U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 minute ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

People trying to get their mates jobs in high office,  whatever next ? We will get some sort of house of Lords made up mostly of people who have no right to be there and land it by who you know,  not what you know.  Now that would be a nightmare...

That was one point of nine. Probably the least concerning point (behind getting the country's name wrong)

Also, can we please stop with the deflection and the 'well other people do it'. It just normalises Trump's ridiculous behaviour. 

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

That was one point of nine. Probably the least concerning point (behind getting the country's name wrong)

Also, can we please stop with the deflection and the 'well other people do it'. It just normalises Trump's ridiculous behaviour. 

Indeed. Letting the leaders/heads of countries appoint who other countries should have as their diplomats/ambassadors etc for that country is really not a good idea.

Another funny one coming in:

Gigi Hadid makes fun of Melania Trump's blatant plagarism of Michelle Obama's speech, and uses an accent while doing so. The right goes absolutely crazy.

They're only the bastions and free speech and against political correctness when it's their their views isn't it? 

25 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Another funny one coming in:

Gigi Hadid makes fun of Melania Trump's blatant plagarism of Michelle Obama's speech, and uses an accent while doing so. The right goes absolutely crazy.

They're only the bastions and free speech and against political correctness when it's their their views isn't it? 

All of the right? I'd say some of the right. That's like saying all of the left are bitter, SJW white hating loonies. It's just simply not true is it? Its only a very small proportion. 

There is extremes on both sides, both of which would be better off neutralised. 

The worst thing about the Hadid sketch for me, was the fact it was unfunny! :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

All of the right? I'd say some of the right. That's like saying all of the left are bitter, SJW white hating loonies. It's just simply not true is it? Its only a very small proportion. 

There is extremes on both sides, both of which would be better off neutralised. 

The worst thing about the Hadid sketch for me, was the fact it was unfunny! :)

I'm being deliberately disingenuous. The left, as a blanket term, are being blamed for a lack of political discourse.

And it isn't extremists who are" fed up of PC culture". We're told it's normal every day people that are fed up not being able to say what they want to say.

Edited by StefanAVFC

54 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

People trying to get their mates jobs in high office,  whatever next ? We will get some sort of house of Lords made up mostly of people who have no right to be there and land it by who you know,  not what you know.  Now that would be a nightmare...

We could always abolish it . . .

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

How do these people still exist?

They go into hiding until someone is elected who, whether directly or indirectly, gives them the courage to now air these views.

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Trump's election has completely legitimized them. They even say as much. From fringe nutjobs to pretty much mainstream in the space of a year. Incredible.

Other side of the coin is that those who helped create and nurture an environment where these people are now the majority and can now mobilise to destroy any election or referendum are as guilty as anyone.  What did people think,  they were just going to sit there and take it for another 30 or 40 years ? 

Take what?

Being told that their abhorrent views are abhorrent? I hate this rhetoric that has come from the election that these people have come out of the woodwork now because they weren't pandered to and told their views are okay.

The truth is a mainstream candidate came about who was openly talking about certain things (I'm not going to label him as anything) and it legimitised their views in their minds. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Other side of the coin is that those who helped create and nurture an environment where these people are now the majority and can now mobilise to destroy any election or referendum are as guilty as anyone.  What did people think,  they were just going to sit there and take it for another 30 or 40 years ? 

Are they, though? I know what you mean, but a level of accuracy is important here, if nothing else than for the sake of my own faith in humanity. 

Trump may have won the election, but his so-called 'silent' majority is in fact a (vociferous) minority in every way. 

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Like Stefan, I can't understand what these people specifically were 'taking' that was so unreasonable. We're not talking about run of the mill Trump voters here, we're specifically talking about neo-Nazis. 

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm taking the ignoring of the rest of my post as your agreement then?

The bit where you linked to the crappy blog of some random bloke and then gave your commentary on it? Honestly, it just wasn't very interesting & musicals aren't really my thing.

What about Trump pulling out of  TTP and the implications for TTIP? Do you see that as good or bad for the US alliance system in the Pacific and/or the UK/EU in trade terms? 

• Like 1

Â