Ashley Young

maqroll

1 minute ago, pete101 said:

Had really good second half, 

Bit concerned about him having to play a 3rd game in a week on Saturday at his age 

yeah i hopefully he gets a lighter training schedule over the next few days

saying that chambers has done fine when he's come on last 2 games

He's been a warrior for us and has exceeded expectations. But tonight he was exposed and every team we play now will target him. He's going to have to really dig in now until Cash is back.

Great he’s still going at his age. But can he keep It up? Barnes gave him a tough time, they were defo targeting that side, and had it not been for the red card, they might have had more luck down that side.

Im curious as to why KKH isn’t on the bench even, surely he could come on and do a job for 10-15 mins? He looked fine when he played for Swindon in that City cup game.

He was done for pace by Barnes (not coincidentally one of the fastest players in the league) but it was also his attacking intent (in the first instance) and nous (in the second) that got the red card. Doubtless he's gassed after his efforts in this short turnaround, and there's no way he'd be doing anything like this if Cash weren't injured. I agree with the above that it would be good to see KKH on the bench if he's not injured, you'd like to think he could give an account of himself for 30 mins against Forest. However I'm not going to second guess this manager. 

He has just played 2 prem games in 4 days at the age of 37.  He could barely walk after Chelsea. The man is an absolute hero that gives his all. He got beat by a Harvey Barnes thst can beat anyone when he is in thr mood. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He has just played 2 prem games in 4 days at the age of 37.  He could barely walk after Chelsea. The man is an absolute hero that gives his all. He got beat by a Harvey Barnes thst can beat anyone when he is in thr mood. 

Agreed here and a real pro fighting and clawing even when the game wasn’t going his way. Cash can’t come back quickly enough. Nightmares of Chambers getting targeted over the top.  

Would take our chances with Chambers against a conservative Forest because next up is Saint-Maximin and we will need Ashley 100% for that one. 

Edited by DJBOB

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

In fairness to him, the Barnes goal was absolute class. A lot of much younger, first choice PL right backs would have been done by that touch

Just said the same in the match thread.  That first touch by Barnes was probably the best he's ever produced.  Would've beaten any fullback.  And the finish was equally inch-perfect.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

In fairness to him, the Barnes goal was absolute class. A lot of much younger, first choice PL right backs would have been done by that touch

Yep. The first touch was perfect. I think most RBs would have been done by that first touch bar maybe Walker/James who would have the pace to possibly recover. But once you're goal side from that angle, it's hard for anyone to.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

The Barnes goal was class- but preventable.  In hindsight Young should have remained compact and allowed Barnes to receive the ball.  He committed and got too close- Barnes had a fabulous first touch and ghosted him.  Young needed to back off and give the respect/cushion to allow Villa to recover on D.  Once he was beat I thought for sure he would grab his jersey and take a yellow- but he let him go.

7 minutes ago, ejs1111 said:

The Barnes goal was class- but preventable.  In hindsight Young should have remained compact and allowed Barnes to receive the ball.  He committed and got too close- Barnes had a fabulous first touch and ghosted him.  Young needed to back off and give the respect/cushion to allow Villa to recover on D.  Once he was beat I thought for sure he would grab his jersey and take a yellow- but he let him go.

Watch it again, Young was already chasing back and was our deepest defender, so I don’t think backing off any further was an option.

He thinks about the shirt pull, but Barnes is on the edge of the box by the time he catches him and he doesn’t want to give away the pen.

Only thing stopping that goal is more pace… someone like Walker probably deals with it, but most don’t. Just a really really good goal (and a great ball by Faes).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Watch it again, Young was already chasing back and was our deepest defender, so I don’t think backing off any further was an option.

He thinks about the shirt pull, but Barnes is on the edge of the box by the time he catches him and he doesn’t want to give away the pen.

Only thing stopping that goal is more pace… someone like Walker probably deals with it, but most don’t. Just a really really good goal (and a great ball by Faes).

I meant backing off by remaining compact and letting Barnes have the ball wide- keep the angle on him so he cannot get around him.  Young did this 2nd half to avoid getting beat with pace.

Oh and yes it was a fabulous goal.

Barnes took the ball at full sprint and knocked it into his own path with one touch, unless you have blistering pace the only way to stop is to cut the ball into him out, get closer to him.

Can't think of many full backs who would have stopped that goal, sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say well done Barnes, Young had a decent game against their best player and one I would love at Villa.

Throwing  Young under the bus for that goal is ridiculous..

• Like 4

Â