Playstation 4

hogso

11 hours ago, choffer said:

I've never been much of a gamer but I have just recently obtained a PS4. I don't think I've played anything since GTAV so need some recommendations. 

I've almost no interest in online play (although I obviously will be checking out Rocket League, given the reception on here) but normally I prefer story-driven games rather than smash and bash. Past favourites have been RDR, GTA, Heavy Rain. What should I be getting now?

11 hours ago, hogso said:

You might like Beyond: Two Souls which has recently had a 'HD' release on PS4, it's by the same studio as Heavy Rain, but not as good. If, and pretty much only if, you liked that I'd recommend it. Unless you played it already. 

Until Dawn is being heavily discounted at the moment.  You can get it for £18.99 on Amazon right now.  

It's a Heavy Rain inspired horror game which was released to critical acclaim a few months back.  I've bought a copy, not booted it up yet. 

• Like 1

I had Until Dawn a few months ago.  Great game and I had every intention of playing through several times to see the effects my choices made. Finished it once and then traded it in. Couldn't put my finger on it but didn't want to play the game through a second time.  

Apparently it's replayability is one of it's real strengths, as far as I'm aware (and I'll tell you when I've played it) it doesn't take the 'diamond shaped' structure of a lot the story based adventure games do, where they all start in the same place, fan out in the middle then end in the same place.  It's that claim which is the main appeal to me.  I think it's certainly worth taking a punt on at less than £20. 

57 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Apparently it's replayability is one of it's real strengths, as far as I'm aware (and I'll tell you when I've played it) it doesn't take the 'diamond shaped' structure of a lot the story based adventure games do, where they all start in the same place, fan out in the middle then end in the same place.  It's that claim which is the main appeal to me.  I think it's certainly worth taking a punt on at less than £20. 

Don't get me wrong,  it's a great game.  I guess cuz I don't get a lot of game time I don't replay them when I've finished them.

I still don't really get people who complain about controller battery life. 

Rest mode on the PS4 means you can charge your controller when your PS4 is "off". So whenever you finish playing, just plug your controller in and it'll charge ready for when you next turn it on to play.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I still don't really get people who complain about controller battery life. 

Rest mode on the PS4 means you can charge your controller when your PS4 is "off". So whenever you finish playing, just plug your controller in and it'll charge ready for when you next turn it on to play.

That's great, but it's possible to burn through the battery in a single day.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Then use your second controller which is surely plugged in while you use your main one ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2016 at 09:44, Davkaus said:

On 02/01/2016 at 11:22, Stevo985 said:

Then use your second controller which is surely plugged in while you use your main one ;)

....Or get a job!

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Imagine that, being allowed a day off work every so often. The luxury!

When I were a lad we used to work down t'mines 27 hours a day, 8 days a week with half an hour off for Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...

@Stevo985 @The_Rev How did you get on with your official PS4 headset? More importantly, can you hear other people through both sides of the headset unlike some other headsets? 

I like the headset I use now but the amount of wiring I have to put up with is a joke just to be able to use it the way I like. This is currently what it looks like. 

2921r4p.jpg

It ruins the neat layout of wires I have going on my TV stand. To hear people on voice chat though both ears, I have to plug cables into my audio slots on TV and a USB in the front of the PS4 resulting in the mess above. 

Lolz

Yeah the official ones are great. You hear people through both ears, as well as the sound of the game obviously. And you can adjust the level of either.

And no wires. You stick a dongle into the front of your PS4 and it's all wireless. The only wire is a short one to charge the headphones (although you can use the same wire as your controller charging wire.

Â