U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

I meant that she would start out as a very unpopular president. Which she would.

Against a Repeblican Congress and Senate she'd have no chance, they'd probably spend four years trying to get her behind bars - the FBI investigation into the Clinton Foundation is ongoing and unlikely to end well, at least for her. 

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm seeing this rolling count of how many more votes she got in quite a few places. It's becoming one of those half arsed twitter things to persuade people she's been cheated.

It's irrelevant (I know you know that). They didn't change the system after people had campaigned or voted, it was the well established and accepted system. If her team didn't target the correct polling, didn't concentrate on the correct states and get the right number of electoral college votes to stack up on the blue side, they need a long hard look at what they paid out for advice from that team.

We need to keep in mind that what I 'think' many people are actually after is a time machine and two better candidates, not a recount leading to a crooked Hilary TTIP and black ops presidency.

Yeah I wasn't saying anything like that. Was simply a response to "she'd be very unpopular too". Was slightly tongue in cheek also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm seeing this rolling count of how many more votes she got in quite a few places. It's becoming one of those half arsed twitter things to persuade people she's been cheated.

It's irrelevant (I know you know that). They didn't change the system after people had campaigned or voted, it was the well established and accepted system. If her team didn't target the correct polling, didn't concentrate on the correct states and get the right number of electoral college votes to stack up on the blue side, they need a long hard look at what they paid out for advice from that team.

We need to keep in mind that what I 'think' many people are actually after is a time machine and two better candidates, not a recount leading to a crooked Hilary TTIP and black ops presidency.

The issue of whether the system is shit (for which this election does provide some evidence) can obviously be separated from the result of the election, in terms of who won. 

In two of the last five elections, the person who got more votes lost. That's a system that is going to run into legitimacy problems, sooner or later. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, she was the second most unpopular presidential candidate in history, going by approval ratings. The only one with worse ratings? Trump. 

I know, I'm not disputing that but you'd still be replacing one massively unpopular candidate with another.

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Well said. Anti-Trump voters needed to take a longer look at Brexit.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Well said. Anti-Trump voters needed to take a longer look at Brexit.

Trump was even quoting it, in fairness to the guy he was warning them an upset against their received wisdom was on the cards and had fresh precedent.

But no, let's play mannequins on a plane 'cos we're coasting to victory.

47 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Trump was even quoting it, in fairness to the guy he was warning them an upset against their received wisdom was on the cards and had fresh precedent.

But no, let's play mannequins on a plane 'cos we're coasting to victory.

I think you're falling into a trap of assuming that British politics and American politics are more similar than they are. 

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think you're falling into a trap of assuming that British politics and American politics are more similar than they are. 

You are missing the point, it's not the politics that are similar it's the feeling of alienation, the poverty and the sense of being forgotten/ignored that are similar.

The political systems are very different but what's driving voter behaviour is very similar.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You are missing the point, it's not the politics that are similar it's the feeling of alienation, the poverty and the sense of being forgotten/ignored that are similar.

The political systems are very different but what's driving voter behaviour is very similar.

I'm certainly going to push back on 'poverty' - Clinton appears to have won the third of the electorate on incomes less than $50,000 by a large margin - but you might well be right on the alienation point. I guess I feel like 'Trump=Brexit' is a very easy 'hot take' that seems to me to be likely to lead people astray in the future. But there probably is more to the 'pissed off white guy' connection than I gave credit to. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

President Trump, Nigel Farage, David Cameron and failed candidate Hilary Clinton say hi! 

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm certainly going to push back on 'poverty' - Clinton appears to have won the third of the electorate on incomes less than $50,000 by a large margin - but you might well be right on the alienation point. I guess I feel like 'Trump=Brexit' is a very easy 'hot take' that seems to me to be likely to lead people astray in the future. But there probably is more to the 'pissed off white guy' connection than I gave credit to. 

I'd be interested to see where you got the stat about Hilary only getting half as many poor people to vote for her as Trump managed. But I would say that if twice as many 'poor' did vote for Trump that would appear on first look like TV's point was valid?

The alienation and resentment, particularly about perceived favoritism toward non-whites, play a huge role.  This piece by Paul Krugman in the New York Times is interesting and shows the challenges in winning back voters whose economy-inspired votes aren't placed based on any rational analysis of which candidate's policies is more likely to improve their lot.  It doesn't help that Trump lied about the source of their economic problems and they believed him and his boasts about bringing coal and manufacturing jobs back.

32 minutes ago, Chindie said:

When you're privileged, equality feels like oppression.

First thing that came to mind.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the median income of Trump supporters was $70,000 which is pretty much the definition of middle class. I think the whole 'poor and alienated' stuff is blown way out of proportion. 

Edit: Found it, it's $72,000 which is a good 10k above the national median.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/us-election/the-average-trump-supporter-is-not-an-economic-loser/article32746323/comments/

Edited by Keyblade

Â