U.S. Politics

maqroll

worth remembering that it's an article in a magazine supplement of a newspaper

it wouldn't be the biggest shock ever if exploring the actual cited research showed something utterly different to that stated in the article

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

worth remembering that it's an article in a magazine supplement of a newspaper

it wouldn't be the biggest shock ever if exploring the actual cited research showed something utterly different to that stated in the article

the research is in the first link on the previous page. Skimming to it's conclusion:

Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination

This paper suggests that African-Americans face differential treatment when searching for jobs and this may still be a factor in why they do poorly in the labor market. Job applicants with African-American names get far fewer callbacks for each resume they send out. Equally importantly, applicants with African-American names find it hard to overcome this hurdle in callbacks by improving their observable skills or credentials. Taken at face value, our results on differential returns to skill have possibly important policy implications. They suggest that training programs alone may not be enough to alleviate the racial gap in labor market outcomes. For training to work, some general-equilibrium force outside the context of our experiment would have to be at play. In fact, if African Americans recognize how employers reward their skills, they may rationally be less willing than Whites to even participate in these programs.

http://twtwsports.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/ban-broadway-dont-throw-away-your-shot.html

Danville, Kentucky -- Folks, I was a superstar in High School. I got the ladiesI threw no hitters. I spent long summer nights with the neighborhood boys drinking Yuengling in the back of my pickup truck. What you might not know about me was that I was also a song and dance man.

That's right folks, I dabbled in the performing arts as a senior in high school. I had already thrived at all that Danville High had to offer: baseball, football, basketball, cross country, alcoholism, and opioid abuse. The only challenge left for me to conquer was the stage.

In the Spring of 1972, I auditioned for Danville High's rendition of Oklahoma!, the Rodgers and Hammerstein classic. I did it mostly to prove to the drama club nerds that I could. I ended up landing the lead role: Curly McLain, a fun-loving cowboy who sweeps an enthralling young farm girl off her feet. Folks, it turns out I was money both on the baseball diamond and on the stage. By all accounts, I stole the show. The Danville High thespian guild even awarded me the Actor of the Year honors. It's just one of the many gnarly feats I accomplished as a young lad at the best high school in Kentucky.

In spite of my extensive background in the fine arts, liberals that I encounter on twitter love to treat me like some sort of backwoods Kentuckian caveman. I'm tired of having staff writers at Vox write 'think pieces' about my economic anxiety. Folks, I may not be as cultured as some of the latte-sipping Macbook users on the West Coast, but I know a thing or two about fine culture. That's why I was repulsed to see how the cast of Broadway's Hamilton treated Vice President-Elect Mike Pence.

Folks, these leftist radicals have no business lecturing to America's next Dick Cheney. This is all just a liberal distraction tactic, meant to divert our attention from Donald's wildly successful transition and his excellent cabinet appointments. The liberal snowflake 'safe-space' crowd has been triggered by the election of Donald Trump. Their world has been turned upside down. The problem is, Donald Trump is more Hamiltonian than Hamilton himself. Here's some key facts about Alexander Hamilton:

Alexander Hamilton was an immigration hardliner:

"To admit foreigners indiscriminately to the rights of citizens, the moment they put foot in our country, as recommended in the message, would be nothing less than to admit the Grecian horse into the citadel of our liberty and sovereignty.” [source]
Most importantly, Hamilton was skeptical of any alliance with European powers, just as Trump today calls on the U.S. to withdraw from the NATO alliance:
You must be out of your Goddamn mind if you think
The President is gonna bring the nation to the brink
Of meddling in the middle of a military mess
A game of chess, where France is Queen and Kingless
We signed a treaty with a King whose head is now in a basket
Would you like to take it out and ask it?
“Should we honor our treaty, King Louis’ head?”
“Uh… do whatever you want, I’m super dead.” [source]
Long before Trump was using twitter to attack his mortal enemies Hillary Clinton and Saturday Night Live, Alexander Hamilton published pamphlets for the sole purpose of savaging fellow federalist Jon Adams in vicious fashion.

These kids have no business yelling at America's best Vice President since Aaron Burr if they can't even get history right. Alexander Hamilton didn't invent the electoral college only to have crybabies protest the totally legitimate election of our 45th president. Folks, I call on President Trump to do the right thing and hereby ban all Broadway musical performances. The theatre-industrial-complex has become a cesspool of liberal historical revisionism that stands in direct opposition to Mr. Trump's noble efforts to Make America Great Again. Broadway has become another arm of the democratic party and explicitly colluded with Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election. President Elect Trump must not throw away his shot. Don't get me wrong: I like musicals. I listen to my vinyl copy of The Music Manat least once a day, in between shots of Jim Beam Fire. But, to truly drain the swamp, Donald must ban Broadway. 

**** hell.This bloke wants some absurd fascist, Cromwell-ian society. This is the alt-right. Dangerous.

**** HELL

Edited by StefanAVFC

@TheStagMan (i haven't forgotten you)

Another example of Farage's outrageous hypocrisy. When Obama commented on Brexit, He absolutely hated it and denounced him. Trump comments on the actual makeup of UK government and he's loving it.

How anyone can like and support this odious scrotebag is beyond me.

Edited by StefanAVFC

47 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

**** HELL

Nothing wrong with that, aside from Nigel being an elected politician, the leader of a political  party, not being a senior diplomat and having never served in the FCO or Civil Service & generally being in love with himself. Otherwise, great idea Donald! 

It's an amusing quirk of the US system that you can pretty much buy Ambassadorial roles by making the right donations. Not unlike the HoL in that respect.

Of more consequence Trump has said via video message that he's pulling the US out of TTP in favour of bilateral trade deals. That guarantees TTIP is dead and pushes a US/UK post Brexit bilateral right up the agenda. 

With CETA already in place as the basis for a U.K./Canada bilateral deal that will see the UK having free trade with all of North America in the not too distant future. 

Brexit FTW.

Edited by Awol

44 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Hasn't this already been squashed anyway? There's no room for Farage or anyone in that role.

Regardless of whether it's quashed or not by No10, Trump has really committed a hugely destructive act of diplomacy, in 140 characters.

1) Used his position of political power to openly try and influence another nation's diplomatic process for his own gains.
2) Got the name of our country wrong.
3) Openly trying to get his mate a job.
4) Openly attacking and undermining the current US ambassador before he's even had the chance to meet him.
5) Advocating giving power to somebody unelected, after denouncing unelected officials.
6) Fundamentally mis-understanding how Farage is seen by most in the UK.
7) Either not being aware (willfully ignorant) or deliberately ignoring (even worse) what Theresa May said about the diplomatic process and Farage's place in that process. Undermining the UK/US 'special relationship' by already alienating the UK PM.
8) Now, for whatever reason, should Farage be invited into the process, it looks like the UK is kowtowing to Trump's whim after the slightest of pressure.
9) Ambassadors should be discreet. I bet nobody can even name the current US ambassador. They cannot be activists or lobbyists. Farage is the exact of opposite of this.

For 140 characters, that is a dangerously efficient, effective breach of democracy.

It's the Trump paradox. Trump is one of two things.

A genius who is playing everybody with these tweets and his rhetoric, in which, we're screwed, or he's really as ill-informed, thin-skinned and un-grounded in reality as he comes across, in which, we're totally screwed.

What a **** mess.

Edited by StefanAVFC

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

1) Used his position of political power to openly try and influence another nation's diplomatic process for his own gains.

Obama did the same in London over Brexit, except on a much bigger scale. 

I ageee Trump should mind his own business, do you agree Obama should have done the same? 

24 minutes ago, Awol said:

Obama did the same in London over Brexit, except on a much bigger scale. 

I ageee Trump should mind his own business, do you agree Obama should have done the same? 

56 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Another example of Farage's outrageous hypocrisy. When Obama commented on Brexit, He absolutely hated it and denounced him. Trump comments on the actual makeup of UK government and he's loving it.

I've addressed this. I don't think the situations are that similar. This is the president-elect commenting on a specific job role within the UK government on social media. Obama commented in an official sense. However, I can understand why people in the leave camp would be annoyed about Obama speaking out about it. Also context is important. Was Obama asked about it? Trump went out of his way to tweet about it.

Either way, okay Obama was in the wrong there, what relevance does the point "Obama did it too!" have? Obama is gone. (or will be) This deflection is so irritating. All the through the cycle, every single criticism labelled at Trump was rebuffed with 'emails!', 'Benghazi!' and Trump never had to actually answer for anything he has done. Brexit is over. Obama is soon to be done. Lets talk about Trump and the things he's saying because this constant deflection normalises his behaviour.

I'm taking the ignoring of the rest of my post as your agreement then?

Edited by StefanAVFC

Not sure if this has been posted already

Over the next year, NPI plans to release six detailed policy proposals “which we hope will directly impact a Trump administration”.

“We don’t need a direct connection to influence policy,” he explained, praising Steve Bannon’s general attitude but adding: “I do not think Steve Bannon is alt-right. He’s a fighter. And I think the Steve Bannon hiring was a wonderful thing.”

During his tenure as CEO of Breitbart, Bannon personally boasted that the outlet is “the platform of the alt-right”.

Yikes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Regardless of whether it's quashed or not by No10, Trump has really committed a hugely destructive act of diplomacy, in 140 characters.

2) Got the name of our country wrong.
3) Openly trying to get his mate a job.
4) Openly attacking and undermining the current US ambassador before he's even had the chance to meet him.
5) Advocating giving power to somebody unelected, after denouncing unelected officials.
6) Fundamentally mis-understanding how Farage is seen by most in the UK.
7) Either not being aware (willfully ignorant) or deliberately ignoring (even worse) what Theresa May said about the diplomatic process and Farage's place in that process. Undermining the UK/US 'special relationship' by already alienating the UK PM.
8) Now, for whatever reason, should Farage be invited into the process, it looks like the UK is kowtowing to Trump's whim after the slightest of pressure.
9) Ambassadors should be discreet. I bet nobody can even name the current US ambassador. They cannot be activists or lobbyists. Farage is the exact of opposite of this.

For 140 characters, that is a dangerously efficient, effective breach of democracy.

It's the Trump paradox. Trump is one of two things.

A genius who is playing everybody with these tweets and his rhetoric, in which, we're screwed, or he's really as ill-informed, thin-skinned and un-grounded in reality as he comes across, in which, we're totally screwed.

What a **** mess.

So I posted this (well very similar) on my Facebook and a Canadian guy I used to know messaged me this:

look what happened to your wonderful Engand…Soon to be Muslim land wake up buddy!

How can the left be blamed for what has happened? When shit like this is spouted everywhere? I didn't even mention muslims or any of Trump's views in my post and it's Muslim's fault. You go on any post on Twitter about what Keyblade posted. People defending it or attacking the left. You go on any of Trump's tweets. People attacking the left.

There is simply a total lack of political discourse. And that isn't the left's fault. 

I'll just add as well, that guy is a doctor. He isn't stupid.

Edited by StefanAVFC

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

So I posted this (well very similar) on my Facebook and a Canadian guy I used to know messaged me this:

How can the left be blamed for what has happened? When shit like this is spouted everywhere? I didn't even mention muslims or any of Trump's views in my post and it's Muslim's fault. You go on any post on Twitter about what Keyblade posted. People defending it or attacking the left. You go on any of Trump's tweets. People attacking the left.

There is simply a total lack of political discourse. And that isn't the left's fault. 

Wait wait wait, people are defending the Trump sieg heiling? Is anything universally off limits anymore?

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

You don't have to be stupid to be right wing. But it helps. :P

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

@TheStagMan (i haven't forgotten you)

Yawn, well I had forgotten you. Have better things to do with my time than argue with people on the internet. Not really interested in your views frankly. it was interesting for a while, now its just boring.

Im done on this subject. Please feel free to continue though. Just don't expect a reply.

Edited by TheStagMan

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Wait wait wait, people are defending the Trump sieg heiling? Is anything universally off limits anymore?

Some examples.

It's split into a few categories.

Some justified it. 

Some deflected it to the left:

Some just attacked the original tweeter:

Obviously that's only a small sample across 2 tweets but go on any tweet about it and you have these idiots tweeting anything across those 3 categories.

Then we have the man himself, justifying them.

And right wing commentators like Ann Coulter (who said that only people with at least American grandparents should be allowed to vote normalises it with this:

I'll repeat. What a **** mess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheStagMan said:

Yawn, well I had forgotten you. Have better things to do with my time than argue with people on the internet. Not really interested in your views frankly. it was interesting for a while, now its just boring.

Im done on this subject. Please feel free to continue though. Just don't expect a reply.

Obviously interested enough to reply.

I'm more than happy that you did because it means you read my post and were able to see your hypocrisy in action :)

Not really interested in your views frankly. it was interesting for a while, now its just boring.

"I've been proven wrong and I don't have a comeback."

Â