U.S. Politics

maqroll

On 2/27/2018 at 04:34, Stevo985 said:

Arming teachers is just so monumentally dumb.

Imagine just one of those teachers going mad and shooting someone.

Well it took about one day for this 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/us/georgia-dalton-high-school-teacher-gunfire/index.html

A north Georgia high school teacher was arrested on Wednesday after he barricaded himself in a classroom and fired a shot from his handgun out of a window, police said.

No one was injured in the incident at Dalton High School, except for a female student who injured an ankle running through the school, police spokesman Bruce Frazier said.
The shooting about 85 miles north of Atlanta heightened the already tense debate around guns in schools in the wake of the deadly mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, two weeks ago.
President Donald Trump and the National Rifle Association, among others, have proposed that teachers should be allowed to bring firearms into schools to defend against possible attacks. But critics have said arming teachers would create a host of other dangerous side effects, and pointed to the Dalton shooting as Exhibit A in that argument. 

The incident began about 11:30 a.m. when Randal Davidson, a 53-year-old social studies teacher, refused to let students into his classroom while he was in his planning period, Frazier said. When the principal put a key in the door in an attempt to enter, Davidson fired a shot from a handgun through an exterior window of the classroom, Frazier said.
The school went into lockdown, and police quickly arrived and evacuated the immediate area around his classroom. After about 30 to 45 minutes, Davidson agreed to surrender and was taken into custody without further incident, Frazier said.
Frazier said there was no evidence Davidson was trying to fire at anyone.
"It certainly seemed like he didn't have any intention to harm anybody else," Frazier said.
Police later tweeted that Davidson would face charges of aggravated assault, carrying a weapon on school grounds, terroristic threats, reckless conduct, possession of gun during commission of a crime, and disrupting a public school.
Dalton police said the school resource officer, who has a close relationship with school staff, was at the junior high school when the incident began and then came to Davidson's classroom. The officer was able to speak to the teacher and persuade him to leave his room without harming anyone.
"We're very, very proud of this officer and everything that he did to render this horrible situation safe as quick as what he did," Dalton police Assistant Chief Cliff Cason said
Cason praised the school's lockdown drill as "flawless" and said it made it easier for police to quickly reach the teacher.
"When we got there, they directed us where we needed to go and it made things so much easier for us because it wasn't mass chaos, as you see at times," Cason said.
In a lockdown drill, teachers are instructed to gather students into classrooms, lock the room, turn off the lights and move away from windows, Principal Steve Bartoo said.
Davidson has been a teacher at Dalton since 2004 and was the play-by-play radio announcer for the high school's football team, Frazier said. Police did not release any explanation for what happened.
Bartoo said Davidson was an "excellent teacher" who was "well thought of in our building."
Classes will resume Friday. Students can go by the school Thursday to claim their belongings.

I really hope Muller finds something to get Trump out of the white office. I am so sick of all this. This has been like a terrible reality show with the purpose of making America look so stupid and lessen the world's trust in their country. 

Trump has also awaken a lot of other nations in making them want to be like Trump. The Czech President wishes he could be trump. 

• Like 1

Legislators in the US state of Georgia have passed a bill denying Delta Air Lines a tax break after the firm cut ties with the US gun lobby.

The Atlanta-based airline ended its discount for members of the National Rifle Association (NRA) after a Florida school shooting left 17 people dead.

Georgia Republicans vowed to strip a bill of a jet fuel tax exemption that would benefit the carrier as a result.

Delta is one of several firms to end relations with the NRA in recent days.

The state's House of Representatives and Senate, both controlled by Republicans, passed a sweeping tax package within hours of each other on Thursday that was amended to exclude a $50m (£36m) sales-tax exemption.

BBC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xann said:

BBC

That is both good and bad.  Delta don't need a massive tax break, it was another case of giving the most to those who need it the least.  I'm perfectly comfortable with Delta not getting the break.  The other side of this is yet another sickening perversion of governmental norms.  I'm pretty sure this sort of thing is illegal.  If it isn't it should be as it is shameful and a horrendous abuse of power.

• Like 1

Insider trading

Billionaire investor and longtime Trump confidant Carl Icahn dumped $31.3 million of stock in a company heavily dependent on steel last week, just days before Trump announced plans to impose steep tariffs on steel imports.

In a little-noticed SEC filing submitted on February 22, 2018, Icahn disclosed that he systematically sold off nearly 1 million shares of Manitowoc Company Inc. Manitowoc is a “is a leading global manufacturer of cranes and lifting solutions” and, therefore, heavily dependent on steel to make its products.

The filing came just seven days before a White House event where Trump announced his intention of imposing a 25 percent tariff on steel imports.

Sounds legit.

In the same news...

Yep, nothing to see here.

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

Insider trading

Sounds legit.

In the same news...

Yep, nothing to see here.

To be fair, this has been coming down the pipeline for quite some time, so a professional trader liquidating a position prior to a change in government policy is not necessarily evidence of insider trading. Frankly, if you owned foreign steel and related  stocks and had not hedged accordingly recently, you're a moron who deserves to be cleaned out.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

To be fair, this has been coming down the pipeline for quite some time, so a professional trader liquidating a position prior to a change in government policy is not necessarily evidence of insider trading. Frankly, if you owned foreign steel and related  stocks and had not hedged accordingly recently, you're a moron who deserves to be cleaned out.

Coming down the pipeline for a long time you say?

Not sure it sounds well planned to me

WASHINGTON — With global markets shaken by President Donald Trump's surprise decision to impose strict tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, the president went into battle mode on Friday: "Trade wars are good, and easy to win," he wrote on Twitter.

But the public show of confidence belies the fact that Trump's policy maneuver, which may ultimately harm U.S. companies and American consumers, was announced without any internal review by government lawyers or his own staff, according to a review of an internal White House document.

According to two officials, Trump's decision to launch a potential trade war was born out of anger at other simmering issues and the result of a broken internal process that has failed to deliver him consensus views that represent the best advice of his team.

On Wednesday evening, the president became "unglued," in the words of one official familiar with the president's state of mind

There were no prepared, approved remarks for the president to give at the planned meeting, there was no diplomatic strategy for how to alert foreign trade partners, there was no legislative strategy in place for informing Congress and no agreed upon communications plan beyond an email cobbled together by Ross's team at the Commerce Department late Wednesday that had not been approved by the White House.

No one at the State Department, the Treasury Department or the Defense Department had been told that a new policy was about to be announced or given an opportunity to weigh in in advance.

And yes I know that Trump talked about protectionism during his campaign so that he has done something about it is not totally out of left field, but the manner and the speed with which it happened is deeply suspicious. He went from 0 to 100 in no time with apparently no one in the WH prepared at all for the announcement, yet his buddies all sell related stock in the week before it happens.  By your definition the only people who arent morons in the steel industry are the couple of people who managed to get out of it last week (Trumps mates).  Literally everyone else got stung by this surprise decision.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Lads. I’m a teacher in the states. And I’m pro #2A. But I will tell you this. The last thing in the world I want to do is carry a gun in school and every single teacher I know feels the same way.

Yet you still want to own, and want anybody else to own enough military hardware (based on that reprehensible "look at my new weapon" thread) to take over a small country. 

Forgive me for saying that your "but it's not supposed to be like this" comes across as a little trite.

A 13 year old walked out of a school toilet with a semi automatic rifle yesterday in the US. Changed his mind, committed suicide.

This is fine.

I was listening earlier to a podcast that discusses US politics. They raised a good point. Remember Columbine? The school shooting that birthed them all. Horrific. That took place in the assault weapon ban period. They massacred all those students with shotguns, a semi auto pistol and carbine (specifically designed to get round the ban). Virginia Tech was done with a couple of pistols. 

Imagine giving these hateful words removed AR15s.

American gun politics are absolutely insane.

12 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Coming down the pipeline for a long time you say?

Not sure it sounds well planned to me

And yes I know that Trump talked about protectionism during his campaign so that he has done something about it is not totally out of left field, but the manner and the speed with which it happened is deeply suspicious. He went from 0 to 100 in no time with apparently no one in the WH prepared at all for the announcement, yet his buddies all sell related stock in the week before it happens.  By your definition the only people who arent morons in the steel industry are the couple of people who managed to get out of it last week (Trumps mates).  Literally everyone else got stung by this surprise decision.

I'm with Villakram on this one.   Trump has specifically mentioned steel tariffs within the past month or so as something he was considering.  Knowing that Trump's executive decisions often don't involve a lot of careful consideration of all viewpoints, it would have been logical to start hedging bets if you were heavily invested.   I sold half my steel mills a couple of weeks ago...

1 minute ago, il_serpente said:

I'm with Villakram on this one.   Trump has specifically mentioned steel tariffs within the past month or so as something he was considering.  Knowing that Trump's executive decisions often don't involve a lot of careful consideration of all viewpoints, it would have been logical to start hedging bets if you were heavily invested.   I sold half my steel mills a couple of weeks ago...

There is a difference between hedging your bets and dumping all of your stock.  Icahn literally sold the lot.  Also, whilst I don't want to sling mud about being wise after the event I can't help but notice that all of the reporting on this is calling it a surprise announcement or a shock, the market in dropping 500 points is behaving like it is in shock.  The GOP didn't know that this was going to happen now and many of them have come out saying they don't agree with it.  So I'm not saying that Trump has never said anything about trade tariffs and steel.  What I am saying is that the timing smells like a rat that one of Trumps confidants was one of he very few who did see it coming NOW and got out completely.  If it really was easy to see coming how come no one else saw it coming other than Icahn, Villakram and you?

6 minutes ago, Straggler said:

There is a difference between hedging your bets and dumping all of your stock.  Icahn literally sold the lot.  Also, whilst I don't want to sling mud about being wise after the event I can't help but notice that all of the reporting on this is calling it a surprise announcement or a shock, the market in dropping 500 points is behaving like it is in shock.  The GOP didn't know that this was going to happen now and many of them have come out saying they don't agree with it.  So I'm not saying that Trump has never said anything about trade tariffs and steel.  What I am saying is that the timing smells like a rat that one of Trumps confidants was one of he very few who did see it coming NOW and got out completely.  If it really was easy to see coming how come no one else saw it coming other than Icahn, Villakram and you?

Gary Cohn, the Presidents Chief Economic Advisor, has reportedly threatened to quit over the decision because he thinks it's such a terrible idea.

But Villakram wont believe that as it was reported in the fake NYTimes.

Â