New TV advice

CVByrne

Looking at buying a new tv for the first time in around 7/8 years. My LG 42LM seems to have decided it no longer wants to play YouTube videos (considering my kid gets to it play inane glorified toy commercials, I don’t entirely blame it).

However, the time is upon me to finally upgrade but frankly there’s a lot of options.

Looking at something around £700-800, probably no bigger than 49 inches. But IF there’s real benefits to go higher in price I’m happy to hear them. 

I was thinking maybe a Sony Bravia KD49 which looks like I could buy with a 5 year guarantee for £800 (49 inch). It’s smart 4K ultra HD and a few other letters as well.

However, is it worth waiting for Black Friday/cyber Monday? I’ve never gone in for those deals so unaware of how much benefit there would be in waiting a month.

Any suggestions welcome, but keeping in mind I am an idiot at this sort of thing, please feel free to.... 

trump GIF

Edited by Mark Albrighton

12 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

My LG 42LM seems to have decided it no longer wants to play YouTube videos

My telly

stopped doing that a while back - the various limited number of internet app things like iPlayer, YouTube, amazon, etc. stopped working, but it's otherwise perfectly fine as a telly. I thought about replacing it, but instead got a gubbins (Google/Amazon/Apple etc. make them) for internet streaming stuff. Much cheaper than replacing the telly just because its software is ancient..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Looking at buying a new tv for the first time in around 7/8 years. My LG 42LM seems to have decided it no longer wants to play YouTube videos (considering my kid gets to it play inane glorified toy commercials, I don’t entirely blame it).

However, the time is upon me to finally upgrade but frankly there’s a lot of options.

Looking at something around £700-800, probably no bigger than 49 inches. But IF there’s real benefits to go higher in price I’m happy to hear them. 

I was thinking maybe a Sony Bravia KD49 which looks like I could buy with a 5 year guarantee for £800 (49 inch). It’s smart 4K ultra HD and a few other letters as well.

However, is it worth waiting for Black Friday/cyber Monday? I’ve never gone in for those deals so unaware of how much benefit there would be in waiting a month.

Any suggestions welcome, but keeping in mind I am an idiot at this sort of thing, please feel free to.... 

trump GIF

I've been looking too, and my main port of call has been avforums. This thread and poster are excellent. He advises waiting until around Black Friday and/or Christmas sales - new TV models are released each year and it's around then that the prices seem to drop significantly, then they sometimes sell out quite widely before new models are released the following year. From my own experience though, there's often a lot of crap that gets reduced on Black Friday to pull people in, so I'd advise looking out for particular models.

I've decided to leave mine until next year when there's more choice of TVs with HDMI 2.1 for the next generation of consoles. I probably won't get one of those until late next year anyway so should have better options then.

Edited by Troglodyte
added link to avforums thread
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, blandy said:

My telly

stopped doing that a while back - the various limited number of internet app things like iPlayer, YouTube, amazon, etc. stopped working, but it's otherwise perfectly fine as a telly. I thought about replacing it, but instead got a gubbins (Google/Amazon/Apple etc. make them) for internet streaming stuff. Much cheaper than replacing the telly just because its software is ancient..

Cheers mate, I bought an amazon fire stick for it a while back because the telly was no longer supported the apps so iplayer, YouTube etc had stopped working.

That solved the issue, but every so often (like last night) I have issues where YouTube won’t play. The iplayer was working fine, likewise the itv player. But YouTube would load, start playing the video, then freeze. Can’t explain it.

To confuse things further, today it’s working fine :wacko:

Edited by Mark Albrighton

14 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

YouTube would load, start playing the video, then freeze. Can’t explain it.

To confuse things further, today it’s working fine :wacko:

Sounds like that's to do with the Youtube app on the fire stick, if everything else is fine, maybe?

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Sounds like that's to do with the Youtube app on the fire stick, if everything else is fine, maybe?

Quite possibly, in fairness the others apps can be spotty from time to time but YouTube is the main culprit. 

I’m going to investigate to see if there are any obvious solutions to fix it so the next time I run into a difficulty with it, I’ll try those.

I've gone Chinese...company called TCL, 55" QLED 4K 7 series blah blah blah

was £900 but a weekend no VAT + other sale thing meant I got it for £400 which I couldn't complain at

not a clue if they're any good, the write ups are ok, suggest that they can mass produce them which keeps them aggressively cheap on purpose, my quest to get a PS5 TV was a bit futile as there was loads of pros and cons floating around and a lot of money, I think the jump from 1080 to 4k will gloss over any insufficiencies from it anyway (not that I have loads of 4k devices or internet good enough to stream 4k...)

On 28/10/2020 at 03:55, villa4europe said:

I've gone Chinese...company called TCL, 55" QLED 4K 7 series blah blah blah

was £900 but a weekend no VAT + other sale thing meant I got it for £400 which I couldn't complain at

not a clue if they're any good, the write ups are ok, suggest that they can mass produce them which keeps them aggressively cheap on purpose, my quest to get a PS5 TV was a bit futile as there was loads of pros and cons floating around and a lot of money, I think the jump from 1080 to 4k will gloss over any insufficiencies from it anyway (not that I have loads of 4k devices or internet good enough to stream 4k...)

TCL is great. I remember the 6 series being excellent bang for buck when I was buying a TV 2 years ago, unfortunately it was out of stock everywhere at the time. Haven't heard of the 7 series but I imagine it to be similar.

From what I can gather the 7 isn't sold everywhere but you can get the 8, the 8 was £300 more and I think the main difference was the speaker quality which didn't bother me

I think on the continent it comes with android TV whereas in the UK it doesn't, I can imagine that makes a big difference 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

From what I can gather the 7 isn't sold everywhere but you can get the 8, the 8 was £300 more and I think the main difference was the speaker quality which didn't bother me

I think on the continent it comes with android TV whereas in the UK it doesn't, I can imagine that makes a big difference 

I remember them having the Roku interface, which seemed the cleanest and most convenient at the time. I heard of issues with Android TV being slow and other things but it might have cleared up since then.

After a couple of hours playing with it what I would recommend is putting something with Attenborough on

Watched a bit of 7 continents 1 planet or whatever its called and it was incredible for the 4k, blew the other stuff I watched out of the water, felt like a huge jump in quality 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bought me a new smart Samsung teevee having previously been on a 30' Sony Experia for the last 13 years.

Being connected and such, are there any apps that people recommend other the the standard (youtube/apple/netflix etc)?

22 minutes ago, villakram said:

Bought me a new smart Samsung teevee having previously been on a 30' Sony Experia for the last 13 years.

Being connected and such, are there any apps that people recommend other the the standard (youtube/apple/netflix etc)?

kodi...

i've put plex on mine but if im honest i cant get the most out of it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Why is buying a TV so bloody difficult these days.........

I didnt even want or need one before Xmas but my wife bought a blu ray box set which she thought we could play on the computer only she had bought the 4k set so I had to go and buy a 4k player............then I start to question if the picture quality was good enough on my LG TV which according to the specs does HDR and Dolby Vision but the unit isnt bright enough for proper HDR and it wont passthrough Dolby Atmos which isnt a problem for my Sonos doesnt support it but could with a new soundbar..........

So narrow it down to 2 Sony TVs which are similar. The XH9505 which is a better TV but doesnt have HDMI 2.1 (Do I even need it....) or the H9505 which is the cheaper brother but does have HDMI 2.1 and should I buy a PS5 or XBox X will via an update to be released support VRR & ALLM which improves the picture when gaming, only it looks like Sony arent going to support it now. Do I change my mind  and look at Samsung who dont support Dolby Vision but do support HD10+ which is the same thing (ish) or do I go for one of the Sonys but then I might need HDMI 2.1 so why would I buy the more expensive better TV which doesnt have it.

There was a time when the only choice we had to make was how big a sets we could afford.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any experience with Hinsense? 

I've just moved into a new house, wanted a new TV and money is a bit tight, so after reading some very positive reviews about the Hinsense Roku TV I went out and got one yesterday. 

I've set the thing up and the 3 top buttons (which includes the power button) and the 3 bottom buttons on the remote don't bloody work. 

I was just going to exchange it today, but the saying "buy cheap buy twice I's rattling around in my mind so I don't know whether or not to just stump up more money and go with a more established brand. 

• 1 month later...

Samsung vs LG vs Sony vs Panasonic vs any other?

Looking at either a 60" or 65", standard 4k LCD with some HDMI ports.

Would like to pay around £800 ideally, can stretch to £1,000 is necessary.

Will connect to Virgin box and PS4 mainly.

Will buy a cheap soundbar to go with it (£200-ish).

Any ideas? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2021 at 08:41, av1 said:

Has anyone had any experience with Hinsense? 

I've just moved into a new house, wanted a new TV and money is a bit tight, so after reading some very positive reviews about the Hinsense Roku TV I went out and got one yesterday. 

I've set the thing up and the 3 top buttons (which includes the power button) and the 3 bottom buttons on the remote don't bloody work. 

I was just going to exchange it today, but the saying "buy cheap buy twice I's rattling around in my mind so I don't know whether or not to just stump up more money and go with a more established brand. 

I've bought 3 Hisense Roku TV's recently. Can't fault them.

On 02/03/2021 at 12:41, ender4 said:

Samsung vs LG vs Sony vs Panasonic vs any other?

Looking at either a 60" or 65", standard 4k LCD with some HDMI ports.

Would like to pay around £800 ideally, can stretch to £1,000 is necessary.

Will connect to Virgin box and PS4 mainly.

Will buy a cheap soundbar to go with it (£200-ish).

Any ideas? 

Did you get anything?

if not what about this one?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/philips-65pus8555-12-65-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10207300-pdt.html?awc=1599_1615991410_d2f6fe890bdf52c59c8ec70522bc3b55&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~HotUKDeals~Discount Code~47868~Pepper+Deals+Ltd

£50 off with 50TVSAVE code.

1 got this from hotukdeals.com 

Its worth a look on there for some decent deals 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â