U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

"My touch, my feel, that's what I do."

:suspect:

He’s gonna grab Kim Jong-un by the p***y isn’t he? 

• Haha 3

The was an interesting Twitter thread the other day that claimed to understand Trump and his approach to 'deals'. I can't find the thread now, but basically it posited that Trump views everything in terms of winners and losers, and he believes this to the extent that only he can win in anything, or he loses. This means as a negotiator, he's useless. He doesn't believe in win win deals, he assumes that any deal your opponent agrees to is one they are getting one over you on, that any terms offered to him are ripping him off, and anything that benefits the other is a loss.

Basically it suggests he deals like a conman.

I'm not sure it's quite this black and white, but I think there's something to it. So far his actions on negotiations and discussions seems to have had a habit of him setting his position and rejecting everything. And also may explain why he views every deal the US holds as a bad one (probably in concert with the fact he clearly despises Obama and wants to rip up everything with his name on).

All in all, he's just a complete word removed, of course 

• Like 4

Breaking news banner on the Beeb popped up - 'The G7 summit ends in disarray after US President Donald Trump retracts his endorsement of a joint final statement.'

Well damn, I don't know. I'm not an economist, perhaps there is a chance this could help some of the industries that he believes he is protecting.

It does seem crazy to treat your neighbours and allies with such contempt. To openly accuse on of your closest allies of lying is extraordinary. 

Trump may think that he is being the big apprentice boss man again, but one day he may want something from his allies.

I wonder how getting Mexico to pay for that wall is going?

As a JLR employee it’s a worrying statement about “automobiles”.

Brexit is gonna **** us, and then if we’re taxed heavily in the US it’ll screw that market up too. 

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Very good twitter thread about what Trumpism is and why it's pointless trying to argue policy.

You could replace Trump with Corbyn in that tweet tbf 

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Almost the opposite is truer I'd say  - people will live with the slightly dishevelled, not quite slick Corbyn politician in order to support the policies.

The last month of Trump has been very interesting - corporate America moving from a 'we'll make some rules, and those of us in the club will all make money' attitude of the last thirty years to a new 'the big lion eats first and the rest of you will have what you're given' approach. The US no longer wishes to share anything with its dependents.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Almost the opposite is truer I'd say  - people will live with the slightly dishevelled, not quite slick Corbyn politician in order to support the policies.

The language has changed - "any foreign leader"  - under Trump there's now no difference to the US between economic Canada and economic Nigeria - the US is pulling the leash and moving us to a model of global trade that serves America and that the rest of the world lives with or suffers. There's a huge aggression in the language used in piece and by Trump; it's all couched in "try it, I dare you" this isn't coercion, and it isn't alliance - it's an economic fascism driven by people like the Koch brothers, the US banking system and anyone that can put money in Republican pockets. No wonder his party support him, I bet right now they're being bombarded with offers of cash from US companies lining up to be next in line for the benefits of Trump's global trade controls.

The problem is it doesn't work. Trade is a 2 way street. Manipulating it is a careful balance, and Trump's sledgehammer approach will backfire. America can't live in a vacuum. It's trade partners won't roll over and accept whatever he wants. They'll find alternatives, or reciprocate his petulance. Which will hurt Americans as much as he aims to hurt his trade partners. It's happening already.

He's a moron. He doesn't understand the way negotiation and deal making works. As said above, he sees things only in winners and losers, and that isn't how the world really works.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

under Trump there's now no difference to the US between economic Canada and economic Nigeria - the US is pulling the leash and moving us to a model of global trade that serves America and that the rest of the world lives with or suffers.

The first part yes, the second part definitely no. By this I mean I can see that the US (Trump) is treating everyone (except Russia, N. Korea) the same - just as an economic entity. But it's absolutely not "serving America" it's doing the very opposite of that. A trade war, tariffs on EU steel - these things are bad for the US and the people who live there. Spiting your friends, breaking your promises - bad for the US. They become seen as untrustworthy (or more untrustworthy) and they will have no allies next time they want to take action on something. Ditching Pacific trade treaties, Climate change agreements, NAFTA, NATO etc. all leave the US far worse off. As Chindie implies he's just a massive throbber (I paraphrase).

Â