New TV advice

CVByrne

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Most smart TV interfaces I’ve used for Netflix, YouTube etc are clunky and slow to type, scroll through videos, search etc. It’s like having a massive lag on your tv

Apple TV is smooth and instant. It’s very important to me. 
Ive not used chromecast with google tv but if that’s smooth and quick as well then great

Absolutely. I guess part of the higher price of the appleTV is due to faster processing and wotnot. Slick as anything. It stay on topic, when I was researching buying the new telly a few months ago, I saw that some makers include an appleTV app in the actual tellybox. I kind of assume that it wouldn’t be as good as as the separate appleTV device, based on how relatively crap my android telly apps are, compared to the same apps on the appleTV box. Whether it’s iPlayer or Amazon or YouTube etc, using the apps on the appleTV is a miles better experience visually and user operation wise than doing so via the android tv apps, or those apps on the sky Q box.  I’m guessing it’s processor power and superior upscaling that’s the reason.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

It's Android so I've pimped mine by reducing the animation multiplier and dialled down the multitasking (as it isn't needed). All the screen renders are pretty much instant.

If you need animations and need them to be quick, then I agree that  you need to pay for it.

It’s not so much animations. I’m not even sure what you mean by that. 

It’s simply scrolling through stuff or typing or selecting anything. I’ve got a pretty high end Sony Bravia and it’s so slow to do all that stuff. Just selecting apps etc (and it’s Android TV by the way)

So as an alternative to that Apple TV works well for me

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s not so much animations. I’m not even sure what you mean by that. 

It’s simply scrolling through stuff

Scrolling is an animation. It;s a computer generated illusion of movement.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Scrolling is an animation. It;s a computer generated illusion of movement.

Ok well yeah that. On smart TVs that always takes ages. The delay after you push the button is frustrating. 

On Apple TV (and google tv by the sounds of it) that is very smooth and the reaction to your button presses is instant

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TV buying strategy for optimum value?

I've done all my homework and identified what I want, it's 2021 model. I don't think a 2022 model can improve on this so I'm happy to go with this year's.

However it's 400 over budget,.....

When will new models hit the shelves and when you last years start dropping in price, when is black friday etc, any advice appreciated. The money doesn't really matter but its the principle, knowing if I wait it will be cheaper.

Ta.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2021 at 10:51, Phil Silvers said:

interesting idea ...  wonder how the specs compare with the market leaders ? and would the average viewer even notice ?

my current Sony TV must be about 10 years old and other than not being a smart TV the picture quality is still staggeringly good to the point I don't see the need to change it ,though I have been eyeing up the Sony AJ90 or Panasonic JZ2000 (both North of £2k) 

the Glass thing might suite me 

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

my current Sony TV must be about 10 years old and other than not being a smart TV the picture quality is still staggeringly good to the point I don't see the need to change it ,though I have been eyeing up the Sony AJ90 or Panasonic JZ2000 (both North of £2k) 

I was kind of in that situation - my whatever year old non-smart Sony TV picture was really good, but I decided the screen could be a bit bigger, so bought a new fangled modern telly. On "normal HD" the picture is no better than the Sony, but the UHD stuff - crikey, it's stunningly good and a huge improvement, (though I didn't spend anything like 2K on it). I feel the upgrade was worth it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I was kind of in that situation - my whatever year old non-smart Sony TV picture was really good, but I decided the screen could be a bit bigger, so bought a new fangled modern telly. On "normal HD" the picture is no better than the Sony, but the UHD stuff - crikey, it's stunningly good and a huge improvement, (though I didn't spend anything like 2K on it). I feel the upgrade was worth it.

I think the Sony price tag was that new launch premium   .. I went to look at it in John Lewis and they had the previous year model for about £900 and that packed some serious punch , just didn't have HDMI 2.0  / ARC ? and a few newer features , that in all honesty I'd probably never use ... the UHD stuff was as you say .. crikey 

• Like 1

I've been looking to get a better TV lately, narrowed it down to an LG B1 55", with £100 off at John Lewis(seems to be the best place for TV's from what I can see) it comes in at £999, then 2 days ago I see this sky thing, I've got skyQ so probably makes sense to just get this Sky glass but I'm sceptical, specs wise and have they manufactured in a very limited shelf life to it, so that you have to upgrade every 3/4 years say. 

My issue is sound, my hearing is gradually getting worse, I bought a sound bar a year ago and to get the sound as I need it, no one else in the place gets any peace. I listened to that LG and it has an ultra thin screen on a thick base that includes good speakers for a slim TV, seems ideal, but sky have thrown a right spanner in the works.

Ps, as Tony says, very spec dependent and I'd rather wait a few years to see how ppl receive it.

Edited by Phil Silvers

Does the Sky Glass have a tuner, if not it does sort of tie you in to Sky services.

I did try on the day of launch to find more info out about the above but have struggled to find out. If you already have Sky Q can you add this TV to it?

8 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Does the Sky Glass have a tuner, if not it does sort of tie you in to Sky services.

I did try on the day of launch to find more info out about the above but have struggled to find out. If you already have Sky Q can you add this TV to it?

Yes. Glass will replace Q and you will get a pick for your other TV’s. I hope they release this without the TV as it’s the only way to get multiroom in 4K.

On 08/10/2021 at 11:36, tonyh29 said:

interesting idea ...  wonder how the specs compare with the market leaders ? and would the average viewer even notice ?

the Glass thing might suite me 

Been reflecting on this. One of the key selling points of Sky (aside from the content) is ease of use. The Sky set top boxes are quick and slick, with extras like remote recording etc.

I expect this TV to be the same; specifically a MASSIVELY improved user experience vs the traditional 'smart' TV, i.e. as quick and slick as a Sky box, not the shitty afterthought of a shit smart telly with just about enough grunt to work, so you can put the word 'Smart' on the outside of the box.

If the above is true then it could do for smart tellies what Apple did for smart phones - take a good but poorly executed existing idea, run with it and introduce good quality to make it mainstream.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, jim said:

Yes. Glass will replace Q and you will get a pick for your other TV’s. I hope they release this without the TV as it’s the only way to get multiroom in 4K.

Awhile ago there was rumours that Sky were going to introduce that feature to the current Sky Q boxes so I cannot imagine that it isn't possible with the existing software.

• 8 months later...

We've got £200 Curry's vouchers to use and looking to buy a TV to have in the bedroom. 32" is the limit. Not really got a clue what I'm looking at but do the 2 below look any good?

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/jvc-lt32ca690-android-tv-32-smart-hd-ready-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10199524.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/jvc-lt32c605-32-smart-hd-ready-led-tv-with-builtin-dvd-player-10213274.html

8 hours ago, MCU said:

We've got £200 Curry's vouchers to use and looking to buy a TV to have in the bedroom. 32" is the limit. Not really got a clue what I'm looking at but do the 2 below look any good?

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/jvc-lt32ca690-android-tv-32-smart-hd-ready-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10199524.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/jvc-lt32c605-32-smart-hd-ready-led-tv-with-builtin-dvd-player-10213274.html

When you are at that pricerange there could actually be made a case for buying a computer-monitor instead and get a lot better panel for the money. The downside is you would have to rely on a streaming-device like a chromecast or a firestick instead of watching TV over the air and you might need some sort of speakers as well.

Example, with speakers:

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/iiyama-prolite-xb3270qsb1-quad-hd-32”-ips-lcd-monitor-black-10207598.html

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Anyone bought a new TV recently? 

I need to upgrade my Sony TV which has served me well but I'm thinking of shifting to Samsung 4k 55".

Does anyone have a Samsung?

Is the brand important? More important than the features?

• Like 1

Â