U.S. Politics

maqroll

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Judges being political appointments is still one of the most pants on head stupid things in the political sphere I've seen. It's nearly as bad as Brexit.

Almost as bad as having "anti-corruption laws" that are completely circumvented by "campaign donations".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

On what possible legal grounds? 

Whatever they decide, which is typically how it works when .gov knocks on your door.

Greenwald has been twittering a lot about this and there's also a nice article over on the intercept. This is not exactly something to celebrate, regardless of how entertaining it is.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Judges being political appointments is still one of the most pants on head stupid things in the political sphere I've seen. It's nearly as bad as Brexit.

How about electing Judges, because that box is checked too... oh, and sheriffs etc. also. 

What there's racism etc., how in the world did that happen \sarc

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

giphy.gif

If I had a pound for every time someone posted that GIF in this thread, thinking the Trump idiocy was coming to a close, I'd have....well, more cash than Donald Trump, for a start.

Just now, Davkaus said:

If I had a pound for every time someone posted that GIF in this thread, thinking the Trump idiocy was coming to a close, I'd have....well, more cash than Donald Trump, for a start.

I think he was referring to the documents being leaked as it was posted at just about the same time and the conversation at that point was about precisely that

• Like 1

Do you think it's crossed their minds that the op-ed is a four-star piece of journalism?

Kelly has to be one of the favourites to have written it in the first place 

And Gorka, wasn't he let go by Kelly for being a fugitive from justice in his native Hungary, well that and actually managing to do nothing for 7 months and not being a Trump

2 hours ago, villakram said:

Whatever they decide, which is typically how it works when .gov knocks on your door.

Greenwald has been twittering a lot about this and there's also a nice article over on the intercept. This is not exactly something to celebrate, regardless of how entertaining it is.

Hang on, aren't you trying to have it coming and going here? On the one hand, I see:

. . . which seems to suggest that the Trump administration can kind of do whatever they want, up to and including prosecuting somebody for 'sedition' for writing an opinion article in a newspaper. 

And on the other hand, I see this:

. . . which seems to suggest that Trump is helpless under the power of having his agenda 'subverted' and his orders 'overriden'. Which is it, can he twist the law to his will as he sees fit, or is he being overriden? 

To take those three groups, we aren't interested today in 'unelected Generals' (and which of them has stopped his agenda anyway?) or 'CIA operatives', we're concerned with 'White House functionaries', who serve at the President's pleasure. I refuse to believe that every other White House employee in history has unquestioningly followed every order they have ever received, or that none of them have ever complained about some aspect of their boss's agenda in the media. Presumably history is littered with such examples, and presumably they mostly left soon after. When Trump finds this person, he or she will also be dumped out pretty quickly (as they should be) and what will follow will not be a trial for sedition, but the media hypocritically declaring them a 'hero of the Resistance' (just like John McCain!), a tour of the talk shows and an absurd book deal. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

To take those three groups, we aren't interested today in 'unelected Generals' (and which of them has stopped his agenda anyway?) or 'CIA operatives', we're concerned with 'White House functionaries', who serve at the President's pleasure. I refuse to believe that every other White House employee in history has unquestioningly followed every order they have ever received, or that none of them have ever complained about some aspect of their boss's agenda in the media. Presumably history is littered with such examples, and presumably they mostly left soon after. When Trump finds this person, he or she will also be dumped out pretty quickly (as they should be) and what will follow will not be a trial for sedition, but the media hypocritically declaring them a 'hero of the Resistance' (just like John McCain!), a tour of the talk shows and an absurd book deal. 

The only bit of that I slightly disagree with is in bold. By all accounts, there are far too many suspects for it to be quick. They don't even know who pick as Witchfinder General because Trump really doesn't know who to trust right now

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Hang on, aren't you trying to have it coming and going here? On the one hand, I see:

. . . which seems to suggest that the Trump administration can kind of do whatever they want, up to and including prosecuting somebody for 'sedition' for writing an opinion article in a newspaper. 

I was more getting at the rather general point that if any arm of the government decides to go after you, be that IRS/DoJ/FBI etc., then you are doomed as they essentially write the rules and have the limitless pocket book to outlast you in the case where they are wrong (which tends to be quite often). I didn't intend to be referring directly to the Trump presidency, though it will probably be worse in this case... or, as the NSA etc., have been breaking the law left and right for decades, perhaps it'll just be more of the same.

Remember how the Obama WH treated leakers aka whistleblowers and it's unlikely the Trump WH will be nicer.

Â