New TV advice

CVByrne

On 17/03/2021 at 14:34, imavillan said:

I bought a Philips telly similar-ish to that one, but smaller, and on a price reduction plus an extra 50 quid off and absolutely love it. The ambilight thing is what does it - I mean the picture quality is stunning, especially UHD, but the ambilight just makes the difference.

I'd say the TV guide part, which is some android gubbins isn't as good as the 9/10 year old Sony one was and nor is the record to a USB device part quite as good, as it won't series link - but then again it's got some kind of internet catch up wizardry so I don't need it to be really, but everything else - picture quality, sound, in-built apps, remote and so on - all well worth the upgrade. Chuffed with it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, blandy said:

but the ambilight just makes the difference

Never seen it in action,  how does it contribute so much to the experience ?

Is this the light on the wall behind Telly and this matches the main colour on the screen at the time ?

(How old am i using Telly 😲 ,  i will be calling it the idiots lantern next)

5 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Never seen it in action,  how does it contribute so much to the experience ?

Is this the light on the wall behind Telly and this matches the main colour on the screen at the time ?

(How old am i using Telly 😲 ,  i will be calling it the idiots lantern next)

Yep, that's the thing. 2 sides and the top of the telly (it's fine to call it telly afaik) have LEDs along them, which light up the wall/whatever behind the telly, giving a kind of...I dunno... effect of making the picture more enrapting (is that a word). Like you say you can have the lighting set to match the screen - so for example for a footy game, with green pitch, blue sky the lights will radiate green to the sides and blue above the telly, in synch with the imagery as it changes. But you can also set it to match the sound, or other things - natural/vivid/sport etc..

I'm sure there'll be videos of it on that internet tube thing. But it's really impressive first hand. Also you tell the telly what colour your walls are, and it adjusts the light to compensate/optimise.    

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yep, that's the thing. 2 sides and the top of the telly (it's fine to call it telly afaik) have LEDs along them, which light up the wall/whatever behind the telly, giving a kind of...I dunno... effect of making the picture more enrapting (is that a word). Like you say you can have the lighting set to match the screen - so for example for a footy game, with green pitch, blue sky the lights will radiate green to the sides and blue above the telly, in synch with the imagery as it changes. But you can also set it to match the sound, or other things - natural/vivid/sport etc..

I'm sure there'll be videos of it on that internet tube thing. But it's really impressive first hand. Also you tell the telly what colour your walls are, and it adjusts the light to compensate/optimise.    

Thanks.  I am going to check it out at a mates house.  I am looking at getting a new TV so I can have a PS4/5 TV only in my office.

6 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Thanks.  I am going to check it out at a mates house.  I am looking at getting a new TV so I can have a PS4/5 TV only in my office.

You're welcome. I should add then a couple of things. Firstly I don't have any game boxes or wotnot, so dunno about how the TV works with them. Definitely worth checking that out with your mate - other TVs may be better for that use. But the flip side is I didn't buy the telly for the ambi-light, but because the stand (leg spacing) fitted the existing (small-ish) TV stand and some of the other candidates didn't, so that saved buying a new stand. But had I known how good ambi-light is, I would have chosen it for that, rather than just get lucky. Oh, and in the daytime I turn the Ambilight off, as if the room is bright, it doesn't really make any difference.

10 hours ago, omariqy said:

Anyone got the Samsung q90t?

I just bought the Samsung Q80T 65”.

Its decent, picture quality largely dependant on the input, it’s not going to improve channel 5 for example as they broadcast that in terrible quality.

Looks good when playing 4K or 1080P films though.

The sound is ok, better than my last TV, but still probably needs a soundbar to get some serious sound quality.

50 minutes ago, omariqy said:

It's between that and the LG55CX5LB for me. Just got a ps5 so need to upgrade the TV!

The Q80T has a gaming mode which is mean to reduce lag to the TV or something like that.  It recognises the PS and automatically switches to gaming mode.

1 hour ago, Bob Funkhouse said:

The samsung is a QLED with full array local dimming so it's very bright whilst still being detailed and having good contrast but the LG is an OLED so you're gonna get those great black levels, contrast levels and colour accuracy. 

Both look really good, have hdmi 2.1 and game modes with auto low latency. The Samsung doesn't have dolby vision but then again neither does the ps5. 

Samsung have a good UI with great smart TV support. Apparently the LG doesn't have all the catch up apps Integrated. 

If you're gonna stick it in a big bright family living room maybe the Samsung but I'd probably go OLED. 

Thanks. It is a big living room that gets plenty of light. However, I will be playing on the PS5 mainly in the evenings with no light so OLED sounds better. Also need wider viewing angles

On 23/05/2021 at 00:15, ender4 said:

The Q80T has a gaming mode which is mean to reduce lag to the TV or something like that.  It recognises the PS and automatically switches to gaming mode.

My LG CX does the same and has hdmi 2.1 ports also which mean you can use the 120hz refresh rate on the ps5. 

On 21/05/2021 at 09:09, omariqy said:

Finally gave in and got a PS5 and now need a new TV also. Looking at a 55 inch ideally. Anyone have any recommendations? Currently looking at the LG 55CX5LB

We got a "LG - OLED55CX6LA 55" when we moved house about a month ago now and the picture quality was second to none - was delighted with it... buuuuuut...

A couple of days after putting it on our kitchen wall (2 weeks after buying) a black line appeared down the middle of the screen - I think it is to do with the pixels but other than that I haven't got a clue. Anyway last night it just switched off completely (whilst watching the Villa yoof!) :( 

It is under warranty and we are waiting for an exchange but not in stock for 10-21 days - Probably going to get a refund then purchase the one you are/were looking at - think it's the same model other than ones light silver ones dark - which isn't an issue.

Hoping for better luck next time, because loved the picture quality and will definitely get a bigger OLED for our living room in time.

33 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

We got a "LG - OLED55CX6LA 55" when we moved house about a month ago now and the picture quality was second to none - was delighted with it... buuuuuut...

A couple of days after putting it on our kitchen wall (2 weeks after buying) a black line appeared down the middle of the screen - I think it is to do with the pixels but other than that I haven't got a clue. Anyway last night it just switched off completely (whilst watching the Villa yoof!) :( 

It is under warranty and we are waiting for an exchange but not in stock for 10-21 days - Probably going to get a refund then purchase the one you are/were looking at - think it's the same model other than ones light silver ones dark - which isn't an issue.

Hoping for better luck next time, because loved the picture quality and will definitely get a bigger OLED for our living room in time.

How bright was it? Worried OLED only works well in dark conditions 

36 minutes ago, omariqy said:

It was fairly bright but from the limited time we have watched it, it wasn't a problem and didn't spoil our viewing - and it is positioned in quite a light room with sun coming in thru bi-fold doors with no blinds/curtains - so I wouldn't be put off by that.

I can imagine it would go to another level though in darker conditions.

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

Don't worry about that. It's a measurable difference in brightness between LCD and OLED (which reviewers harp on about) but nothing that you will make out in normal scenarios. I have a panorama window behind me when watching TV and it's plenty bright enough.

Until Mini/Micro LED becomes feasible and mainstream I'd say OLED is the king of panels.

5 hours ago, Tegis said:

Don't worry about that. It's a measurable difference in brightness between LCD and OLED (which reviewers harp on about) but nothing that you will make out in normal scenarios. I have a panorama window behind me when watching TV and it's plenty bright enough.

Until Mini/Micro LED becomes feasible and mainstream I'd say OLED is the king of panels.

Thanks. Gonna try and get it this week!

• 2 weeks later...
Â