U.S. Politics

maqroll

On 22/11/2016 at 20:14, mjmooney said:

I'm calling this now - he isn't going to survive four years as president. Probably not assassination (although it's possible), but he'll be removed from office, one way or another, probably by forces within the Republican Party. "Ill health", perhaps, but they'll find a way. The man is utterly incapable of doing the job. Of course, the prospect of Pence stepping in is hardly a reassuring thought, but it'll happen. 

I like your thinking but it's too obvious and why wait till he has got the job ? Surely a lot simpler before he is in the White House + the opportunity's were there when he was flying all over the country but now,  little bit harder as he will always have bodyguards.  Not sure that killing innocents on a plane is the way forward,  knowing the USA they will a) shoot the wrong plane b ) It will land on a school most likely in a poor area.

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I like your thinking but it's too obvious and why wait till he has got the job ? Surely a lot simpler before he is in the White House + the opportunity's were there when he was flying all over the country but now,  little bit harder as he will always have bodyguards.  Not sure that killing innocents on a plane is the way forward,  knowing the USA they will a) shoot the wrong plane b ) It will land on a school most likely in a poor area.

I'm not talking about them killing him, just removing him from office by some means. 

On 22/11/2016 at 16:01, StefanAVFC said:

Take what?

Being told that their abhorrent views are abhorrent? I hate this rhetoric that has come from the election that these people have come out of the woodwork now because they weren't pandered to and told their views are okay.

The truth is a mainstream candidate came about who was openly talking about certain things (I'm not going to label him as anything) and it legimitised their views in their minds. Nothing more, nothing less.

They have come out of the woodwork,  we would not be talking about it otherwise.  I dunno,  it's like we are living in a cartoon at the moment.  If I look around and see people like Trump & Putin and the Brexit vote and what could be around the corner with Holland,  Italy and France then I fear there is more people living in the woodwork than we could of ever imagined.  Their views have been legitimised,  that's why you keep hearing it and seeing it.  Wilders the nonce in Holland has come out with some truly amazing things recently.  I said the only way to stop him saying these things now is to kill him.     "it legitimised their views in their minds. Nothing more, nothing less" more would be affecting election or referendum votes so it is a bit more than your "more than nothing more nothing less ?"  Changing peoples view is fine but when it changes how and what people can say about each other I think its a lot more.

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not talking about them killing him, just removing him from office by some means. 

Who would remove him? He's in with the military, in with the banks and in with corporate America - he doesn't give a flying one for anyone else, and in fairness, in terms of removing him, no one else matters. 

The Green Party has forced Wisconsin into a vote recount, and they've raised the $2M the last week to do it, and now it looks like they'll try Michigan and Pennsylvania. Total long shot, but it's possible that he gets stripped of the presidency before he even takes the oath. Not sure what would happen next in terms of who would be installed...Clinton? Pence? Ryan? Must read more about this. 

Edited by maqroll

57 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Not sure if she can accept foreign money, but if she can and you want Trump to go away...

She's swimming in foreign money, that was part of the problem!

PS. I know you're not talking about Hillary.

• Like 2

Stein did a very good radio interview over here a day or two ago. Said that they'd only really intended to try and raise money for a single state challenge but very quickly raised so much more than their target decided to go for a second.

On a single radio interview she sounded sane and practical. Interviewer challenged that she was just a stooge for Hilary. Stein came back that they've challenged Democrat won areas in the past and actually got convictions so Hilary, whilst invited, was not even communicating with the Greens.

It sounded like there was states where they still haven't actually counted the votes. They've counted lots, it's tied in with polling so they've t=kinda thought \yeah that'll do'. Other states are using polling machines proven to be susceptible to voter fraud.

From a passing interest, it wasn't painting a picture of a country that was the beacon of open and transparent democracy. Don't get me wrong, it's not Russia or Zimbabwe. But it's a long way from perfect. I was at a Thanksgiving Dinner, people were devastated, confused, embarrassed. I'd guess they were mostly Democrat / Liberal / Progressive types, but whatever, they've had a smack in the face and they're bracing themselves for 4 years of random.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Not sure if she can accept foreign money, but if she can and you want Trump to go away...she's up to $4.5M as of 6AM GMT

https://jillstein.nationbuilder.com/recount

I'm very much in two minds on this one. 

On the one hand, obviously, if there was widespread fraud - and if that fraud was sufficient to change the result - then you wouldn't want the R's to get away with it. Letting people steal an election would be a bad precedent. Obviously. 

On the other hand, you really do have to balance that with the risk of starting The Second American Civil War, it seems to me. When I look at these alt-right types, the words 'good losers' don't exactly spring unbidden to mind. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen the goal amount at far lower than what it currently is.

Why does it keep getting raised?

Because they keep adding more states to target. 

He's starting out as a very, very unpopular president. 

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm very much in two minds on this one. 

On the one hand, obviously, if there was widespread fraud - and if that fraud was sufficient to change the result - then you wouldn't want the R's to get away with it. Letting people steal an election would be a bad precedent. Obviously. 

On the other hand, you really do have to balance that with the risk of starting The Second American Civil War, it seems to me. When I look at these alt-right types, the words 'good losers' don't exactly spring unbidden to mind. 

I think you're right, but on the other hand GW Bush got away with it in Florida and we know how that turned out. 

No good options in this situation. 

• Like 1

Â