• El Ahmadi
    • Bannan
    • Bent
    • Holman
    • Weimann
    • Westwood (for Ireland 70)
    • Benteke (for Weimann 70)
    • N'Zogbia (for Holman 78)

Excellent TEAM performance, best Villa performance in god knows how long. Intense tempo, excellent pressing all over the pitch the work rate of the team was incredible.

Guzan: - 8 - Two excellent saves in the first half, commanded his area well. Given is going to struggle to get back into the team

Lowton: 9 - Excellent strike for the goal, impressive work rate.. really big threat going forward

Lichaj: 7 - Looked good going forward, was sloppy at times though and his positioning could have been better on occasions but very promising performance

Concrete Ron: 10 - An absolute rock and a ready made captain. Solid at the back, comfortable on the ball and that run in the 2nd half :shock: - Villa legend material

Clark: 8 - Looks to be forming a good partnership with Ron, defensive positioning suspect at times but this will improve. Real threat from corners, will chip in with a few more goals this morning

El Ahmadi: 8 - Comfortable on the ball, pulls the strings in midfield and is a threat going forward. Very shrewd signing

Holman: 7 - Absolute work horse, runs and runs and runs.. gets into some really good positions and was involved in some good moves. His first touch is quite poor and is his passing can be sloppy but i like him

Bannan: 7 - Good deliveries and nice and composed on the ball.. doesnt pull the strings like El Ahmadi, i'm still not 100% convinced by him

Ireland: 7 - Some very nice through balls and first time touches, didn't see enough of the ball for me but he's without doubt our most creative force.. we should try and get him more involved

Weimann 7 - Worked hard, was unlucky with a couple of attempts. Again not 100% convinced that he will ever be anything more than a bit part player for us

Bent 7 - Worked hard and must be frustrating for him as there was very little of type of service he lives on. Looked to link up well with Benteke when he came on which was promising

-

Benteke: 8- Could have had a hat trick, great at holding up the play and looks comfortable on the ball. Excellent anticipation for his goal, has the potential to go on to be a very good player for us

Westwood: 7 - Didn't really notice him too much but that's probably down to the poor stream i watched it on when it was hard to distinguish one player from another.

NZogbia: 6 - Typical performance we've come to expect from him, just not good enough i'm afraid

Just brilliant. Really got at Swansea. Everyone played so well. Voted Holman MOTM for his sheer work rate but it could have easily gone to most of them. Lowton and Vlaar both excellent. Bent and Benteke linked up well. Lets push on from this!

Excellent TEAM performance, best Villa performance in god knows how long. Intense tempo, excellent pressing all over the pitch the work rate of the team was incredible.

Guzan: - 8 - Two excellent saves in the first half, commanded his area well. Given is going to struggle to get back into the team

Lowton: 9 - Excellent strike for the goal, impressive work rate.. really big threat going forward

Lichaj: 7 - Looked good going forward, was sloppy at times though and his positioning could have been better on occasions but very promising performance

Concrete Ron: 10 - An absolute rock and a ready made captain. Solid at the back, comfortable on the ball and that run in the 2nd half :shock: - Villa legend material

Clark: 8 - Looks to be forming a good partnership with Ron, defensive positioning suspect at times but this will improve. Real threat from corners, will chip in with a few more goals this morning

El Ahmadi: 8 - Comfortable on the ball, pulls the strings in midfield and is a threat going forward. Very shrewd signing

Holman: 7 - Absolute work horse, runs and runs and runs.. gets into some really good positions and was involved in some good moves. His first touch is quite poor and is his passing can be sloppy but i like him

Bannan: 7 - Good deliveries and nice and composed on the ball.. doesnt pull the strings like El Ahmadi, i'm still not 100% convinced by him

Ireland: 7 - Some very nice through balls and first time touches, didn't see enough of the ball for me but he's without doubt our most creative force.. we should try and get him more involved

Weimann 7 - Worked hard, was unlucky with a couple of attempts. Again not 100% convinced that he will ever be anything more than a bit part player for us

Bent 7 - Worked hard and must be frustrating for him as there was very little of type of service he lives on. Looked to link up well with Benteke when he came on which was promising

-

Benteke: 8- Could have had a hat trick, great at holding up the play and looks comfortable on the ball. Excellent anticipation for his goal, has the potential to go on to be a very good player for us

Westwood: 7 - Didn't really notice him too much but that's probably down to the poor stream i watched it on when it was hard to distinguish one player from another.

NZogbia: 6 - Typical performance we've come to expect from him, just not good enough i'm afraid

Pretty much exactly this.

I was pretty impressed with Westwood actually. Didn't get a whole lot of the ball but he showed an uncanny knack of coming away with the football when there was a tackle to be made.

I think Benteke could be one of the missing pieces of the puzzle. We have been desperate for someone with the ability to hold up play and give Bent a chance to get on the end of it. His passing may need a bit of work but I think he could be quite a valuable prospect.

I gave Bannan man of match today, although it could have been Vlaar, Guzan or Lowton quite easily. Bannan I thought was our main creative outlet, put in some great corners and worked his butt off to help Lichaj keep his flank under control in the second half.

super centre-back partnership..clarke can be reckless at times as we know but he's showing more and more confidence with each game and should be a permanent fixture in my opinion..leave dunnne on the bench!!!

so happy to see 90mins of attacking football from villa! couldnt believe my eyes! lets hope this is only the start of things and its not just a fluke like stamford bridge last year!

cant remember the last time there was a buzz like that at the end of the match in villa park! and for the first time since MON we asked the manager for a wave!

Lambert's plans are looking to be paying off...didn't know how to feel at the time of all these brave signings but I'm a lot more confident about them now!

Scared I'm getting over-excited though..keep it up guys...UTV

Really great performance. Comfortably better than anything we managed (that is to say, McLeish mis-managed) last season.

All the new signings looking positive. Biggest change is that there was both work-rate AND lots of efforts on goal. would've been robbery if Swansea had got equaliser, which made the Benteke goal so satisfying.

MOTM - probably Vlaar for an essentially faultless performance, but you could make cases for Lowton (great goal, and so much energy getting up & down the pitch), Guzan (early save was crucial - had we gone 1-0 down after 10 mins it would've been completely different game - we saw that one vs Everton) or Bannan (put in a lot of very good balls - keep doing that and he'll start racking up assists)

Great performance and a good result.

Another rock solid performance from Brad Guzan and he's now firmly our number one keeper. Clark and Vlaar are playing really well together and Vlaar is an instant fans favorite. Lowton continues to impress at right back and I look forward to when we get Bennett in at left back for Lichaj.

KEA wasn't that noticeable today but he kept things ticking. Bannan's deliveries are getting better by each game and he's starting to do the more simple things in the game better. Ireland worked hard but things didn't quite go his way today. Holman will be a cult hero at Villa Park, his work rate is ridiculous. He can make some nice plays but he's a bit rusty in his ball control at times. Great player to have in your team.

Bent linked up nicely with Benteke but for me he's still too much of a luxury player. Weimann was OK and he could have scored.

Benteke looks an absolute beast and had some very good touches and of course a debut goal! Just the striker we've wanted.

It's only early in the season but to me it looks like our best signing in many years is Paul Lambert. The change in attitude among the players is clear for all to see. Hope he stays here for a long, long time.

Were my ears deceiving my or did I hear an "Ooh Aah Ron Vlaar" chant go up at one point? Absolutely fantastic performance today from the big man and looks like he could become a really good player for us. Top marks all round from me - Holman's work ethic is through the roof and he's easily deserving of a starting spot, even if his final product needs work; Lowton was superb all game; Lichaj was fantastic going forward; Guzan looks to be becoming a top keeper (shades of Bozzie in the first half); Benteke looked dangerous as soon as he came on and could easily have claimed a hat-trick.

All in all, a great day and plenty of reasons to be positive down at B6.

Was very excited, and nervous, before the game. Now I'm just very happy. Really good performance and a good win. And it's only the bginning of this new team that Lambert is building. They're still getting to know each other and learning Lambert's way of playing, but it's looking very good already. I'm sure we'll have dips in form during this season, but if we can keep on like this, we won't be staring relegation in the face come the end of this season.

Hard to pick a motm yet again, but Vlaar gets my vote. Excellent and I'm really excited about the partnership he and Clark is forming. Only worry is Clarks disciplinary record. Is it 3 yellows already? But Dunne really needs to improve to get a place in the first team.

And Guzan. And I could go on about every player in the team today, but I won't. I'll just say that Holman looks like he'll be a very important player for us. He lacks some skills, but he never stops running. Both in going forward and create space, and backtracking. He was f**king everywhere.

Lambert looks like the right manager, doesn't he? :P

UTV!!!

We're clearly starting to see what Lambert saw pairing Vlaar and Clark, worked well together. Can't choose MOTM since all were good. Still need to work a bit on ball retention but that'll probably just improve as the season progresses and team gells better together.

I loved how our players ran after the ball and looked to forward.

What makes me more confident about this Villa side and this performance not being a one off is we did this against Newcastle, had Ben Arfa not had that moment of magic this would be our second win of the season, instead it's our first but the performance in both games was the same, we bossed both games and that is what excites me the most.

i went for lowton as MOTM, he looks like he's played at this level for years, setting a great example for the other young lower league players we've bought

vlaar was superb, flawless and clark is looking better playing with him too

bent looks shy of confidence too many times he seemed to turn away from goal and pass rather than towards goal and try a shot, still he probably had more touches today than the whole of last season so its not like he's going hiding

bentekkers on the other hand has tons of confidence, looked a great signing

i think the biggest positive for me is that swansea did turn up, they played well, dyer got in behind a few times, hernandez looked good and overall it was a very good game but we outplayed them, better work rate, better chances created im tempted to say better passing

Â