Is "trolling" a international issue?

villa_shere

A simple post of "didn't read it" after someone posts a really serious or heartfelt message on a forum is the ultimate troll.

Rage in 3 words

I prefer tl:dr ;)

I have trolled a lot of people on a lot of websites, but I have never threatened anyone, never abused anyone and never got personal with anyone. I've also only ever targeted the people who clearly need knocking down a peg or two - genuine internet bullies make great trolling targets.

Trolling to me was generating arguments for other people to continue, and arguing the exact opposite of your opponent's opinion, regardless of your own opinion on any subject. To troll effectively, you've got to leave all your beliefs at the door.

You've got to be prepared to argue things you know are stupid, like "it doesn't get dark at the end of the day". A good troll will never provide any information to back up an argument - the best arguments are the ones which make absolutely no sense. If you can find an internet bully and engage them in a discussion where they will spend hours and hours trying to maintain their pedestal of dominance in front of their peers, while you just shoot their arguments down, you can have tremendous fun.

It's not about bullying and it's not about personal abuse. That's not trolling, that is just bullying.

The public of course will lap that up as they've done in the past. 80% of whom are of course f**king idiots.

I demand to see your source for that statistic. I believe the figure is closer to 95%...

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/08/april-jones-teenager-jailed-facebook

A man who posted "despicable" comments on his Facebook page about the missing five-year-old April Jones has been jailed for 12 weeks.

Matthew Woods, 19, from Chorley, Lancashire, made derogatory posts about April and missing Madeleine McCann after getting the idea from Sickipedia, a website that "trades in sick jokes".

Among his comments was: "I woke up this morning in the back of a transit van with two beautiful little girls, I found April in a hopeless place." Another read: "Who in their right mind would abduct a ginger kid?"

Others stated: "I love April Jones" and "Could have just started the greatest Facebook argument ever. April Fools, Who Wants Maddie?"

He also wrote comments of a sexually explicit nature about April, who went missing last week from near her home in Machynlleth, mid-Wales.

Woods, who is unemployed, was arrested for his own safety on Saturday night and was remanded in custody before his appearance at Chorley magistrates court on Monday, where he pleaded guilty to sending a message or other matter that is grossly offensive by means of a public electronic communications network.

The chairman of the bench, Bill Hudson, said Woods's comments were so serious and "abhorrent" that he deserved the longest sentence they could pass, less a third, to give credit for his early guilty plea.

Hudson said: "We have listened to the evidence in what can only be described as a disgusting and despicable crime and the bench finds was completely abhorrent. The words and references used to the current case in Wales and that of the missing girl in Portugal are nothing less than shocking, so much so that no right-thinking person in society should have communicated to them such fear and distress."

He added that families involved in such cases should not have to be subjected to this type of misuse of social media.

Only a custodial term in a young offender institute was appropriate, Hudson said, which was greeted by applause from about 30 people in the public gallery.

He added: "The reason for the sentence is the seriousness of the offence, the public outrage that has been caused, and we felt there was no other sentence this court could have passed which conveys to you the abhorrence that many in society feel this crime should receive."

Woods smirked as members of the public clapped as he was led from the dock.

So a man has been jailed for saying bad things on Facebook. I'm sure I've read similar types of jokes posted on VT, let alone Facebook.

Social media is dangerous, you can ruin your life in a few taps of a keyboard. I don't feel sympathy for the accused, he did something stupid, but I do wonder whether what he did was simply distasteful rather than criminal. If he harassed the family or friends of the missing children, then the case would be entirely different, but it's not clear whether he did this or just posted on his own feed for his friends to look at.

I dunno, the lines are getting blurry. I didn't know being a complete word removed was a crime.

Â