U.S. Politics

maqroll

One odd thing I've noticed from social media - the large numbers of black Africans who are passionately pro-Trump (and I don't think they're bots, either). Why? I guess part of it is the Christian thing, but it still seems rather odd. 

After getting a dressing down from the Chief Justice yesterday evening, the politicians in DC continue their merry game, while the President spends his time in Davos looking uber presidential, with the media in his palm. Poor old Schiff has to dribble in front of a mic this morning admitting that the game is up. Politics 101.

And in an added bonus, Senators Warren and Sanders have to take part in this game, while Biden and Buttigieg get to campaign away during the last 2 weeks in Iowa. Almost like the scheduling of things was planned by dear old Nancy. Pure tinfoil hattery of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I really struggle to tell when you’re joking or not?!

Granted I’ve only seen a few clips of his Davos speech, but boasting that America is ‘winning more than ever’ strikes me more of the insecure kid at school trying to convince everyone they’re amazing than ‘presidential’.

"looking Presidential"

Think branding/image and the attention span of your average voter. 

Lots of images of handshakes with various well known and important global leaders and CEOs, one after the other, after the other. Then Trump gets to admonish or praise as the mood requires to ensure the media remain in his palm. I'm not sure the average person pays much attention to the details of Trump's impromptu press briefings.

And (absent something mental), in a week or so Trump is going to get a grand victory moment, followed by a political rally tour courtesy of not being impeached. That'll be fun, thank you very much Nancy!

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

"looking Presidential"

Lots of images of handshakes with various well known and important global leaders and CEOs, one after the other, after the other. Then Trump gets to admonish or praise as the mood requires to ensure the media remain in his palm. I'm not sure the average person pays much attention to the details of Trump's impromptu press briefings.

And (absent something mental), in a week or so Trump is going to get a grand victory moment, followed by a political rally tour courtesy of not being impeached. That'll be fun, thank you very much Nancy!

This was always going to be the outcome which made the entire thing a charade and one that could backfire quite heavily on the Dems. I pointed this out a while back and it didn't go down that well here but I'd wager this is precisely what is going to happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

"looking Presidential"

Speaking as an outsider looking in, l think the denial of a fair and transparent trial by the Republicans will not play well to most Americans. Trumps base are probably okay with any lawlessness from Trump. No way can I see any Grand Victory moment in this for either Trump or the GOP. There is a better America out there, and they are watching.

@LakotaDakota that makes sense. 

It’s interesting how we latch on to different things as I was mainly laughing about him still moaning about Thunberg taking ‘his’ Time magazine cover and calling Nadler a sleaze ball.

You’re right though - they have all the images they need for the state propaganda channel and childish insults certainly won’t put the vast majority of his base off.

6 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Speaking as an outsider looking in, l think the denial of a fair and transparent trial by the Republicans will not play well to most Americans. Trumps base are probably okay with any lawlessness from Trump. No way can I see any Grand Victory moment in this for either Trump or the GOP. There is a better America out there, and they are watching.

I’m hopeful you’re right! Just comes down to how many vote purely on party lines for either side and how many genuine swing voters there are I guess.

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

@LakotaDakota that makes sense. 

It’s interesting how we latch on to different things as I was mainly laughing about him still moaning about Thunberg taking ‘his’ Time magazine cover and calling Nadler a sleaze ball.

You’re right though - they have all the images they need for the state propaganda channel and childish insults certainly won’t put the vast majority of his base off.

He can’t win with just his base. Quite a few middle of the road voters voted for Trump in 2016 because they bought his hype and simply couldn’t stomach Hilary. I think most of those people have been pretty repulsed with the reality of his Presidency. They won’t want to vote for the same candidate that the KKK are endorsing. If they do, then I honestly fear for America.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This was always going to be the outcome which made the entire thing a charade and one that could backfire quite heavily on the Dems. I pointed this out a while back and it didn't go down that well here but I'd wager this is precisely what is going to happen.

Tow the line you filthy Trump supporter!

30 minutes ago, villakram said:

Reading comprehension at an 8yr old level or some other meta such and such 😳

No, it's a very common - and understandable - mistake. It would be a logical assumption that it means 'get in line and do your share of hauling on the rope'. In fact, it refers to standing where you're told - with your toes against a chalk mark or line in the sand (e.g at the start of a race). 

Similar to 'give free rein (to)'. Often wrongly written as 'reign' - makes sense, in a 'ruling' context, but it's actually derived from horse riding - loosen the reins and give the horse its head. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No, it's a very common - and understandable - mistake. It would be a logical assumption that it means 'get in line and do your share of hauling on the rope'. In fact, it refers to standing where you're told - with your toes against a chalk mark or line in the sand (e.g at the start of a race). 

Similar to 'give free rein (to)'. Often wrongly written as 'reign' - makes sense, in a 'ruling' context, but it's actually derived from horse riding - loosen the reins and give the horse its head. 

you know my mind better than me as I've no idea how or why I wrote that, lol.

16 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The Dems know it too but figured letting it slide was a worse option.

Their logic being Fatboy needed to know there'd be some inconvenience in not playing by the rules, even if ultimately there was no chance of a successful impeachment.

This argument that 'he will be cleared anyway' basically gives Trump free rein (aha) to do whatever he wants.

He may be cleared by the Senate, but he'll always be an impeached president and everyone can see the crooked way in which the Republicans handled the case. They were saying they would clear him before the trial ffs. Imagine a jury in a criminal case were saying the same before they were sworn in?!

• Like 2

Â