U.S. Politics

maqroll

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

They had an attempted coup that was backed by the sitting president, a president withheld military aid to Ukraine as he wanted an investigation into a political rival. Marjorie Taylor Green, Lauren Boebert, Matt Gaetz, Ron DeSantis, the overturning of Roe vs Wade, Moms for Liberty. Thats just off the top of my head. We may have corruption and ineptitude here but I would take ours every single day versus the US. 

What's even crazier is that the polling suggests Trump has a decent chance of winning the election when it happens. The guy is literally standing to be the last democratically elected president of the USA. For the race to be close with everything we know about Trump demonstrates just how broken America is right now. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

What's even crazier is that the polling suggests Trump has a decent chance of winning the election when it happens. The guy is literally standing to be the last democratically elected president of the USA. For the race to be close with everything we know about Trump demonstrates just how broken America is right now. 

It's absolutely astonishing isn't it. How can right thinking people possibly think of voting for him? It's like living in some purge like parallel universe. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's absolutely astonishing isn't it. How can right thinking people possibly think of voting for him? It's like living in some purge like parallel universe. 

That my friend falls on joe biden. If he was nt such  collosal failure people wouldnt even be tempted to vote trump.

They really need to get rid of him asap. If michelle obama takes iver i think they will win election easy

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

They had an attempted coup that was backed by the sitting president, a president withheld military aid to Ukraine as he wanted an investigation into a political rival. Marjorie Taylor Green, Lauren Boebert, Matt Gaetz, Ron DeSantis, the overturning of Roe vs Wade, Moms for Liberty. Thats just off the top of my head. We may have corruption and ineptitude here but I would take ours every single day versus the US. 

Yeah i agree with that. Its just rotten to the core that we have two terrible main parties and so do the US. Neither country has a strong government 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That my friend falls on joe biden. If he was nt such  collosal failure people wouldnt even be tempted to vote trump.

They really need to get rid of him asap. If michelle obama takes iver i think they will win election easy

Yeah i agree with that. Its just rotten to the core that we have two terrible main parties and so do the US. Neither country has a strong government 

What are Biden's colossal failures?  His administration has been fairly boringly competent from what I can tell.  I can't see him hemorrhaging votes to Trump.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

What are Biden's colossal failures?  His administration has been fairly boringly competent from what I can tell.  I can't see him hemorrhaging votes to Trump.

The drugs from china, coming into the country is out of control 

The economy is tanking

Making the states look scared of russia

His withdrawal of Afghanistan 

Thats just a few at top of my head

On 01/12/2023 at 13:29, il_serpente said:

He's been accused by a fellow Republican congressman of stealing his and his mother's credit card info and chaging contributions to Santos' campaign that exceed legal contribution limits.   Apparently, there's evidence of same happening to a lot of people.  They guy's an absolute nutter.  You read about statements from Santos' office and have to wonder how the hell he convinces anyone to work for him.

And yet 112 Republican congressional reps voted against expulsion. A damning indictment of the current GOP's putridness. 

33 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Just the one though I'm sure he would try and change the constitution like Putin to stay on.

At least that’s something, knowing he can only do a maximum of 4 years worth of damage might be a blessing. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The economy is not tanking. "Making the states look scared of Russia" is a ridiculous assertion, sorry buddy. Drugs from China "out of control"? I'm actually not very informed on that, could you link an article about it? I doubt "drugs from China" will be an issue that hurts Biden much.

Afghanistan was a monumental American failure, instigated originally by Republicans, and the withdrawal was triggered by Trump as part of his peace deal with the Taliban.

I'm afraid you're falling for GOP-Fox News false narratives. They are very good at shrouding the truth with bullshit and lies.

Have you been watching the debates? All them are talking about is the fentanyl coming from china to mexico then into the states via the cartels uts been a massive issue over the last few years.

Ive never watched fox news in my life mate

Economy jack manley  jp morgan analyst on the economy has said the US is on verge of a recession. Yes there has been some growth in last quarter but not out yhe woods yet.

Your blaming trump from the withdrawal process? Yes he ordered it but Bidens administration  orchestrated  it. Biden was PM at the time too. I mean come on you dont hold biden accountable for anything?

If biden was doing such a terrific job as you seem to be alluding to, the race wouldnt even be close with trump as we know how bad trump is !

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Exactly. The IRA is also doing a lot to tilt manufacturing back to USA from China (and elsewhere) 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Have you been watching the debates? All them are talking about is the fentanyl coming from china to mexico then into the states via the cartels uts been a massive issue over the last few years.

Economy jack manley  jp morgan analyst on the economy has said the US is on verge of a recession. Yes there has been some growth in last quarter but not out yhe woods yet.

Your blaming trump from the withdrawal process? Yes he ordered it but Bidens administration  orchestrated  it. Biden was PM at the time too. I mean come on you dont hold biden accountable for anything?

If biden was doing such a terrific job as you seem to be alluding to, the race wouldnt even be close with trump as we know how bad trump is !

I didn't say anything about the job Biden is doing. 

If you're relying on Republican candidate debates for accurate information,  you're doing yourself a great disservice. 

I've got many issues with Biden. It's just that most of them aren't GOP gripes. 

The Afgan withdrawal fiasco was inevitable, and Trump set it in motion. Biden was in a bind on it. 

The US economy is booming at the moment 

Gross domestic product in the United States grew at a remarkable 5.2% in the third quarter, ahead of China, long the engine of global growth.

“The US has really outperformed relative to other countries for the past year,” Innes McFee, chief global economist for Oxford Economics, told CNN.

The United States has powered ahead of the European Union, the United Kingdom, Japan, Canada and other advanced economies this year.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/12/07/economy/us-economy-china-europe/index.html

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The Republican debates are basically a Trump buttkissing exercise in a race to come second to the orange Jesus. Chris Christie is the only one not using the debates as an audition to be VP, so the talking points there are totally untethered from reality as Trump would demand. 

The reason Biden is failing is partly his age and obvious decline, but it is mostly because he has failed to deliver against almost all of the agenda he promised in the last election. All he has competently delivered is for his donors, not for the electorate. He has maintained a status quo that the majority are not happy with. 

He is a hard man to vote for because, despite not being awful, he has failed and who wants to vote for more of that? He is still light years better than Trump though 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Unfortunately, perception is everything.   Unprecedented job creation and low unemployment along with strong strong growth unquestionably mean the economy is doing great.  But inflation got really high, largely as an after-effect of the supply chain issues and spike in demand coming out of COVID, and people notice they’re getting significantly less for their money.  If they aren’t someone who directly benefitted from the job creation and growth, those things don’t impact their lives but inflation does.  Inflation is back down, but that doesn’t mean prices  come down, just that they don’t increase as quickly.  The damage is done in people’s minds, and presidents always get blame or credit for the state (or perceived stated) of the economy regardless of whether their policies and actions actually influence it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Straggler said:

but it is mostly because he has failed to deliver against almost all of the agenda he promised in the last election. All he has competently delivered is for his donors, not for the electorate.

Don’t get this narrative!

He’s got passed $1 trillion dollar Infrastructure Bill which the electorate needed and Republicans who voted against it are dining off money used in their states.

He’s got the biggest gun safety bill in 30 years…obviously not what everybody wants and far from enough but to get anything through on guns is a miracle.

The CHIPS and Science Act brought a lot of manufacturing back to US especially semi conductors.

I can keep going to the Inflation Reduction Act including limit of prescription drug costs for annual limits and lowering insulin costs…and there is more.  I think in such a divided political environment he’s done loads.  I mean Trump talked about Infrastructure Week and even had all control of all the branches of government for part of his tenure but still didn’t pass it.

Biden has many issues re his age and declining mental state but his record for the electorate is pretty impressive.  I think seeing it written down on paper shows how much he’s done whereas right wing media try to distract from it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Don’t get this narrative!

He’s got passed $1 trillion dollar Infrastructure Bill which the electorate needed and Republicans who voted against it are dining off money used in their states.

He’s got the biggest gun safety bill in 30 years…obviously not what everybody wants and far from enough but to get anything through on guns is a miracle.

The CHIPS and Science Act brought a lot of manufacturing back to US especially semi conductors.

I can keep going to the Inflation Reduction Act including limit of prescription drug costs for annual limits and lowering insulin costs…and there is more.  I think in such a divided political environment he’s done loads.  I mean Trump talked about Infrastructure Week and even had all control of all the branches of government for part of his tenure but still didn’t pass it.

Biden has many issues re his age and declining mental state but his record for the electorate is pretty impressive.  I think seeing it written down on paper shows how much he’s done whereas right wing media try to distract from it.

I don't watch any right wing media, I do however recall what he promised and what he has actually achieved.  I've never said he has done nothing, but in comparison to the size of the promise he has managed very little and what he has achieved has been so compromised that it has very little actual impact.  The main promises that seemed to impact the lives of normal people were to my mind:

1. Raise the minimum wage to $15

2. Forgive student debt

3. Codify Roe v Wade

All 3 he has failed completely on.  According to the the linked promise tracker (below) he is tracking at about 27% promises kept.  That is a failure any way you cut it.

Biden promise tracker

The Biden Promise Tracker monitors the 99 most important campaign promises of President Joseph R. Biden, elected in November 2020. Biden said his top priorities were fighting the coronavirus, improving the economy, responding to calls for racial justice and combating climate change. For each campaign promise, our reporters research the issue and then rate it based on whether the promise was achieved: Promise Kept, Promise Broken, Compromise, Stalled, In the Works or Not Yet Rated. We rate the promise not on the president's intentions or effort, but on verifiable outcomes.

And why has he failed so much or had to compromise so heavily?  Just take a look at Joe Manchin and how he has ripped the heart out Biden's agenda.  Has Manchin faced any sanction, or any pressure?  Nope, he just keeps voting with the GOP and Biden holds up his hand and says there is nothing he can do.  I want Biden to win more than most, but his failure is not a right wing talking point, it is a matter of fact.

Â