Is "trolling" a international issue?

villa_shere

Was catching up on some news today and i read that Mark Halsey had received some vile abuse via twitter due to his poor performance yesterday.

Halsey Example

Then later I was reading up on my relative Gathan Cheema who was on x-factor yesterday. He is a bit of a fruity character and I can understand why people would rib him a bit. But some of the messages written on twitter were just foul, and make me think why on earth would people write some crap about someone?

Then i got me thinking is this a western problem or is this something which goes on around the world?

It's purely because people's innermost shit is able to be outpoured with any real consequence.

Everyone has nasty, shitty thoughts that stay inside their head. The Internet, and mainly Twitter, allow them to air them.

It's mainly Twitter as it's the most anonymous, but YouTube and Google+ to an extent which have some of it too.

It's a worldwide problem, but mainly concentrated on the people who have the least hope of a good career, or who don't have a lot to lose if they were outed. You see a lot of South Americans and Eastern Europeans also being shitty with no real reason. British chavs are probably the worst though as they have excellent Internet access and no real hope of an enriched life.

Then i got me thinking is this a western problem or is this something which goes on around the world?

Whatever kind of problem all of this is, it shouldn't be a police or criminal problem which appears to be the immediate reaction.

However unpleasant the kinds of comments made to Halsey, Tom Daley and his diving partner and so on, this kind of thing (i.e. simply being offensive) should not necessarily be a matter for criminal investigation or proceedings.

Unfortunately (as with the facebook eejut who posted that he wanted lots of soldiers to die), it now appears that this may not be the case.

Hopefully Starmer can slightly redeem himself by actually sorting this problem out. I shan't hold my breath.

I think we should get back to the good old days, where offensive remarks like this were made across the garden fence, or down the pub, and couldn't be picked up on by the politically correct brigade. Society was so much more open-minded and tolerant in them days.

I don't even understand how they do it without feeling dead inside. I mean, if you're a proper bully you get a reaction and feel good for thumping someone. Internet trolling is just total 'bleh'. Although, like pompey said, your life aspirations must be pretty crap if abusing a 15 year old downs syndrome sufferer with no reply is going the be the best part of the week.

What people are calling 'trolling' these days is just needless abuse. Proper trolling is an art.

I once trolled RedCafe into total mush with a friend. We never posted a single piece of abuse or anything questionable but simply engaged the most aggressive moderators on the site into a distracting discussion - that became the site's hottest topic of conversation for nearly a week. And it was pretty much about nothing.

I do not condone bullying or abuse though. Even with the anonymity of the internet I stand by the authenticity of at least 3% of what I post on message boards. ;)

Simple, really:

bb37-2.jpg

I would debate how 'normal' such arseholes are, TBH.

Pre internet, they simply didn't have the oxygen of publicity/audience. They were still arseholes, but less oft heard.

Now everyone can hear them, and they love it. But these kinds of people have always existed. I'm not sure what the answer is TBH.

Define international issue. What do you actually mean by that?

International, global, worldwide.....

Take the Mark Hasley incident for example, how many of those msgs would have come from scouse/manc fans in China, Africa, Middle East or Far East? Or if not aiming abuse at Mark Halsey a Referee equivalent in their own country. Is it just as common there as it is here?

"Trolling" is losing it's definition as it's popularised, imo.

Tweeting abuse at Halsey isn't trolling. That's just abuse.

Trolling is posting something more subtle to provoke a reaction.

Ok, what was posted at Halsey would have provoked a reaction, but I don't think it's really Trolling.

Â