Ashley Young

maqroll

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Of course. I thought Young played very well but he was the issue for the goal trying to win a foul(if wasnt Oliver it might have been given) He would probably say the same himself

I've never seen a ref look so pissed off at having to award a goal as him after emi VAR check

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Guy is a hero. Gnonto had the speed and movement but Young eyed him up like I actually wrote that book

And this for me is what makes him such an incredible player. He’s still pacey but he is slower than these young guns. But he reads the game so well it doesn’t even matter. He’s two yards closer to where the ball is going to be before his opponent even starts running. 

He is an absolute top tier footballer.

oh and if he is now a starting XI certainty I think he should be captain. 

Edited by Spoony

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

He’s one of our best players and it’s indisputable. I have now upgraded him in my mind to club legend. 

Yep. How many players in professional football have two successful stints at a club, one at the beginning of the career and one at the end but in two *very* different positions with totally different qualities?

• Like 1

I was watching Ash last night. Beer in hand, pizza ordered after finishing a 60 hour week and I realised after all the talk from Neville and Co, I’m the same age as Ashley Young! 

Looking at him last night I’m not sure we’re the same species! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Powehi said:

Can see him moving to be one of our rightback options now Freddie has gone and Moreno has come in. Love his versatility.

He’s been playing right back and he’s right footed so it’s the more natural position for him. It was his versatility that saw him play left back whilst I assume also influenced by him predominantly playing on the left earlier in his career and whilst an attacker, but that was for different reasons (i.e. cutting in and shooting)

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He’s been playing right back and he’s right footed so it’s the more natural position for him. It was his versatility that saw him play left back whilst I assume also influenced by him predominantly playing on the left earlier in his career and whilst an attacker, but that was for different reasons (i.e. cutting in and shooting)

Yeah I meant more "regular post-WC squad option" - as you say, his versatility has enabled him to play the other flank until we signed someone Unai wanted.

On 14/01/2023 at 10:25, WooJung said:

The vision to play that ball, with that accuracy to Kamara, setting up the counter was glorious. Most players would have either hoofed it blindly or passed it short. Quality 

I thought this as well, can't believe how it hasn't been mentioned more, lofted diagonal through ball, under pressure and set up kamara to charge forward ⏩

• Like 1

On 17/01/2023 at 19:15, Demitri_C said:

Apparently offered  a 1 year extension.

If true earned and well deserved. This guys a absolute hero

Shows you how many players just accept retirement and fall off a cliff aged 32. If you look after yourself in this day and age there's no doubt any pro footballer should be able to play until he's 35 at least. Milner and Young are a good example that just because your 32 doesn't mean your career is over. 

Does he have any coaching badges already? Wouldn't surprise me if he continued onto management. Seemingly a good mentor to the young lads, played all over the pitch so has a good idea of several different positions, and seems a 2nd coach sometimes on the pitch.

21 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Does he have any coaching badges already? Wouldn't surprise me if he continued onto management. Seemingly a good mentor to the young lads, played all over the pitch so has a good idea of several different positions, and seems a 2nd coach sometimes on the pitch.

I've got nothing to back this up but I'm sure hes mentioned having some badges already!

On 19/01/2023 at 14:22, DJBOB said:

He doesnt need to worry about that for at least a decade.  Will carry on going forever. . Just lucky with genetics. He was 9 stone wet through when he joined us the first time.. not built like a footballer at all. And 17 years later he is finally got the physique most would have had at 21. 

• Like 1

It's amazing for me he was our best player under O'Neil and the main reason we were getting regular top 6 finishes and all these years later he's come back and is performing at such a high standard in a different position.

He's certainly a villa legend 

• Like 1

Â