Jack Wilshere

sir_gary_cahill

there is no end product with Wilshire. he is the most over rated player in the league at the moment and the media banging on about him being the next best thing is laughable. one pundit likened him to Gazza.

105 appearances

5 goals

15 assists

the stats would suggest he is miles off being anywhere near as good as Gazza.

Ah but his heat map........

Actually I agree, I think he is a decent player but not half as good as is often made out.

there is no end product with Wilshire. he is the most over rated player in the league at the moment and the media banging on about him being the next best thing is laughable. one pundit likened him to Gazza.

105 appearances

5 goals

15 assists

Actually I agree, I think he is a decent player but not half as good as is often made out.

the media seem to be pinning England hopes on him being some world class midfielder. He is decent as you say but will never be world class

I watched the game, several times he launched 70 yard balls to nobody. Out of his depth last night.

54 passes, 89% completion. 2 of which were classed as long balls and both were successful.

Please stop spouting drivel. 

In the nicest possible way, your stats are bollocks

He played a few long hopeful balls that were easily met and dealt with by the Bayern defence

I saw it with my own eyes

105 appearances

5 goals

15 assists

the media seem to be pinning England hopes on him being some world class midfielder. He is decent as you say but will never be world class

I rarely say never but I think it is highly unlikely.

I almost feel like with Wilshire people have been building him up for so long now that they almost have to stick to the theme despite his performances rather than because of them.

They've been saying for years he is going to be great so they er keep saying he is going to be great. Only he isn't great, he is quite a way short of it but he is a good player and one of very few good young English players, and one of only 5 or so at top 4 clubs so he is getting the hopes of the nation or the national media pinned to him.

One thing I would say though, I'd like to see him in a side with better players around him than those in the Arsenal team before I really judge him because I rather suspect in a better side he would perform at a much higher level.

I don't though ever think he is going to be much of an end product player in terms of goals and assists.

It's really not worth getting that worked up about, the press are just testing the water for a new whipping boy is all. Why do think Joe Hart has had an easier than expected ride with all his recent blunders. No point burying them now is there? Got to build them towards the next England tournament **** up.

Edited by flamingsombrero

I watched the game, several times he launched 70 yard balls to nobody. Out of his depth last night.

54 passes, 89% completion. 2 of which were classed as long balls and both were successful.

He played a few long hopeful balls that were easily met and dealt with by the Bayern defence

Haha. I've put plain fact in front of you and yet you continue to ignore it. I'm not surprised. 

In fairness your eyes haven't seemed to be the most reliable barometer previously.

• Like 1

His stats are not bollocks.

They're absolutely correct, not that I'm surprised you're dismissing factual  evidence put before you (you've done it plenty of times before)

He played 2 "long balls" all night and both were successful. He only misplaced 5 passes in the game.

Come on, saying Jack Wilshere is average is just plain wrong. Not wrong in "you are slightly wrong, but entitled to your opinion" - but dead, out of this world wrong, not worthy of saying such a thing-wrong.

He is not the world class player Arsenal-fans deem him to be, not yet, but he certainly is extremely accomplished for his age. On his day he is one of the best in the league, but his consistency takes him down a few notches compared to the ones that keep their level up every game. That will come with age and experience of course.

But again, saying he is average is just silly. People shouldn't rate players when they obviously haven't seen them enough or are just slating them based on a few poor performances. I would say a player like Noble and Osman are average, they are worth 4-6M. Wilshere is worth easily 25M if he was to be sold, just wait and see in the summer. Much because of his age of course, but even so, worth a lot of money and his talent is unquestionable. His stats are low in terms of assists and goals, but he sits deeper and has attacking players like Cazorla and Walcott in front of him.

He has said he will stick with Arsenal his entire career, but if he suddenly decides to leave it will be for Manchester United or City, not Aston Villa or West Ham!

This thread has established several consensuses.  Almost everyone seems to agree on several key points relating to Wilshere:

Jack Wilshere is a very good player.

Jack Wilshere has the potential to be an excellent player - possibly world-class (the definition of which is subjective) but this is not a guarantee.

Jack Wilshere is young, committed and English so will get a lot of hype from the English media.  This does not affect his natural ability as a footballer, but may alter football fans' perceptions of it.

Jack Wilshere is better than Matthew Etherington, James Morrison and Kevin Nolan.

Jack Wilshere is not the best midfielder in the world.

Some people disagree with many of these statements quite strongly.  However, debate with them is pointless and any attempt at reasoning through the presentation of a valid argument is futile.  And for that reason, I'm out.

Would an Arsenal-fan swap Jack Wilshere for Kevin Nolan? Would every single West Ham-fan on the planet swap Kevin Nolan for Jack Wilshere?

WIlshere came back from a year of injury rehabilitation, and he hit the ground running. Of course he is going to hit a snag here and there, but he is probably the first player on the team sheet.

And by the way, did Dani Alves from Barcelona just go out and talk about Wilshere or Nolan in terms of joining them in the summer?

I think he has the potential to be Sir Gary. I'm not buying the insane hype though until he's actually lived up to it.

No doubt he'll have an absolute barnstormer this Saturday .

Michael Johnson would have a barnstorner against our midfield

:)

Â