Is "trolling" a international issue?

villa_shere

Yeah. The way I see it, Trolling is like poking someone over and over until they (or someone else) lashes out and punches you.

Where as this stuff is just walking up to someone and punching them in the face.

What people are calling 'trolling' these days is just needless abuse. Proper trolling is an art.

Pretty much what I was coming on here to write.

I've never trolled anyone on any kind of internet platform, but I do find the odd spot of trolling quite amusing.

BUT... it has to be well considered and witty, not just abusive.

The only solution I can think of is removing the aspect of anonymity but I'm not sure how that could be implemented without serious investment in a centralised system wherein all your data is collected and every online action recorded.

It's fair to say that there has always been arseholes and they always look for a platform but I do think the internet breeds a specific culture of unaccountability.

Well that is precisely the solution CED and it's exactly what governments will want to see happen and it's quite obviously where it is all heading. Criminalising mere name-calling is the next step. The removal of anonymity can be done under the guise of protecting you from trolls and of course you can roll out the old 'protecting your kids from online paedos'. I mean who's gonna say no to that eh? The public of course will lap that up as they've done in the past. 80% of whom are of course f**king idiots. In reality it reduces civil liberties, it brings 100% of us under closer scrutiny and all in the name of stopping 1% of people from calling each other names. If it wasn't so transaparent and pathetic it might be funny. If the human race wasn't so utterly stupid I'd have some hope that it wouldn't happen.

You can remove anonymity from casual net users, but the kind of people who abuse anonymity find it trivial to keep hidden.

I can't see any realistic way to remove the ability to be anonymous online, if it's so desired.

Removing anonymity simply isn't desirable. I do question people that so willfully display their lives and opinions online (facebook, twitter etc). I think it's stupid and can be very harmful if you're not extremely careful. It's impossible to not leave some sort of 'footprint' but the best action is to at least minimise it.

I'm not sure if anonymity is so desirable in a world were online/real world is more and more interconnected.

People have a right to privacy and anonymity does give people a chance to... have a platform to express themselves which they would otherwise lack in real life for various reasons, be they social anxieties etc.

I'm just trying to find a good middle ground that caters for those needs but also provides safety from c*nts.

Tricky buisness. Glad I'm not in charge.

To me it isn't much different to standing in a crowd of football fans and chanting something offensive (Sol Campbell style). The people who do it do it because they have no fear of consequence.

I dunno, social media isn't for famous people really. They are only exposed to the views and opinions of people who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to express them. As much as they don't deserve the abuse, if they expect a social media environment without it, they're being incredibly naive. If I walked down my street, and everyone called me a word removed, I wouldn't call the police. I'd move house. Where more than likely I'd still be considered a massive word removed.

Also just to add to what other's have said, I always understood an internet 'troll' to be someone like GlastonSpur. Inoffensive, but a pain in the arse. 'Troll' has been misused by the media and the term has stuck.

I don't think there is a sweeter pleasure than seeing a 'troll' get called out in real life for what he has typed online. I read earlier on in the thread that this used to be the stuff of 'shouting over garden fences' - I highly doubt a large majority of the highly offensive bile that has been illustrated on Twitter in recent times was ever said in that context.

Â