New TV advice

CVByrne

On 25/05/2021 at 16:49, Tegis said:

Don't worry about that. It's a measurable difference in brightness between LCD and OLED (which reviewers harp on about) but nothing that you will make out in normal scenarios. I have a panorama window behind me when watching TV and it's plenty bright enough.

Until Mini/Micro LED becomes feasible and mainstream I'd say OLED is the king of panels.

Technically speaking, if you had a panorama window, wouldn't that also be on the sides and in front of you when watching the TV? Sounds like what you got is a window 😁

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Technically speaking, if you had a panorama window, wouldn't that also be on the sides and in front of you when watching the TV? Sounds like what you got is a window 😁

Sides yes, front into another room with light, so point still stands but for the word behind.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Are any of the TV deals on Amazon for Prime day actually a good deal? 

I need a new TV but have no idea where to start nowadays. 

Depends what you are after and what it's for. Just general tv watching, gaming, watching through Sky Q, Virgin or BT......and then there's what size?

This has a good spec and at a good price at £679

(look back a couple of pages and see that @blandy is happy with his)

Philips Ambilight 65PUS8545/12 65-Inch LED TV (4K UHD, P5 Engine, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, HDR 10+, Freeview Play, Compatible with Alexa, Android TV)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089NFB2KF/?coliid=I1F638PWAYN7WV&colid=LIA2E7GQ97XL&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_itspacer.png

Edited by imavillan
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Depends what you are after and what it's for. Just general tv watching, gaming, watching through Sky Q, Virgin or BT......and then there's what size?

This has a good spec and at a good price at £679

(look back a couple of pages and see that @blandy is happy with his)

Philips Ambilight 65PUS8545/12 65-Inch LED TV (4K UHD, P5 Engine, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, HDR 10+, Freeview Play, Compatible with Alexa, Android TV)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089NFB2KF/?coliid=I1F638PWAYN7WV&colid=LIA2E7GQ97XL&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_itspacer.png

Just want a basic smart TV to watch stuff on. 

Not sure we'd need 65 inches but will take a look. Thanks 

• 5 weeks later...
On 21/07/2021 at 15:42, MellbergsBeard said:

Looking to spend about 700£ on tv to be mainly used for ps5 and watching football and movies, I love the idea of the ambilight, don’t wthink I’d get the best use of of Ps5 on it though?

U can get the 55 CX for £900 at Costco I believe. If you can stretch then it’s genuinely the best tv for the ps5

• Like 2

7 hours ago, omariqy said:

U can get the 55 CX for £900 at Costco I believe. If you can stretch then it’s genuinely the best tv for the ps5

That's what I've got and can vouch for it being a stunning TV, not just for gaming but viewing too.  With Dolby Vision and Atmos built in, things like Netflix and Prime Video are 1st class. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Danny Ings gets signed and ten minutes later my trusty 2014 LG OLED went poof.  :(

Time to go hunting. Those Sony panels look tasty

edit: And it sprung into life again?? That saves me a grand...for now

Edited by Tegis

And it broke again. I am narrowing down the replacements to:

LG OLED55CX6

and

Sony Bravia KD-55A85

Going to check them out tomorrow. Sony runs Android and LG has HDMI 2.1. Hmmmm

There was nothing between them. And as I run everything through Chromecast or AppleTV anyway the OS doesn't matter much. So I went with the LG for the HDMI-2.1.

One thing though, the LG sure phones home A LOT. I blocked it in the firewall

• 1 month later...
On 08/08/2021 at 18:30, Tegis said:

There was nothing between them. And as I run everything through Chromecast or AppleTV anyway the OS doesn't matter much. So I went with the LG for the HDMI-2.1.

One thing though, the LG sure phones home A LOT. I blocked it in the firewall

How you feel about you're choice now?

I'm thinking about getting a new set, nout wrong with mine really, just fancy treating myself. Mine is 5/6 Yr old lg 49" 4k uhd. Went for LG back then because felt the OS and magic remote blew the rest away. Now reading that android might be a little better  now over the lg and Samsung OS. 

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

How you feel about you're choice now?

I'm thinking about getting a new set, nout wrong with mine really, just fancy treating myself. Mine is 5/6 Yr old lg 49" 4k uhd. Went for LG back then because felt the OS and magic remote blew the rest away. Now reading that android might be a little better  now over the lg and Samsung OS. 

I can't vouch for the OS as I don't use it. I did try Netflix and Viaplay (nordic subscription thing) and they are so much worse to use with a remote or a magic thingy. Chromecast and AppleTV are miles ahead in usability. Android might be a bit better and it almost certainly will have Chromecast built in.

The panel is faultless though, and the sound is surprisingly competent for a flat-screen. Fine for the odd youtube and sports broadcast. If movies and immersive sound is of importance you will always need a separate setup. I have a home theatre for that so the TV-speaker is fine for my use. The Sony uses the same panel but with their own processing. It might be better but I couldn't tell the difference.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I can't vouch for the OS as I don't use it. I did try Netflix and Viaplay (nordic subscription thing) and they are so much worse to use with a remote or a magic thingy. Chromecast and AppleTV are miles ahead in usability. Android might be a bit better and it almost certainly will have Chromecast built in.

The panel is faultless though, and the sound is surprisingly competent for a flat-screen. Fine for the odd youtube and sports broadcast. If movies and immersive sound is of importance you will always need a separate setup. I have a home theatre for that so the TV-speaker is fine for my use. The Sony uses the same panel but with their own processing. It might be better but I couldn't tell the difference.

Never used chromecast or apple TV. Is there a basic remote with them or control through your phone.

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

Never used chromecast or apple TV. Is there a basic remote with them or control through your phone.

AppleTV has a remote, it uses a trackpad for your thumb to move around. Works very well. The downside is typing text and Siri is pretty useless.

Chromecast is only for phone/tablet/laptop use. You browse your app or webpage on your device and when you start the media you want to consume you press a button the send that stream to the chromecast. AppleTV has that type of functionality as well but in true apple style it only works from apple devices. Chromecast is os-independent.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Never used ….apple TV. Is there a basic remote with them or control through your phone.

I’ve got an Apple TV and yeah, simple remote with voice control or use iPhone. Works great and picture quality in UHD stuff is ossum.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tegis said:

AppleTV has a remote, it uses a trackpad for your thumb to move around. Works very well. The downside is typing text and Siri is pretty useless.

If you have an iPhone then you can use it as the remote which is extremely helpful when you need to type.

I love AppleTV for what it is. Very smooth and far quicker than most other interfaces that provide streaming services

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If you have an iPhone then you can use it as the remote which is extremely helpful when you need to type.

I love AppleTV for what it is. Very smooth and far quicker than most other interfaces that provide streaming services

I'm not sure why"quicker" is important for a set top box. I use "Chromecast with Google TV" and have bought many as gifts.  Works with many streaming services (including Apple TV) and surfaces content from them all in the browsing section, side by side,. Search works across all integrated services.

3 hours ago, limpid said:

I'm not sure why"quicker" is important for a set top box. I use "Chromecast with Google TV" and have bought many as gifts.  Works with many streaming services (including Apple TV) and surfaces content from them all in the browsing section, side by side,. Search works across all integrated services.

Most smart TV interfaces I’ve used for Netflix, YouTube etc are clunky and slow to type, scroll through videos, search etc. It’s like having a massive lag on your tv

Apple TV is smooth and instant. It’s very important to me. 

Ive not used chromecast with google tv but if that’s smooth and quick as well then great

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Most smart TV interfaces I’ve used for Netflix, YouTube etc are clunky and slow to type, scroll through videos, search etc. It’s like having a massive lag on your tv

Apple TV is smooth and instant. It’s very important to me. 

Ive not used chromecast with google tv but if that’s smooth and quick as well then great

It's Android so I've pimped mine by reducing the animation multiplier and dialled down the multitasking (as it isn't needed). All the screen renders are pretty much instant.

If you need animations and need them to be quick, then I agree that  you need to pay for it.

Â