January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Height does equal strength it's scientificly proven, with the rare freak of nature.

Why do the best teams in the world have 6ft+ defensive mids then? (Barca have Busquets, Chelsea have Mikel, Bayern have Javi Martínez, ManU have Carrick, Real Madrid have Khedira, ManC have Yaya Toure, Arsenal have Diaby....)

Plus a tall CDM can win headers in defence for us because villa cant defend corners for shit atm.

No, not always. I'm 5'11 but I bet there's a lot of men around that are a lot shorter than me that are easily stronger. Why? Because I'm just not that strong. In general yes the best defensive midfielders tend to be taller but not always. What about Makelele for example?

We know we are still paying for the old shortcomings in the transfer market - and although the singing of Bent may have actually kept us up a couple of years ago, it led to a rise in our salary bill that we couldn't sustain. As a result, we stayed up, but couldn't afford to invest so continue to struggle.

We can't afford to spunk shed-loads on one player, and then not be able to invest next year. Therefore, as much as we might not like it, we need to invest wisely, as we need a few bodies in quickly. What does puzzle me is our seeming inability to tap into the rich seam of French and Spanish players that other teams do.

On the signings of other clubs - do not mistake quality and quantity. Reading have signed 2 players, but no-one really rates either of them. Remy to Newcastle may prove unwise, as he has really gone off the boil I understand. M'Vila (who I would love to sign from what I know of him) is a known arse, and could be a mistake as well. And those who mention MON's signings at Sunderland, I hadn't heard of them, so who knows!

Its not when villa need strength in a CDM/CB

if we buy a CB that isn't 6'3+ then teams will continue to score corners against us.

Both our CBs are 6'3". Winning aerial battles is only partly to do with how tall you are.

It's also a question of good positioning, when you time your jump, and how springy your leap is.

Edited by Con

Reo-Coker on a free would be a start.

At the back, Per Kroldrup is on a free and better than what we have (Vlaar aside).

As for others that would cost nowt, I'm quite sure after a bit of research the following are available...

Albin Ebondo

Matthias Langkamp

Romeo Castelen

Andreas Ibertsberger

Asier del Horno

Zdenek Grygera

Any of them lot are better in their positions than what we already have and would not command a transfer fee.

Both our CBs are 6'3". Winning aerial battles is only partly to do with how tall you are.

It's also a question of good positioning, when you time your jump, and how springy your leap is.

Where did you get that from? Clark is 6ft1 and Baker is 6ft2, the only CB we have that's 6ft3+ is Vlaar (Who is injury prone)

what about these lot, all realistic targets

joey barton ( nasty little shit, but just what we need) = 30k a week, not sure of transfer fee

ashley williams of swansea = 30k a week, 8mill fee

peter whittingham = 26k a week, 7mill fee

tom ince = 30k a week, 6/7 mill fee

Ill say it again, Reo Coker.

Can't possibly demand what we were paying him before.

Better than what we have now.

Once thought to be capable of being our captain.

Sorry but I'd be happy if we announced him tomorrow.