• El Ahmadi
    • Bannan
    • Bent
    • Holman
    • Weimann
    • Westwood (for Ireland 70)
    • Benteke (for Weimann 70)
    • N'Zogbia (for Holman 78)

That was **** brilliant. I honestly cannot remember the last time I've been up to Villa Park and seen us play so well. Everyone was at the very least good. We were passing and attacking well, and it was very refreshing to see us being the team on the front foot despite being 1-0 up. Vlaar got my MOTM. This man is something else. Rock at the back but also very classy and can play it out of defence calmly. In truth though everyone was excellent. Lowton took his goal really well, Guzan was just brilliant and Holman never stopped running. He may not have the quality of some of the other players around him but the energy he brings to the team is invaluable. Benteke getting a goal on his debut was wonderful, and I thought he linked up well with Bent.

Fantastic performance, fantastic result and I'm proud of every single one of them.

Just a few observations from a cracking day

So glad I moved season ticket to L8 great atmosphere today

Lambert spends most of the game kicking every ball with the team :)

Holmans work rate is exceptional

Vlaar is a beast, what a great signing

Very nice not to dread going to the Villa anymore

The best thing for me though that epitomised today was I noticed Lowton on the big screen just after he scored his first PL goal run back to his position put his fingers to temples and tell everyone to concentrate.

Well done Villa

What a **** huge difference to the Everton game!

Holman was fantastic, Guzan Vlaar and Lowton not far behind.

As for the new guy Benteke...he looked awesome in that 20 minutes.

Things are looking amazingly upbeat!

To beat Swansea today is a massive result. They have been flying and could have gone top today. It was a close game, they gave us plenty to worry about but Vlaar and his defence along with Guzan did a fine job for us!

We played as a team today and carried on some fine work from last week at Newcastle. The way we kept pressing on for the second is a pure sign of how PL sends us out - to win. It was refreshing to have options on the bench today and with Dunne and Marc still to return this should only make us stronger.

Great to see Benteke score on his debut - lovely neat lob over the keeper. He strikes me as a sort who may miss a sitter (bit like he did from Bent's headed cross) but also have some class (i.e. the goal) But you don't get into the Belgian squad unless you've got some raw talent which he has. He's our Balotelli. Excited to see more of him.

Today I feel like I have my AVFC back. Positive and proud.

Excellent performance, sun, atmosphere and winning; what's not to like?

Guzan - 8 - An absolutely fantastic save in the first half and a really good solid performance throughout. He's staying in the team.

Lowton - 8 - Bang. Great goal and another solid performance. He looks a good un.

Clark - 7 - Needs to wise up a bit on those rash challenges and keep out of the book, but he looked solid enough.

Vlaar - 8 - Big. Big fella, big heart, brave - it was an excellent performance today and if he keeps this up, he can join a long and famous list of CB's we have loved. Oo ah indeed.

Lichaj - 7 - Did nothing wrong, and sometimes for a defender that's more than enough.

Ireland and Bannan - 7 - Both ticked along very nicely, moved the ball about and helped us tick - they're quite similar in some ways, but oddly enough they seem to be at their best when they're together.

El Ahmadi - 7 - Not quite up to the promise he's shown so far, but he had another good game and he fits right in.

Holman - 8 - Probably the least talented on the ball of our midfield quartet - you can overcome that though if you're the Tazmanian devil. Took the lead whenever they had the ball. This bloke works so hard it's difficult to believe he's Australian.

Weimann - 7 - Busy and sharp, be nice to see him score again, but he works defenders and he's always available for the ball.

Bent - 5 - Very often our moves broke down on him and I think he was lucky to stay on for ninety. We play with hustle and with quickness of mind and quickness of feet; Bent's a classy finisher, but I'm not sure he currently merits a starting place.

subs.

Westwood - ? - Unfortunately for him, the other sub kinda took the eye and I'm afraid I don't remember much of him. Sorry.

Benteke - 8 - Bustling, big and a real presence. He's got an excellent touch too and he seems to hold on to the ball very well. Missed a sitter and scored on his debut - a fine twenty minute introduction, can we see more please?

Nzogbia - 7 - Seemed to enjoy himself and seems to like the idea of aiming balls at Benteke. That might work you know.

The ref, Lee Mason was shoddy and more than a little unpredictable in his card distribution, can we see him less please?

And finally, a word for Nathan Dyer who capped his ninety minutes of niggling and moaning with an absolutely shameful dive in our box; that word is prick.

EXACTLY This.

I voted Holman MOTM for his workrate alone. His first touch can be sloppy, but he's not a headless chicken. He linked up play well at times, at others he was just a thorn in Swansea's side!

To add to your word on Nathan Dyer. I absolutely loved watching Concrete Ron angrily tower over him after he dived. I'm really hoping that's on Match of the Day later!

Ooh Ahh Ron Vlaar!

All of This! ^

I love Lambert's motions too! To jumping on the pitch, pumping his fist at the Benteke goal, to chucking his bottle of water in anger and crouching, holding his head when we nearly concede! ♥

This result was in the pipeline after the Newcastle game, which we also played outstanding in.

It felt fantastic walking out of Villa Park after a positive 90 minutes in what must have been the best home game in more than two years of hell.

I've seen some over-reactions on here already - people comparing PL to Sir Alex, and calling him "world class" - but after what we've been through the last two seasons I think it is understandable.

Bent played well today, as he did at Newcastle. Someone (presumably PL) has given him a kick up the backside and he is responding. Far more involved today and did some very positive things.

Holman is simply a machine - he is not human the amount of running he does. Mo Farah would be proud of that!

Guzan, Ireland, Bannan, Ohh Ahh Ron Vlaar, and Lowton - all played really well too.

All of our new signings look good and how nice is it to buy a fairly expensive striker and for him to play really well on his home debut and score a goal?! Fantastic and more to the point: exciting.

We now have players fighting for places and that can only be a good thing as long as PL sticks to his ethic of play well and you're in, play poorly and you're out.

I'm not expecting big things this season - I would be so happy to keep playing this entertaining football and for us to finish around mid-table, without the stress of relegation. If we keep playing like the last two games, we will have a far better season and can finally start looking up, rather than down.

Fair play to Swansea also for joining in with the 19th minute ovation. Huge respect to them.

Up the Villa!

I can't be bothered to write out everything I could say about the performance.

To summarise, we were quality. I laughed at whoever suggested we'd dominate Swansea in the match thread, but we did. Comfortably the better team and deserved to win by more.

Some comments on players

Lowton's going to be a good player. Still makes mistakes, but that will come with experience.

Guzan did brilliantly. He'll be in goal all season if he keeps that up.

Vlaar, solid at the back. Still struggles with distribution I think, but he's a hero already. Some great runs too.

El Ahmadi and Ireland both didn't have great games in my opinion.

Holman, I think he's a bit like Dirk Kuyt. Not a great player technically, but he runs himself into the ground and it works for him. Can never fault his effort.

Benteke, looked unplayable. Really physical and he's going to be a great option for us.

Westwood, solid when he came on. Played deep and put some really good challenges in. Also, my mate and I were watching him warm up at half time. His touch is incredible. Benteke was pinging balls at him, hard, from about 40 yards away and Westwood was cushioning them first time with ease and pinging them straight back without the ball even hitting the ground. Only a warm up obviously but he's certainly got technique. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him

north stand was rocking today, Took a little while for us to find our voices as Swansea started the brighter but lower north was loud in the second half.

Concrete Ron was my MOTM but was a solid all round display, thought Bent did well in a role he isn`t used too, Looks like he is the target man atm and wieman was playing off him.

Was disappointed on way out to hear that some Fans not our own i may add was starting on the Swansea fans, apparently Fans who was banned from Travelling with England to europe. I can`t back this claim up, is just what i was hearing on coach back

**** loved it, I was nervous the whole game but I think that was because of last season rubbish and seeing Villa still trying to score another goal and not sitting back waiting for the inevitable to happen with the opposition scoring was something I had almost forgotten.

Vlaar was my MOM but big pluses for Clarke, Lowton and The one man marathon Holman who were all superb.

How on earth did Villa nearly lose Guzan? oh and about time wee Barry, where have you been? welcome back.

At last the future looks bright, I have no expectations of winning any silver wear (although it would be great) but what I do want is to witness Villa playing football in the manner and for that I would also like to thank Paul Lambert.

Excellent performance, sun, atmosphere and winning; what's not to like?

Guzan - 8 - An absolutely fantastic save in the first half and a really good solid performance throughout. He's staying in the team.

Lowton - 8 - Bang. Great goal and another solid performance. He looks a good un.

Clark - 7 - Needs to wise up a bit on those rash challenges and keep out of the book, but he looked solid enough.

Vlaar - 8 - Big. Big fella, big heart, brave - it was an excellent performance today and if he keeps this up, he can join a long and famous list of CB's we have loved. Oo ah indeed.

Lichaj - 7 - Did nothing wrong, and sometimes for a defender that's more than enough.

Ireland and Bannan - 7 - Both ticked along very nicely, moved the ball about and helped us tick - they're quite similar in some ways, but oddly enough they seem to be at their best when they're together.

El Ahmadi - 7 - Not quite up to the promise he's shown so far, but he had another good game and he fits right in.

Holman - 8 - Probably the least talented on the ball of our midfield quartet - you can overcome that though if you're the Tazmanian devil. Took the lead whenever they had the ball. This bloke works so hard it's difficult to believe he's Australian.

Weimann - 7 - Busy and sharp, be nice to see him score again, but he works defenders and he's always available for the ball.

Bent - 5 - Very often our moves broke down on him and I think he was lucky to stay on for ninety. We play with hustle and with quickness of mind and quickness of feet; Bent's a classy finisher, but I'm not sure he currently merits a starting place.

subs.

Westwood - ? - Unfortunately for him, the other sub kinda took the eye and I'm afraid I don't remember much of him. Sorry.

Benteke - 8 - Bustling, big and a real presence. He's got an excellent touch too and he seems to hold on to the ball very well. Missed a sitter and scored on his debut - a fine twenty minute introduction, can we see more please?

Nzogbia - 7 - Seemed to enjoy himself and seems to like the idea of aiming balls at Benteke. That might work you know.

The ref, Lee Mason was shoddy and more than a little unpredictable in his card distribution, can we see him less please?

And finally, a word for Nathan Dyer who capped his ninety minutes of niggling and moaning with an absolutely shameful dive in our box; that word is prick.

EXACTLY This.

I voted Holman MOTM for his workrate alone. His first touch can be sloppy, but he's not a headless chicken. He linked up play well at times, at others he was just a thorn in Swansea's side!

To add to your word on Nathan Dyer. I absolutely loved watching Concrete Ron angrily tower over him after he dived. I'm really hoping that's on Match of the Day later!

Ooh Ahh Ron Vlaar!

That was maybe my favorite moment of the match! I'd love to see it as a gif. Vlaar just staring down at Dyer like, "Little man, you should stop speaking now."

I laughed at whoever suggested we'd dominate Swansea in the match thread, but we did.

Haha, I had a really good feeling we were going to burst Swansea's bubble. Not as good a' performance as I would've expected, finishing wise. We weren't clinical enough for my liking, should've won 4-0. That will come in time though, granted.

Happiest positive I can take out this game is having a comfortable defense and goalkeeper, I'm less worried with them all. Quality defense in the making, absolutely loving Guzan aswell. Good result, hopefully we can keep this run going as a few 'winnable' games are in sight.

Without repeating everything that's been said - it's amazing to have 4 players contesting our MOTM and all for geniune reasons with a solid argument for each.

Last season would've been Petrov because he was the least shit or Gabby because one of his shots was on goal.

It hasnt really sunk in yet but we're so enjoyable to watch and the players are so committed it almost seems too good to be true. But Swansea fan's were probably riding the biggest high from thier excellent start but we just strolled in and burst thieir bubble.

I think getting a dissapointing loss on the opening day to West Ham was probably a bit of a blessing, especially if it got Benteke/Westwood through the door now rather than in Jan.

Â