New TV advice

CVByrne

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Anyone bought a new TV recently? 

I need to upgrade my Sony TV which has served me well but I'm thinking of shifting to Samsung 4k 55".

Does anyone have a Samsung?

Bought one two years ago or so ... 55 inch and a whole bunch of characters. I'm a low-end user ... but it does pretty much what I expect. What was tricky, was finding a keyboard that was compatible with the Samsung. Eventually found a cheap one ... but the keyboard is not great.

1 minute ago, fruitvilla said:

Bought one two years ago or so ... 55 inch and a whole bunch of characters. I'm a low-end user ... but it does pretty much what I expect. What was tricky, was finding a keyboard that was compatible with the Samsung. Eventually found a cheap one ... but the keyboard is not great.

OK, is there an Android app that syncs the TV to phone?

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

OK, is there an Android app that syncs the TV to phone?

No idea ... like I said I'm a low-end user. My TV is connected to the internet so have no need to connect to my phone. 

But it would appear so ...Connect Your Smartphone with Samsung Smart TV | Samsung Levant

The SmartThings app is all you need to connect your mobile to your TV.
It’s simple.

I will have to try it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Do not buy one of these....

Buy Hitachi 58 Inch 58HK6200U Smart 4K UHD HDR LED Freeview TV | Televisions | Argos

It's cheap as hell yes, but the picture quality is awful, even through HDMI (apple TV from a PS4 was akin to watching a vhs)... I was just lucky I ended up with a white spot after a month that started growing and took it back and ended up getting a much more expensive LG instead.

Just sayin'

I'll shortly be in the market for (another) new TV. House move means I get an office/man cave and the consoles are going in there.

Current TV will stay in the lounge so I need a new one.

Anyone got any suggestions for an OLED TV, at least 50 inch, that will primarily be used for gaming? 
I guess OLED isn't essential, but it's a nice to have

Mid range sort of budget. Don't want to be spending loads but willing to not go for the bargain basement

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Anyone got any suggestions for an OLED TV, at least 50 inch, that will primarily be used for gaming? 

One place to research might be https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/tvs/best-48-49-and-50-inch-tvs

As an added incentive we also loved its gaming features. Unlike a lot of sets in this size bracket, the C2 features four HDMI 2.1 sockets with support for  4K/120Hz gaming, VRR and ALLM. In other words, it is fully equipped to take advantage of all the PS5 and Xbox Series X’s next-generation features, and the gaming performance was flawless during our tests. 

Read our full LG C2 review

• Thanks 1

We have a C2, It was the natural successor to our previous midrange LG, which I'd come back to liking after it clocked up a dozen years. Would still have it if the PSU hadn't failed. I had been pissed off with it because LG stopped updating the OS on a supposedly future proof' set too soon for my liking.

Super brief C2 review.

Good - Picture 

Bad - 4K Freeview is on the way. Currently the C2 can't deal with it, but the new C3 can.

Bad (for some) - It's super nosey at full functionality. The 'free' software that drives everything wants a lot of permissions, and this is a device with a microphone in the set and remote. I've denied it web access for now, but updated the OS by USB stick. We're streaming via the computer and its various blockers.

Just so you know - Had to change my once nice 4K HDMI cables to get HDR10 and Dolby Vision.to work from the media player. I went straight to 8K.

Also the USB C to HDMI convertor for the laptop failed to deliver HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Apple recommends a £50 Belkin :D Cable Matters say £20.

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'll shortly be in the market for (another) new TV. House move means I get an office/man cave and the consoles are going in there.

Current TV will stay in the lounge so I need a new one.

I guess OLED isn't essential, but it's a nice to have

Mid range sort of budget. Don't want to be spending loads but willing to not go for the bargain basement

LG 48 OR 55 C1/C2 can be had for decent money at the moment, worth setting up an alert on Hot UK Deals.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As good as the LG Oled are specially for gaming & I was very close to buying one but had to go with the Panasonic Oled as I love my movies, still has all the 120 frame rate & 2.1 hdmi ports but for Movies it's spectacular for reference picture quality. Absolutely love it, I get if it's for just gaming then I get the the LG Oleds are the go to TV & alot less than the Panasonic Oleds 

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking about getting a new smart TV in the upcoming sales (if there's any decent deals). 

Would appreciate any advice people can offer (threads not been bumped in 5 month's so not sure how upto date the above is).

14 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm thinking about getting a new smart TV in the upcoming sales (if there's any decent deals). 

Would appreciate any advice people can offer (threads not been bumped in 5 month's so not sure how upto date the above is).

we need some help to help you....

size, budget, whats the main use, any particular brands you are partial to, OLED?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, imavillan said:

we need some help to help you....

size, budget, whats the main use, any particular brands you are partial to, OLED?

No preference to any brands (had budget and premium before).

Size, the current TV is 32" but have room for a bigger TV so that'd be good. I wouldn't want anything too big though (like 60/70") as that'd be a jarring jump up.

It's used for streamline TV. No gaming or anything and occasionally watching terrestrial (via apps) or trying to find a Villa game online.

Budget isn't a massive issue if the TV is good value. I've not bought a TV in about 10 years (use a Firestick at the moment) so not sure how much they cost. I could go to £1,000/1,500 but that feels like overkill for what I need (does £500 get a decent TV that'll last a while?).

No ideas about OLED or High Dev etc. Just want to upgrade the TV to something half decent, really, but technology has moved on massively since I last looked and I've no ideas where to start or what's worth having.

19 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Size, the current TV is 32" but have room for a bigger TV so that'd be good. I wouldn't want anything too big though (like 60/70") as that'd be a jarring jump up.

It's used for streamline TV. No gaming or anything and occasionally watching terrestrial (via apps) or trying to find a Villa game online.

Budget isn't a massive issue if the TV is good value. I've not bought a TV in about 10 years (use a Firestick at the moment) so not sure how much they cost. I could go to £1,000/1,500 but that feels like overkill for what I need (does £500 get a decent TV that'll last a while?).

No ideas about OLED or High Dev etc. Just want to upgrade the TV to something half decent, really, but technology has moved on massively since I last looked and I've no ideas where to start or what's worth having.

It's like anything really, you get what you pay for.

That said, if you've not had a new tv for over 10 years then you'll definitely notice the difference for the better as, yes, technology has moved on.

I would suggest a 50'' and i would also suggest using either Richer Sounds or John Lewis as RS gives a 6 year warranty and JL gives a 5 year warranty.

I have an LG OLED which is five years old and it's been great and it's interface and remote are very user friendly and simple to use.

I would spend a little extra for the better quality tv, i would look at the LG 50QNED816RE @699 - LG OLED48A26LA @799 or the Samsung QE50Q80C @799 

The picture quality on the LG OLED is superb, but i'm slightly biased to LG as i own one.

I'm in the market myself for an 85'' inch and i keep being drawn to another LG as i've been happy with what i've had.

But, you'll get similar response's from Sony, Samsung, Panasonic owners.

Ultimately it's your choice as it's your money, but as i've mentioned, spend a little extra for the better quality tv and you won't regret it.

Hope that helps and good luck with what ever you end up buying

Edited by imavillan
sausage fingers typo
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

LG 48C1/2 or 3. The end.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Had a bit of a result with John Lewis. My LG48C1 was getting overly warm and a few dead pixels formed. It was promptly picked up and after an initial issue they agreed it was a write off and gave me the full value back on a gift card.

Instead of sticking with 48 for the games room I’ve got a 55G2 arriving on Saturday costing me an extra tenner. not bad a bad upgrade for a 2 1/2 year old TV.

• Like 1

Â