• El Ahmadi
    • Bannan
    • Bent
    • Holman
    • Weimann
    • Westwood (for Ireland 70)
    • Benteke (for Weimann 70)
    • N'Zogbia (for Holman 78)

Stated in the match thread that i thought we'd lose and i'm going to continue stating the same if it guarantees performances like that. A big thumbs up to the team and manager and long may it continue although i hope that Vlaar doesn't pick up an injury but i suppose we have the classy Dunne in reserve.

Blimey. I'd genuinely forgotten so many things.

I'd forgotten what it was actually like, how it felt, to see a Villa side play with hunger, desire, commitment, passion, teamwork, energy, togetherness, adventure and spirit. I'd forgotten what it was like to see players combine with skill and vision. I'd forgotten completely, that it could be fun, and enjoyable.

At the point I was at, that of "stuff it all, it's just not worth the time and effort and money. The getting up early and sitting on a train" I suddenly remembered, or was forcefully reminded that it used to be good, and that it can be again.

I enjoyed the game not because I knew we'd win, I didn't, even while the game was going on, or because we were better than them, and had better players - we don't. I enjoyed it because I could see we wanted to win, were trying to win, were playing to win and were giving everything.

There are some serious weaknesses - the midfield is played through far too easily, and we're lightweight in places. Some of the passing was a bit slow and off kilter.

But it was just such fun to watch.

Guzan now looks every inch the Prem keeper, Vlaar and Clark were good and played football too. The full backs had energy and skill, Bannan looked a quality player for a whole game, Bent joined in the play, Weimann looks like a natural scorer, Benteke looked a bit of a beast - his hold up play and strength were impressive. Holmann was like Des Bremner and Frank Carrodus - masses of energy and chasing and never giving up.

Ireland was poor, KEA was ordinary, and Bent didn't really get a chance at a goal effort. It was a long way from perfect, but it was enjoyable.

The crowd, after initial and understandable anxiety, was involved in the game more than for a long time.

You can see where we're trying to go and what we're trying to do.

It was lovely.

Fab performance - love how every 50/50 ball ended up at a claret & blue shirt....every bobbling ball came to a claret and blue shirt.

Fantastic - Yeah Swansea had the odd break - but struggled to get out of their own half for long periods.

Despite there early season form - I reckon the Swansea bubble has burst - they looked woeful - would be very surprised if they finish anything like mid table.

Woeful ?? That's a bit OTT

On another day dyers shot would have flown in & graham would have converted his 4 yarder

I think we will play much worse teams

Like I say they caught us on the break. But equally they couldn't get out of there own half for long periods I thought they were very poor yesterday......time will tell

Wow! How good was that? That was the best performance at VP from a Villa team since we beat WHU 3-0 on the opening day of the 2010/11 season under KMac. We passed the ball around superbly, pressed Swansea with hunger and desire to stop them playing, they couldn't get out of their own half at some points in the second half! How refreshing to not sit back on a 1-0 lead and go for a second, there's a lesson to be learned for managers (MON, McLeish) who sit back once you've taken the lead, you've got a much better chance of winning the game if you go for another goal as proved yesterday! Benteke looks like a bargain and I think Bent will benefit from his arrival as well. The subs Lambert made were attacking as well! Sitting back on a lead really isn't in his head at all! More of the same please Villa and I think we will shock a few teams (and "pundits", Mr Savage) this season.

Was not able to watch the game yesterday because i was away camping..

and it was excruciating not knowing what was going on coz i had a feeling we were going to deliver the goods...

when i heard Pat Murphy on 5 live say that Lowton had scored a humdinger i did a full lap around the campsite...

and lets just say the people of Bakewell in Derbyshire now know who Christian Benteke is :)

really nice to read peoples positive comments after a game..seems like we played very well whilst still (understandably) having areas to improve

great stuff

UTV

Haven't had such a good time at a home game since I can't remember when. Yes, it felt like Villa and Villa Park were waking up after a very long slumber. Brilliant.

wasn't at the game as I am living abroad for a year but absolutely buzzing with the result and reading all the positive comments on here. reminds me of the early stages of MON's villa career after a few dreary seasons people were proud to have their villa back. onwards and upwarcs, lets hope this is the start of a Lamberty dynasty.

Anyone know a link to see the highlights (the match of the day or similar length?). Footytube for some reason doesn't have it and the only highlights I've been able to find are just a couple of minutes just showing the goals. I was banking on watching Match of the Day on iPlayer, but it's just saying it's unavailable :-/

from what i have seen i reckon gabby and benteke will be our best strike partnership

bent just doesnt have gabbys pace and benteke will be all about the flick ons and through balls but until hes fully fit i expect to see a lot of rotation.

great thhat we have 4 decent strikers for a change

Fab performance - love how every 50/50 ball ended up at a claret & blue shirt....every bobbling ball came to a claret and blue shirt.

Fantastic - Yeah Swansea had the odd break - but struggled to get out of their own half for long periods.

Despite there early season form - I reckon the Swansea bubble has burst - they looked woeful - would be very surprised if they finish anything like mid table.

I think we made them look woeful.

Yeah they weren't good, but they've been pretty good in their other games so far.

I think we just played the way you have to play against them, and when you do that they can't handle it and look poor.

Heard over the weekend that Lambert has beaten Swansea in 8 of the 9 times he's faced them as a manager, so he clearly knows how to beat them.

Â