U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

So I'm flying out to Minneapolis on Thursday and driving to Standing Rock from there. The ND governor said today that they are blocking commercial vehicle shipments of food and supplies. We'll see if that extends to private vehicles. I've been asked to bring food, basic medical supplies and hatchets. I'm bringing hatchets to the Sioux in a standoff against the government. Sounds about right. 

Serious? You f****** legend. 

I smell a VT challenge: let's get everyone retweeting your photos, youtubing your periscope broadcasts, cross posting to other forums and trying to get them to do the same. Narrate a few little segments if you can explaining what's happening. The more social media savvy on here will have other and better ideas about sharing and spreading content I'm sure.

The really smart ones (@limpid) might also have a few ideas about how to get online if the authorities start restricting access. 

Also think about take a few cans of black spray paint. If people get up close with the police then it's a nonviolent way to screw up people with visors on and doesn't come off easily - hard to swing a baton when you can't see.

Edit: ... under what legal authority can a State Governor decide to starve a part of the population, I thought this stuff went out with Indian wars??! It's a serious question and would be worth researching the constitutionality of this. 

Also I'd strongly recommend you don't transport hatchets or anything else that could be interpreted as a weapon. If you run into a vehicle checkpoint in a car full of axes the police will not react well.

Can I just add again my massive respect for doing this, I hope everyone here will do what they can to support you. 

Edited by Awol
To add the obvious question
  • Like 2

They'd have to search my car and have a legal reason to. Also, you can buy them at hardware stores, so it's a non issue. They haven't asked for spray paint,  so I'm not going to bring any. I'm bringing ski goggles and a respirator though, so I won't be too easy to scatter away if things combust. 

As far as a social media thing, I'm showing up to this late in the game; there are people who have been there for months, so I don't want to spend much time tweeting and posting, etc. The world media is already there. I'll keep VT updated though!

38 minutes ago, Awol said:

I thought this stuff went out with Indian wars??!

This is just a continuum of 400 years of aggression and neglect. For me, after Trump got elected, the movement at Standing Rock seems like Ground Zero in the fight for good in this country. I hope I can get there in time to contribute. I have friends here collecting all the camping gear I need, cuz I'm not really an outdoorsman, lol. The thought of putting up a tent in a huge crowd of campers is just as intimidating as squaring up to a phalanx of riot police!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Awol said:

under what legal authority can a State Governor decide to starve a part of the population, I thought this stuff went out with Indian wars??! It's a serious question and would be worth researching the constitutionality of this. 

The "Law of the Land" isn't worth a **** thing, as the Indians know more than anyone. Or maybe not as much as the people who write them. There is serious money invested in this project, and if they don't clear the area by Jan 1, the contract expires, and the whole thing goes belly up. So even though the area is sovereign land, they all thought they could get away with it like they always do. The original plans had the pipeline going through Bismarck, a small city that is majority white, but the residents kicked up dust about it, so the oil company changed the route to not only run through Sioux territory, but under the **** river that is their only water source. The area has spiritual and cultural significance to them as well. The entire thing is just another travesty among many. 

edit: there are lawyers who have been working on behalf of the tribe, and hopefully the illegality of police/Army action is dealt with accordingly under the law, but like I said, the law is extremely malleable when so much money is at stake.

You can also be assured that all Native American tribes are watching this very closely. The government doesn't want this to set a precedent, if the movement is successful. 

Edited by maqroll

The digital age has changed things dramatically though. People have rallied around this cause because it got spread around the world independent of CNN, BBC and Reuters, etc. Without social media, they would already have completed the work in that area and moved on. Now they are under a degree of scrutiny they hadn't planned on.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

The digital age has changed things dramatically though. People have rallied around this cause because it got spread around the world independent of CNN, BBC and Reuters, etc. Without social media, they would already have completed the work in that area and moved on. Now they are under a degree of scrutiny they hadn't planned on.

My wife and I would like to contribute but it's hard to know what exactly would help and where it is kosher to donate. We have another friend who is heading out there. Please let us know if there's anything you need once you get there and we will do our best to get it to you. We've been asked for gloves, blankets, sleeping bags and propane tanks.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

My wife and I would like to contribute but it's hard to know what exactly would help and where it is kosher to donate. We have another friend who is heading out there. Please let us know if there's anything you need once you get there and we will do our best to get it to you. We've been asked for gloves, blankets, sleeping bags and propane tanks.

There are three camps, and this is the largest- http://www.ocetisakowincamp.org/holding-truths

Sacred Stone camp also has a website. 

I'm only staying 5 nights, but I'll let you know if there is anything needed that you can send that way.  :thumb:

• Like 2

Offered daily intelligence briefings, Trump takes a pass

Shortly after the election, President Obama approved daily intelligence briefings for Donald Trump and Mike Pence. It was obviously the responsible thing to do: the Republican ticket will soon be sworn into office, and Obama wants them to be up to speed so they’re prepared the moment they’re in positions of responsibility.

Rachel Maddow reports that NBC News has confirmed that Donald Trump has only had two intelligence briefs since the election...

... Rachel noted on the show the other day, there’s a problem: Trump apparently doesn’t want the information.

MSNBC

15 hours ago, maqroll said:

So I'm flying out to Minneapolis on Thursday and driving to Standing Rock from there. The ND governor said today that they are blocking commercial vehicle shipments of food and supplies. We'll see if that extends to private vehicles. I've been asked to bring food, basic medical supplies and hatchets. I'm bringing hatchets to the Sioux in a standoff against the government. Sounds about right. 

Bravo Sir... stay safe!

I would highly recommend the "History of Fire" podcast series about Crazy Horse. It's about 6 hrs in total over 3 episodes and will provide excellent background on the relevance of this area to native culture and the long term mendacity and outright evilness of the US government.

http://historyonfirepodcast.com/episodes/2016/5/1/episode-7-crazy-horse-part-1  

http://historyonfirepodcast.com/episodes/2016/5/18/episode-8-crazy-horse-part-2

http://historyonfirepodcast.com/episodes/2016/6/13/episode-9-crazy-horse-part-3

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I think it was the word 'intelligence' that scared him off. 

"I already have intelligence, it's the biggest, best intelligence, believe me. I know more about ISIS than the generals...and I love our veterans, they're tremendous people, beautiful people...and what's happening to our veterans, who I love, is a total disgrace. "

• Like 3

On Wednesday, conservative website Breitbart waged all-out war against Kellogg’s after the brand pulled its advertising from the so-called “alt-right” platform in an effort to “ensure our ads do not appear on sites that aren’t aligned with our values as set forth in our advertising guidelines.”

In response, Breitbart—whose executive chairman Steve Bannon took a leave of absence to become Donald Trump’s campaign manager and future chief White House strategist—demanded readers boycott Kellogg’s, calling the brand’s decision “unAmerican.”

“Kellogg’s decision to blacklist one of the largest conservative media outlets in America is economic censorship of mainstream conservative political discourse,” Breitbart said in a statement. “That is as un-American as it gets.”

Referencing these reports, Twitter user @JoyAnnReid asked why Kellogg’s was advertising on Breitbart in the first place.

“They thought they were selling ‘Race Krispies,’” @drskyskull replied.

And thus, #BreitbartCereals was born. Check out some of the best suggestions below:

dmECEba.png

Raw Stories

The Obama administration has halted construction of the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline amid growing protests that were expected to draw some 2,000 U.S. military veterans.

The Army announced Sunday that it has denied the final easement required for the $3.8 billion project to cross under Lake Oahe in North Dakota. Instead, it will conduct an Environmental Impact Statement to examine the impacts and explore alternative routes, it said. 

“Although we have had continuing discussion and exchanges of new information with Standing Rock Sioux and Dakota Access, it’s clear that there’s more work to do,” Jo-Ellen Darcy, the Army’s assistant secretary for civil works, said in a statement. “The best way to complete that work responsibly and expeditiously is to explore alternative routes for the pipeline crossing.”

Huffington Post

Go maqroll!

We wait to see what happens when Arsewipe gets into the Oval Office?

• Like 1

Â