U.S. Politics

maqroll

40 minutes ago, Straggler said:

I don't watch any right wing media, I do however recall what he promised and what he has actually achieved.  I've never said he has done nothing, but in comparison to the size of the promise he has managed very little and what he has achieved has been so compromised that it has very little actual impact.  The main promises that seemed to impact the lives of normal people were to my mind:

1. Raise the minimum wage to $15

2. Forgive student debt

3. Codify Roe v Wade

All 3 he has failed completely on.  According to the the linked promise tracker (below) he is tracking at about 27% promises kept.  That is a failure any way you cut it.

Biden promise tracker

And why has he failed so much or had to compromise so heavily?  Just take a look at Joe Manchin and how he has ripped the heart out Biden's agenda.  Has Manchin faced any sanction, or any pressure?  Nope, he just keeps voting with the GOP and Biden holds up his hand and says there is nothing he can do.  I want Biden to win more than most, but his failure is not a right wing talking point, it is a matter of fact.

I can’t argue with the first part of your comment except for Student Debt, he’s done loads of forgiveness already and another £5 billion for 80,000 students was announced on Wednesday so you can’t say he completely failed, far from it, in fact quite successful with that.  Maybe he hasn’t completed a lot of the promises and 27% sounds low but an additional 34% is in the works according to that site. 31% of the remaining has stalled but yes the political divide has been a problem.

I’m intrigued how Manchin could be sanctioned? He can vote how ever he likes unfortunately.  The fact that aside from him and Sinema the rest of the Democrat in house, senate and White House have been aligned.  So without control of the House and many of the votes in the Senate requiring 60 votes and Republicans never voting for the policies Democrat and Biden wants it’s amazing they’ve got so much through imo.  So maybe not got all his agenda through but has got many other significant things through as I described in my previous post. I can’t see how he can be called a failure but I guess it’s all about opinions.

Edited by nick76

3 hours ago, Straggler said:

I don't watch any right wing media, I do however recall what he promised and what he has actually achieved.  I've never said he has done nothing, but in comparison to the size of the promise he has managed very little and what he has achieved has been so compromised that it has very little actual impact.  The main promises that seemed to impact the lives of normal people were to my mind:

1. Raise the minimum wage to $15

2. Forgive student debt

3. Codify Roe v Wade

All 3 he has failed completely on.  According to the the linked promise tracker (below) he is tracking at about 27% promises kept.  That is a failure any way you cut it.

Biden promise tracker

And why has he failed so much or had to compromise so heavily?  Just take a look at Joe Manchin and how he has ripped the heart out Biden's agenda.  Has Manchin faced any sanction, or any pressure?  Nope, he just keeps voting with the GOP and Biden holds up his hand and says there is nothing he can do.  I want Biden to win more than most, but his failure is not a right wing talking point, it is a matter of fact.

And you think people are going to abandon him and move to Trump because he’s been unable to get those things through a bitterly divided Congress?   People who would consider voting for Trump wouldn’t do so because they think he’ll raise the minimum wage, erase student loan debt or codify Roe v. Wade.  Any who switch from Biden in 2020 to Trump in 2024 will be doing it because of a combination of inflation, immigration and Republicans’ success in pushing their various taking points about Biden and his administration.

• Like 2

It's wild that Trump could actually win again.

I have to say, life is a lot more boring without him, it's crazy when you're reminded of some of the mad shit him and his team got up that that be a running scandal and/or joke for any other politician for months, but there was always another one from Trump the next day.

Imagine the writers' room of a political satire show. "So he thinks he's booking a hotel for a press conference, but they're booked up, and it's already announced, so he has to hold the press conference from outside a landscaping business, next door to a sex shop". There's no way anyone would buy it, and that's barely in the top 50 of mad shit that happened under Trump.

I still think that Trump running for presidency is a bargaining chip for when he gets in major trouble with his court cases. 

I wonder if he will do a (secret) deal where he agrees to give up on politics in return for staying a free man.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I still think that Trump running for presidency is a bargaining chip for when he gets in major trouble with his court cases. 

I wonder if he will do a (secret) deal where he agrees to give up on politics in return for staying a free man.

That really isn’t something the FBI can offer as a deal

23 minutes ago, Straggler said:

It's the exact deal they offered Spiro Agnew during Watergate to prevent him from becoming President after Nixon. 

Really? I thought they had to keep out of directly influencing democracy

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

Really? I thought they had to keep out of directly influencing democracy

Yep, it is a fascinating story, and you have it right, that technically they should not be cutting a deal like this, but they did it anyway effectively to save the USA.

It is a story really well told here:

Bagman

In 1973, in the throes of the Watergate scandal, three young federal prosecutors uncovered a separate criminal scheme being run inside the White House — the sitting vice president, Spiro Agnew, was taking envelopes stuffed with cash in exchange for official acts as an elected official. If Nixon left office, Agnew would be the next President. And so, what would happen if the President was charged with a federal crime? Worse yet, what if he was convicted?

There is a bit of Watergate precedence being used by Jack Smith at the moment, with the Supreme Court being asked to look urgently at Trumps claim of "Presidential Immunity".  There are so many echoes of Watergate at the moment, it is well worth having a listen.  Although Agnew wasn't a part of Watergate, he was just doing other criminal things at the same time.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

How? Im.not a trump fan but i didnt see putin step out of line in trumps era as leader

Eh, where to start. Trump sided with Outin over his own intelligence services at one point. He was a Russian asset, 100%.

Right now Trump republicans are trying to block aid to Ukraine.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Eh, where to start. Trump sided with Outin over his own intelligence services at one point. He was a Russian asset, 100%.

Right now Trump republicans are trying to block aid to Ukraine.

But the point remains no invasion happened while trump was in charge.

There seemed to be a better relationship between trump and putin than biden and putin where relationships are at a complete all time low.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But the point remains no invasion happened while trump was in charge.

There seemed to be a better relationship between trump and putin than biden and putin where relationships are at a complete all time low.

Trump was Putin's little bitch. Trump was terrified of him and did what he was told. I'm not sure that counts as a good relationship. Biden treats Putin like the enemy of the USA and NATO that he is, which unsurprisingly means a more hostile relationship. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Trump was Putin's little bitch. Trump was terrified of him and did what he was told. I'm not sure that counts as a good relationship. Biden treats Putin like the enemy of the USA and NATO that he is, which unsurprisingly means a more hostile relationship. 

Listen i am not a trump fan at all , but this is simply not true. If trump was terrified of putin he would have invaded sooner.

If anything its biden that looks terrified of putin and is putins bitch. Trump doesn't seem scared of anyone.

Unless you want world world 3 and the destruction of us all then seeing putin as a enemy is not the way to go. Dialogue and improving relations is the way to keep us all here. Otherwise your heading for a nuke war and the castrophic end of us all.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The idea that trump kept Putin in line is madness. 

Putin didn't invade when Theressa May was PM so do we praise her for it?

Any American who votes for Trump is voting for the end of democracy. 

Are you seriously comparing our influence as much as the us?

Â