U.S. Politics

maqroll

It's surely as hard as ever being a centrist. Or as they say in the US "swing voter". 

So many topics have nuance and different sides to it that can't be discussed, you've to be 100% on one side or another. 

I think both Dems and Rep have been taken over by the extreme fringes and it is those fringes driving now. 

Someone smart needs to come along and take the middle ground - it will need to be a Dem most likely. If that kind of person who has an extreme right opponent to face should get the "anybody but him" contingent like what got rid of Trump and then try get things back to a centre left.

Starmer is our equivalent here.

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

But what is the 'extreme' that you're talking about here for the Democrats? I guess you might mention about 3/4 of just some of the more outspoken members of the party who have been painted a certain way in the right-wing media because the right-wing media here there and everywhere love an enemy to rally around, whether there's rationale for it or not (and of course in cases there can be things people object to). But the actual Democrats as a whole though—what is it?

Compare that to MAGA and Trump, who was the actual president. I don't think it's an even situation at all—I don't agree that they've 'both been taken over by the extreme fringes'. The Republicans are losing their perspective on reality. They're winding themselves up with their own demagoguery. It's eating them alive. It's not unfair to say the same thing happened in other countries in Europe a hundred years ago too—the right going nuts, but this time there's even less reason for them to do so. We're not about to have an actual communist revolution anywhere anytime soon, as was a genuine possibility a hundred years ago—the actual thing they seem to be upset about is democracy itself, and if that's not a sign that it's the right who have lost their shit and shifted to an extreme position, I don't know what is.

AOC and her faction are populist far left. Wanting the cancellation of student debt or reparations to black community for slavery. These are crazy extreme left ideas that focus on a small section of society. The focus on what they describe as "Social Justice" always favours a specific section of their "Tribe". 

Policies that benefit all people and focus on closing wealth gaps and inequality etc.. should work for many not the few. You can always tell the extremes of the two parties because there's a core ideology there with a focus on themselves and their tribe. 

Obviously on the Right we see far more extremism than the left. But they exist on both sides and have used their power (when needed for votes) to force their agendas. In the past bipartisanship was the way forward because there were more people close to the centre in the two parties to get legislation over the line. Now there is only party vs party so the extremes in those parties hold significant power and this is a bad outcome for government

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

How do slavery repatriations actually work in practice? 

I don't know but some kind of assistance could be provided.  

I'm not saying it's easy but it's hardly an extreme insane view to have.

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I don't know but some kind of assistance could be provided.  

I'm not saying it's east but it's hardly an extreme insane view to have.

Assistance to whom exactly and from whom does the money get taken? 

16 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Assistance to whom exactly and from whom does the money get taken? 

Well anyone whose ancestors were forced into slavery. 

As I said I'm not saying it's easy but in the pandemic all sorts of financial assistance packages were put in place for huge swathes of the population. 

No nation went bust, the world moves forward. 

Not easy as I've repeatedly said. Just not insane madness. 

Why is this such an issue with you? 

Edited by sidcow

Reparations don't even have to be paid to the individuals descendants. An apology is a start, acknowledgent as well. I thought the Dutch were going to do something like this. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Reparations don't even have to be paid to the individuals descendants. An apology is a start, acknowledgent as well. I thought the Dutch were going to do something like this. 

Bunch of insane lefties. Probably came up with the idea whilst smoking weed. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Meanwhile the Republican party has literally hundreds of figures that are fully paid up right wing nut jobs or, perhaps worse, those prepared to support that viewpoint for their own gains.

Sounds like the Tories

47 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well anyone whose ancestors were forced into slavery. 

As I said I'm not saying it's easy but in the pandemic all sorts of financial assistance packages were put in place for huge swathes of the population. 

No nation went bust, the world moves forward. 

Not easy as I've repeatedly said. Just not insane madness. 

Why is this such an issue with you? 

I’m just interested in your thoughts on how it works in practice. 

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I’m just interested in your thoughts on how it works in practice. 

I haven't really got any thoughts.  I've not read what these insane left wing nutjobs have proposed. 

I'm not even agreeing that it's something that should happen, in fact I probably don't. 

I'm just saying there nothing crazy about it and if that's their definition of an insane ultra left wing idea along with cancelling student debt the bar is so low you'd probably need to tunnel under it (as long as you're paying for your own tunnel and not expecting any Government help with it).

Edited by sidcow

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The "both sides" card is a bit grim when one side is banning abortion and pride parades

Going into the bathroom not matching your assigned gender will be illegal.

I'm looking forward to a screaming 5 year old boy being arrested for being in the ladies room with his mum.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Going into the bathroom not matching your assigned gender will be illegal.

I'm looking forward to a screaming 5 year old boy being arrested for being in the ladies room with his mum.

And his mom for being a ‘groomer’

Â