is this the long play to get re-elected later this year or is it the big play to get his war against Iran going before he is kicked out.

For Trump, there's no doubt for me that this is all about getting reelected. It's funny how you can look at criticisms he's made of everyone else over the years, and see that he just accuses everyone else of the things he's really doing and thinking. He was going to find a way to make this happen no matter what in the run up to the 2020 election.

• Like 4

So Epstein video backup doesn’t exist because they managed to record the wrong cell... of which there was two.

cameras didn’t work even after an inspection.

seriously why aren’t people shouting about this? 

I don’t think they’ve even bothered trying to cover it up.

On 10/08/2019 at 20:57, peterms said:

So Mr Epstein, with lots of info about sex abuse by very powerful people, on suicide watch in prison, manages to commit suicide.

Oh, right.

I expect the CCTV will have malfunctioned, or been eaten by bears or something.

29 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

So Epstein video backup doesn’t exist because they managed to record the wrong cell... of which there was two.

cameras didn’t work even after an inspection.

seriously why aren’t people shouting about this? 

I don’t think they’ve even bothered trying to cover it up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, peterms said:

Exactly it’s the worst cover up ever. Not even joking,

the fact that the leadership of the US and various other big wigs will have been involved should be front page news.

i think the sheer disgust of global politics Over the past four years has worn the public down to complete apathy of cheap seat rhetoric.

i was highly engaged in politics until recently but it’s battered me more than villas Awful premiership run and resulting relegation.

knowing that many powerful celebrities, royalty and politicians are paedo killing nonces (allegedly) is really a nail in the coffin for any kind of social justice. 

if you can’t get that brought to justice after a mega poor coverup, just give up. 

34 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Exactly it’s the worst cover up ever. Not even joking,

the fact that the leadership of the US and various other big wigs will have been involved should be front page news.

i think the sheer disgust of global politics Over the past four years has worn the public down to complete apathy of cheap seat rhetoric.

i was highly engaged in politics until recently but it’s battered me more than villas Awful premiership run and resulting relegation.

knowing that many powerful celebrities, royalty and politicians are paedo killing nonces (allegedly) is really a nail in the coffin for any kind of social justice. 

if you can’t get that brought to justice after a mega poor coverup, just give up. 

No, don't give up.

This stuff should fire you up to resist, in whatever way is practical for you.

Apathy, disengagement, is what they want.  It's how they win.  Don't be doing with it.

Â