U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Looking at the runners and riders I can’t pick out one who is likely to beat him. 

The Democrats failure to produce a stellar candidate after 3 years of Trumps shows they’re as intellectually bankrupt as the Republicans. 

I know of another messy haired blonde in charge who struggles to have anyone to compete against it.

Funny.

• Like 1

Compare this to Benghazi. Here the CIA were running guns and potentially people to the Syrian conflict. All super shady, but foreign policy so ok. 

Now, the republicans could have pushed much much harder and perhaps they would have had a CIA officer been arrested on a DUI or some such to crack it all open. As it were, they were lucky/unlucky in that this evidence did not arrive and so instead they had a story that completely stunk and they used this again and again and again. That wiff followed Clinton around.

Imho, Pelosi should have held firm and instead used this to allude to corruption and simply have investigation after investigation to hound Trump. It's not clear yet, but it appears that in pulling the impeachment trigger, they have strengthened Trump. Of course, all such analysis is somewhat moot pending the election, which will be definitive.

If the economy holds firm, a 2nd term is empirically more likely, and perhaps could be described as the probable outcome. 

Edited by villakram
  • Like 1

My fear is that when he wins in the Senate it will strengthen his position and then the Dems lose the house in 2020. 

If the Republicans have the house, Senate and the White House, America will look a lot different for the next 50 years. Trump was too busy fighting other Republicans  last time they had control of all 3. He won’t make the same mistake twice.

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

My fear is that when he wins in the Senate it will strengthen his position and then the Dems lose the house in 2020. 

If the Republicans have the house, Senate and the White House, America will look a lot different for the next 50 years. Trump was too busy fighting other Republicans  last time they had control of all 3. He won’t make the same mistake twice.

Ginsberg would have resigned already (except hubris) and would have been forced to in any sensibly run country (held on during Obama for some insane reason), and is unlikely to survive another presidency. Random chance could take out another SC justice too. Lots and lots at stake and somehow Pelosi is still in charge of the DNC... seems to be many people of all walks benefitting from Trump consuming so much oxygen.

27 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Pelosi suggesting she won't send the articles of impeachment to the Senate is pretty much an admission that this was politics and they do not have faith in strength of what was presented. When will this moron retire. She's an absolute parasite.

That's an interesting take.

For me, it's the Dem leadership finally growing a spine. Repubs have outmanoeuvred them time after time and they are finally fighting back.

I view it as 'we know that the Senate will acquit, regardless of whatever is put in front of them, let's let Trump sweat it out.'

Both McConnell and Graham have said this won't be a fair trial and that they aren't neutral. They've said they won't allow witnesses. They're said they won't honour subpoenas. Why send it there when she knows this, and they admit it? There is nothing more that Trump wants than to be acquitted. 

You're right, it is wholly partisan. By the Republicans. The Dems could have a recorded phone call of Trump stating he's a Russian asset and they would still acquit him.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 4

There's a legal gent in the papers today claiming that strictly speaking the impeachment is not official until it is delivered to the senate. Not at all clear how much fact vs legal opinion this is. Be kinda funny though, if 'twas true.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Trump held a rally and decided to give his opinions on wind turbines, or 'windmills' as he calls them, and it needs to be heard to be believed:

I know everybody already knows/suspects that he's very unwell, mentally speaking, but this is just further evidence.

a windmill will kill many boiled eagles

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Trump held a rally and decided to give his opinions on wind turbines, or 'windmills' as he calls them, and it needs to be heard to be believed:

I know everybody already knows/suspects that he's very unwell, mentally speaking, but this is just further evidence.

They are pretty standard conservative talking points, we have conservatives saying the same in Australia i.e. the manufacture of renewables causes more pollution than they are worth, turbines kill wildlife and destroy landscapes etc. I’m surprised he didn’t bring out the one about the noise from turbines causing illness (‘Wind Turbine Syndrome’).

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

“I’ve studied them more than anyone” what an absolute retard.

He doesn't understand some, but he's studied windmills more than anybody. Clearly wind is a phenomena beyond the comprehension of mere mortals.

Seriously, the guy might be one of the stupidest people in the world. He has the best stupid, many people are saying it. It's true! Nobody is stupid like Donald Trump.

Â