New TV advice

CVByrne

54 minutes ago, dubbs said:

We decided to change our 2015 Sony Bravia recently.   We've been looking for around for ages and went down the OLED route.  My lord is the picture on these panels impressive!  We went for an LG CX, great that it has both Dolby Atmos and Vision built in,  and the difference when playing on the PS4 is night and day.   It's hooked up to an LG Atmos soundboard too. Got loads of demo files to show it off properly once the family come round, and now Netflix outputs in Atmos too that's a bonus. 

Sounds good. Where did you pick the TV up from?

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

Got it in Currys because they offered a price match and it came with some free wireless headphones too.

On the hunt for a new one myself. The one you’ve got is mentioned on A.V. forums a lot. People are saying wait till Black Friday though.

Your dog is ridiculously cute by the way, if that is your dog in your avvy?

18 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

If you're going to buy a TV, depending on your budget... LG C9 is pretty incredible.

Absolutely love mine. 

Just so I know I’m not being dumb is This the one we're referring to? Looking at a 55” mostly for sports,  Netflix, movies usual stuff. Any experience with gaming on yours?

2 hours ago, MCU said:

On the hunt for a new one myself. The one you’ve got is mentioned on A.V. forums a lot. People are saying wait till Black Friday though.

Your dog is ridiculously cute by the way, if that is your dog in your avvy?

Its from the 2020 range so don't think it'll be down in price much tbf.  Last years model was £1098 but there weren't any in stock anywhere.  

Yes that's our dog (Bear) - taken about 9 months ago when he was a puppy.   Been quite ill recently but healthy again now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2018 at 15:44, Stevo985 said:

My advice on OLED is still the same.

If you've either got a massive budget OR really really want the absolute best technology, then OLED is worth it.

Otherwise, you could probably buy a really good LED TV today, and replace it with an OLED when they come down to a more reasonable price in a couple of years, and you'd still have paid less than if you bought an OLED today.

Is your advice still the same 2 years later?

On 30/05/2019 at 18:32, imavillan said:

I'm looking to get a new TV and want to go for a 65'' and don't wan't to pay anymore than £800

I am not into gaming. Its a TV for watching sport, the odd movie, general TV stuff and perhaps a few things from youtube.

I've been looking around and becoming bewildered by all of the techie data/stats etc. After all, surely this day and age they are all much of a muchness.

Got my eye on these....

• Philips 65PUS670365 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview Play - £679
  • LG 65UK6750PLD LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 65" with Freeview Play/Freesat HD & Ultra HD Certified - £749
  • Samsung UE65NU710065 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV TVPlus - £699

All with a 6 year guarantee 

Any fellow VT'rs got these tv's? What they like?

Any real difference between them?

Any others out there perhaps better?

Thanks in advance.

what did you get?

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They haven’t come down in price as much as I’d have liked. So probably not actually 😬

ah but would you now say still buy an LED and OLED will come down in price in 2 years time (2022)?

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

what did you get?

Went for something totally different from the list and splashed out on a LG OLED55B8SLC

The 65'' proved to be to big for where i wanted to place the tv so went for 55''

Love it. It's a brilliant picture quality and would recommend it.

Also bought a Sonos Beam to go with it which is fantastic.

Thanks 🙂

5 hours ago, imavillan said:

Went for something totally different from the list and splashed out on a LG OLED55B8SLC

The 65'' proved to be to big for where i wanted to place the tv so went for 55''

Love it. It's a brilliant picture quality and would recommend it.

Also bought a Sonos Beam to go with it which is fantastic.

Thanks 🙂

I've got a Sonos Beam too. Really happy with it

• Like 1

I've got the Samsung N9800 65" from 2018 and for a "midrange" TV it's superb. Invisible bezels, great 4k, decent HDR, not much Dirty Screen Effect if any which makes it great for football, really deep blacks (not quite OLED levels I'd imagine) and really important to me it has very low input lag in the gaming mode, I think it was like 12ms. Just in case anyone is still shopping.

Gaaah, can someone advise please? Just got back from PC World to get an idea of what TV’s were looking like in person. Did this a few weeks ago and decided to hold off but getting the itch again!

Took a note of a couple which I thought looked decent - This being one. Couple hundred off and my partner can get blue light discount which brings it down to about £560. As it is my budget is around £800 so I’ve saved a bit there straight away.

My only worry is, one of our sofas will be on an angle when viewing whilst the other will be sat straight on. I’ve read this can make the quality of the picture less appealing?

FWIW, this TV will be mostly used for everything (sports, movies, normal TV, Netflix, gaming etc) so looking for an all rounder really. I wasn’t sure the actual model of the TV you guys recommended and whether it was within my budget. I’ll be upgrading from a 40” 7 year old Samsung which has served me well. Looking at a maximum 55”.

1 hour ago, MCU said:

Gaaah, can someone advise please? Just got back from PC World to get an idea of what TV’s were looking like in person. Did this a few weeks ago and decided to hold off but getting the itch again!

Took a note of a couple which I thought looked decent - This being one. Couple hundred off and my partner can get blue light discount which brings it down to about £560. As it is my budget is around £800 so I’ve saved a bit there straight away.

My only worry is, one of our sofas will be on an angle when viewing whilst the other will be sat straight on. I’ve read this can make the quality of the picture less appealing?

FWIW, this TV will be mostly used for everything (sports, movies, normal TV, Netflix, gaming etc) so looking for an all rounder really. I wasn’t sure the actual model of the TV you guys recommended and whether it was within my budget. I’ll be upgrading from a 40” 7 year old Samsung which has served me well. Looking at a maximum 55”.

This site is very thorough in its reviews:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q60t-qled

Looks to be a decent all rounder.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Anyone understand it all enough to suggest a new TV for a PS5? HDMI 2.1 and all that 

Hoping for under £1k

LG C9 has HDMI 2.1 and it's an awesome TV. Not sure you'll find it for under £1k tho. 

Thoroughly recommend though. Not sure what else is out there so can't really provide any alternatives. 

• Like 1

On 01/10/2020 at 12:25, villa4europe said:

Anyone understand it all enough to suggest a new TV for a PS5? HDMI 2.1 and all that 

Hoping for under £1k

I've gone for this one:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-49nano866na-49-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-amazon-alexa-10206281-pdt.html

Cheapest HDMI 2.1 set I could find, Should be delivered tomorrow.

• Like 1

Â