• El Ahmadi
    • Bannan
    • Bent
    • Holman
    • Weimann
    • Westwood (for Ireland 70)
    • Benteke (for Weimann 70)
    • N'Zogbia (for Holman 78)

Excellent performance, sun, atmosphere and winning; what's not to like?....

agree with your ratings OBE except i think you are very harsh on bent. there were a few couple of wtf moments with his touch and passing but overall he messed up no more attacks than anyone else. he could have had at least 2 assists (he set benteke up for an absolute sitter). his movement was good, he challenged for headers, ran channels etc.

for some reason lambert is playing him as the deeper striker and having weimann play off him which im not sure works. i think bent playing off benteke could work really well, it looked good in the 20 minutes we saw at the end.

overall very pleased and the atmosphere seems much improved, great to hear VP rocking at the end. there also seems to be an excellent team spirit. thats down to lambert. what was most pleasing is that we comfortably beat swansea and yet were actually quite sloppy at times with the ball. i think there is easily room for further improvement.

Excellent performance, sun, atmosphere and winning; what's not to like?

Guzan - 8 - An absolutely fantastic save in the first half and a really good solid performance throughout. He's staying in the team.

Lowton - 8 - Bang. Great goal and another solid performance. He looks a good un.

Clark - 7 - Needs to wise up a bit on those rash challenges and keep out of the book, but he looked solid enough.

Vlaar - 8 - Big. Big fella, big heart, brave - it was an excellent performance today and if he keeps this up, he can join a long and famous list of CB's we have loved. Oo ah indeed.

Lichaj - 7 - Did nothing wrong, and sometimes for a defender that's more than enough.

Ireland and Bannan - 7 - Both ticked along very nicely, moved the ball about and helped us tick - they're quite similar in some ways, but oddly enough they seem to be at their best when they're together.

El Ahmadi - 7 - Not quite up to the promise he's shown so far, but he had another good game and he fits right in.

Holman - 8 - Probably the least talented on the ball of our midfield quartet - you can overcome that though if you're the Tazmanian devil. Took the lead whenever they had the ball. This bloke works so hard it's difficult to believe he's Australian.

Weimann - 7 - Busy and sharp, be nice to see him score again, but he works defenders and he's always available for the ball.

Bent - 5 - Very often our moves broke down on him and I think he was lucky to stay on for ninety. We play with hustle and with quickness of mind and quickness of feet; Bent's a classy finisher, but I'm not sure he currently merits a starting place.

subs.

Westwood - ? - Unfortunately for him, the other sub kinda took the eye and I'm afraid I don't remember much of him. Sorry.

Benteke - 8 - Bustling, big and a real presence. He's got an excellent touch too and he seems to hold on to the ball very well. Missed a sitter and scored on his debut - a fine twenty minute introduction, can we see more please?

Nzogbia - 7 - Seemed to enjoy himself and seems to like the idea of aiming balls at Benteke. That might work you know.

The ref, Lee Mason was shoddy and more than a little unpredictable in his card distribution, can we see him less please?

And finally, a word for Nathan Dyer who capped his ninety minutes of niggling and moaning with an absolutely shameful dive in our box; that word is prick.

EXACTLY This.

I voted Holman MOTM for his workrate alone. His first touch can be sloppy, but he's not a headless chicken. He linked up play well at times, at others he was just a thorn in Swansea's side!

To add to your word on Nathan Dyer. I absolutely loved watching Concrete Ron angrily tower over him after he dived. I'm really hoping that's on Match of the Day later!

Ooh Ahh Ron Vlaar!

Agree with most but must say Clark was brilliant. Apart from his yellow, he read everything and was assured at the back. Snuffed out any attack Swansea had along with Vlaar. If Holman could add a little bit more quality to his game he would be a brilliant player. Benteke finally gave us a presence up to which allowed us to play some good football. Him and Bent linked up well.

Just back from Villa Park and I'm absolutely buzzing. Fantastic team effort today and a great game of football. Delighted with the win and the performance against good opposition.

Holmans work rate is unbelievable, Vlaar is an absolute rock and great to have a vocal natural leader on the pitch. They all played well today. Guzans one save was world class, if joe hart had done that they'd be playing it over & over again. My MoM is Holman, was a bit worried when he went off for Zog but it all worked out.

Quick mention to the Swansea fans, full marks for their respect to the 19th minute.

Guzan - 8 - An absolutely fantastic save in the first half and a really good solid performance throughout. He's staying in the team.

Lowton - 8 - Bang. Great goal and another solid performance. He looks a good un.

Clark - 7 - Needs to wise up a bit on those rash challenges and keep out of the book, but he looked solid enough.

Vlaar - 8 - Big. Big fella, big heart, brave - it was an excellent performance today and if he keeps this up, he can join a long and famous list of CB's we have loved. Oo ah indeed.

Lichaj - 7 - Did nothing wrong, and sometimes for a defender that's more than enough.

Ireland and Bannan - 7 - Both ticked along very nicely, moved the ball about and helped us tick - they're quite similar in some ways, but oddly enough they seem to be at their best when they're together.

El Ahmadi - 7 - Not quite up to the promise he's shown so far, but he had another good game and he fits right in.

Holman - 8 - Probably the least talented on the ball of our midfield quartet - you can overcome that though if you're the Tazmanian devil. Took the lead whenever they had the ball. This bloke works so hard it's difficult to believe he's Australian.

Weimann - 7 - Busy and sharp, be nice to see him score again, but he works defenders and he's always available for the ball.

Bent - 5 - Very often our moves broke down on him and I think he was lucky to stay on for ninety. We play with hustle and with quickness of mind and quickness of feet; Bent's a classy finisher, but I'm not sure he currently merits a starting place.

subs.

Westwood - ? - Unfortunately for him, the other sub kinda took the eye and I'm afraid I don't remember much of him. Sorry.

Benteke - 8 - Bustling, big and a real presence. He's got an excellent touch too and he seems to hold on to the ball very well. Missed a sitter and scored on his debut - a fine twenty minute introduction, can we see more please?

Nzogbia - 7 - Seemed to enjoy himself and seems to like the idea of aiming balls at Benteke. That might work you know.

The ref, Lee Mason was shoddy and more than a little unpredictable in his card distribution, can we see him less please?

And finally, a word for Nathan Dyer who capped his ninety minutes of niggling and moaning with an absolutely shameful dive in our box; that word is prick.

Mostly agree, especially the Comments for Bent , who I think could do with some time away from the first team. I maybe would have sored Eric higher, but just for that one foul towards the end he stays at 7.

Oh and have you grown a bit Scott?

Superb performance, from start to finish. I went down today to pass my verdict on Lamber's Villa and under this man I reckon we will go places! The passing was exquisite at times and everyone got stuck in. The only two downers on a great day was Bent's passenger-like display (which I hope the fact that Benteke is around will give hima kick up the ar$e) and the ref, who was atrocious as usual. You could see he was desperate to send someone off.

The fact the crowd picked up a bit in the second half goes to show how a good performance can raise the fans. Today was the first time in about 2 years where I walked away from Villa Park feeling we genunely earned that result.

And as for Savage, well he's going to look foolish at the end of the season. Never amounted to anything as a player, and he wont amound to anything as a pundit either!

At last something to cheer about, fantastic atmosphere at Villa Park once Lowton got us up and running. Everytime the tempo dropped, Holmen would charge in and every other member of the team would step up a gear. Great cheers for Ashley and Benteke. Guzam was immense, great handling, one world class save and the whole team was, well a team. Thats be biggest compliment I can give them after the last few years.

We still can be a bit static at times and Swansea do work the angles very well, but you dont get league points for working angles. Happy days.

Who was playing right mid ? I thought Lowton was left without help a lot, with Angel Rangel & Dyer getting lots of space to run or overlap him.

Graham missed an absolute sitter first half but that came down Lichaj side

Great stuff, especially about 15/20 mins into the second half when everyone seemed to realise we could enjoy ourselves again, at last, great atmosphere from then on.

Holman for me as he epitomised so much and was like an extra man, though close with Vlaar - something powerful happened in that game with him and Guzan, you could feel the bond growing by the minute, terrific stuff.

Also good marks for Bannan, much more like the player we had as youth, KEA put a really good shift in, and Clarke partnered Vlaar well.

Small squad ? How about a subs bench with Gabby, Nzog, Given, Dunne, Bent, Ireland ? A possibility at times later this year - don't sound too bad to me !!

subs.

Mostly agree, especially the Comments for Bent , who I think could do with some time away from the first team. I maybe would have sored Eric higher, but just for that one foul towards the end he stays at 7.

Oh and have you grown a bit Scott?

:shock:

Bent played well today, our best moves often involved him. He worked hard and ran the channels well. He also put one on a plate for Benteke, to criticise him today is unfair.

Infact for the first time in a long time I dont think any of the players can be criticised I thought they all deserved a 7/10 apart from Vlaar who I would give an 8 to.

I also think a Bent/Benteke pairing could be very useful especially with Nzogbia/Gabby providing some pace too

Â